Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

tarlibone posted:

I haven't seen reruns of the old TV show since I was a kid, but I get the feeling that people who love the show probably know who Lemon Tea Esq. is? Seems like a really obvious reference to something I just don't get.

But more importantly... Perry Mason's legal education? Pshaw. He straight-up Kim Kardashianed his way onto the bar.

When Mr. Lemon Tea's name was finally said, I went 'Oh, okay'. In the old show Hamilton Burger was a DA so him being an ADA here does tie him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NowonSA posted:

Fun to think that the D.A. on the original show knew about Mason's shady origins and helped him cheat to pass the bar, and then just kind of went with it while Mason presumably kept going head to head with him in court. Maybe they reach a kind of truce on that after Mason helps sink the current D.A.

I wonder just how much of this was in the books and how much they're making up, because this is making Mason into just a ridiculously compelling character, and I'd love to see him being a combination lawyer and detective in future seasons set in this time period.

I also really like that we assumed Mason had a decent law background, but nope he's just gonna wing it and still kick rear end because the D.A. has freakin nothing, although I guarantee Mason's gonna have some piece of damning evidence tossed at him out of nowhere at the trial. I also like that they've kept the same bar exam for what, a decade? It's pretty funny to think about America not taking that poo poo super seriously when it takes a massive education and I'm sure a much more complicated test now to be a lawyer.

Drake's wife changed her mind too quick for my tastes, but then again we gotta keep things zipping along so you can't really do a slow burn on that. I guess I can buy that when the racism was properly directed at her and her husband she just decided "Yeah, screw Caesar you go get some justice for whoever you can."

I'll be shocked in Mason's partner lives through the season, having someone learn a huge secret and then get killed is pretty much all we need now for a full Noir bingo.

What I vaguely remember of the original show when my mom watched reruns of it, is when Burger was going against Mason in court, he was more concerned with justice being served than just winning the case.

quote:

Once Mason had exposed the true perpetrator, Burger often joined in Mason's motion to the judge to dismiss the charges against Mason's client so that Burger could then charge the actual wrongdoer.

I think Burger's more than happy to help Mason pass the bar, because when poo poo goes down, he'll be able to prosecute a shitload of people.

I agree that things are looking a little grim for Pete, but I hope not, he's a fun character.

I was pretty meh on this the first couple episodes, but I'm glad I stayed with it, because I am seriously a bit at the edge of my seat with seeing how everything is going to play out (I think my biggest question still is what part Sister Alice is going to end up playing by the end of everything.

I gotta say, episode 3, when Drake approached Mason outside the bar and gave him the broken dentures he found, that was really the point where my opinion changed from 'well, it's something to watch' to 'Oh, let's fuckin' go!'

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

NowonSA posted:

Yeah poking around more I have no idea how it could be that much based on other figures I've seen since I saw that 8 million figure, I think I saw it on an article that was announcing the second season pickup.

Maybe this article?

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/l...01iY1VyQUV6Rno.

quote:

Perry Mason, starring Matthew Rhys, has been renewed for a second season on HBO. The network announced that the show has put up strong numbers, with the premiere episode watched by 8 million people to date.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think about the only hope Pete might have is that Drake is back in play and knows about both Ennis and Holcomb. I would like if S2 has them as investigation bros.

But yeah, I too fell for Holcomb's half second of seeming morality when he started yelling at Ennis.

Stephen Root is doing an incredible job in his role, because I absolutely can't wait for Mason to connect the dots and destroy his argument. What an absolute piece of poo poo the DA is.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I'm a little rusty on Pete's reason for leaving Perry to work for the DA. I know they talked about it in the S1 finale, and I think it was that he didn't want to keep doing underhand stuff, like Perry getting him to pay off a juror.

I'm hoping there's some kind of twist to the gun thing, like he realized he's getting asked to do stuff like that no matter who he works for and doesn't go through with it.

I'm absolutely stymied with who they'll loo into next/what the twist is going to be and how this'll wrap up with only two episodes left. I feel like Grice (Sean Astin) is going to factor back into it, and there's something with Nygaard, but yeah, I got nothin'. At least I'll be surprised!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Goddamn it. This was my favorite show in years. At least we got two seasons, I suppose.

Perry's never getting out of jail now :negative: