Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
enjoyed the first episode, it was a little slow but they've got scene-setting to do so I'm OK with it

I like that they're making Mason a bit like Marlowe in that he's kind of a fuckup who's not actually all that good at his job but somehow still gets results

and him getting hosed off the bed got a genuine laugh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Twin brother next season!

I'm hoping he turns up as a completely different character and no-one bats an eyelid

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
so the gang kidnaps Charlie, and also obtains another baby somewhere because they figured they might need a spare I guess?

and they're too incompetent to keep a baby alive for a few days, but luckily that's their spare baby and Charlie is actually well hidden in a place not yet mentioned, being looked after by people not yet mentioned

and then when the spare baby dies they don't say "well good thing we got a spare then" and return the still-alive Charlie to the Dodsons, but instead give them the other dead baby, for reasons, and the Dodsons don't immediately say "hey that's not our baby"

and the whole church hierarchy is putting pressure on Sister Alice to stop talking about the resurrection, but it's all a double bluff because really they were planning a resurrection from the beginning

yeah that's gotta be it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

My understanding is the brothel baby was always intended to be the dead baby, and Charlie was kept safe out of the spotlight until it was time for resurrection. And then they made said resurrection happen, and now they can rake in the money and build their weird little religious commune or whatever. Also you gotta remember, they're $100k in debt, and the ransom was to fleece the T-1000.

so they murdered not-Charlie by, er, paying/forcing a heroin-addicted lactating sex worker to go to a hotel in the middle of nowhere and breastfeed him so he'd suffocate? does that seem at all likely as a plan to you?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
e: ^yeah that's basically my read on it. the church elders were trying their hardest to go back on the resurrection thing until it became clear that Sister Alice was going to keep on with it whatever, at which point they said "ok gently caress it" and pivoted into making it happen as well as they could manage

Taintrunner posted:

I think the baby was already the sex worker's kid, so she didn't have to be forced into doing it.

I could be wrong about this two babies theory, buuuut it sorta makes sense with this whole church resurrection conspiracy thing.

then why are they hiding out at a hotel in the middle of nowhere? why isn't the sex worker just living with her baby in the place where she lives?

and why did the Dodsons not only not notice that the dead baby wasn't Charlie, but didn't even notice that it was a different race?

this is a loving stretch, OP

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 4, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
honestly I was expecting after Holcomb's line that "they'll find your rat-chewed corpse in the sewers" that they'd end up finding Seidel's body and being able to link it to Ennis

but I'm OK with it ending as it did, it doesn't make sense for Mason to score a slam-dunk including taking down a corrupt detective in his very first case as a lawyer

e: also Matthew Rhys' impression of John Lithgow was loving spot on

NowonSA posted:

his expenses were perfectly reasonable Mason, take his word for it :argh:. Cute that one of his expenses was labeled as Maria too.

I thought that too at first but I checked and I'm pretty sure it's "movie: 0.25"

NowonSA posted:

Good call on this one too, Pete as the cop investigating someone Masons' representing, with each of them sure of that client's guilt or innocence, is some ready made character drama that should be fun as hell, and that dynamic would work well both in a low-stakes casual/friendly way and an intense high-stakes way.

yeah they've pretty nicely set up that next season will be Mason/Della/Crane against Barnes (or Berger, they dropped the hint that Barnes could be running for Mayor) and Strickland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
yeah it was to keep his eyes open

I think it was stated at some point but maybe not