Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Pollyanna posted:

I played FSN and Tsukihime god knows how long ago (12-13 years maybe????) and I’ve just been kinda bemused as Fate got loving massive somehow. I haven’t played or watched anything past Realta Nua and the cooking show. I heard Zero was worthwhile but I just didn’t care when it came out.

Is the extended universe any good?

The Heaven's Feel movies are extremely good imo. They've really recontextualized a lot of what I thought about the prior Fate stuff (UBW and Zero). I vaguely knew what the plot of the VN was, since I played the first two routes and had read about the third one on the internet way back when I was 17. But the movies are really good, and I'm more excited for part 3 of Heaven's Feel than I am for the 4th Evangelion Rebuild movie.

The cooking show is also a legitimately good cooking show.

edit: oh and the Kara no Kyoukai movies are also pretty awesome if you like weird Nasu-isms and nonbinary supernatural assassins.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Saber's political identity as king causing her child to have gender issues is such a great idea

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Endorph posted:

You can accept female king arthur being summoned into the modern day but a woman having a dick is impossible for you to understand?

in their defense it takes horny wizard magic for saber to have a child, its kind of a big deal that she is AFAB but then AMAC (assigned male at coronation)

the inuyasha children all have excellent character designs. I never really cared about inuyasha but I want to see what kind of hijinks these tomboyish/cool/doofy looking demon warrior princesses get up to

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Stairmaster posted:

most aligators don't make it out of the egg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwud_XQGjhQ

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Harlock posted:

I watched Gunbuster today and enjoyed it a great deal. The animation was pretty great and I love the late 80s/early 90s style.

It really has one of the all-time greatest finales. I'm such a sucker for its ending, it makes me get really emotional just thinking about it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
When is UFOTable going to give Taiga her own show

Just a chill jousei anime about a tomboy teacher looking after her (wizard assassin) friend's orphaned child and having dinner with his (mythological figure) visitors.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are pretty rad. I feel like the writing in them has actual teeth bc it's basically warrior princesses staring down the audience saying "I will loving kill you if you do any more harm to this planet"

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service recently and while I absolutely adore it and think it is a precious charm of a movie, it's the first time i've watched a movie and thought "oh this is just several slice of life episodes strung together to be a feature-length film"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Isn't her mom like a potion-brewing herbal witch or something? I kinda figured Jiji not talking was about her "growing up" in the sense of not needing to project some of her thinking onto her cat, not that it was her losing her witch powers (still hosed up though, let Jiji talk). i thought it was like, witches go off on their own to find their calling in life; her mom found her calling as a potion witch or whatever, and kiki found her calling as a flying delivery witch in a bustling town

if i missed out on some of the ending it might've been bc my friends were absolutely traumatized by jiji not talking any more so we might've missed it

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
there's definitely a conservative streak in ghibli stories that I think has a lot to do with anxiety about modernity. miyazaki's female characters are very like... archetypal in their femininity? old ladies, pure girls, mothers, that kinda thing. but within those very binary-adhering roles i think you still see some bold characterization. like in Laputa I think, there's an old lady who's a sky pirate queen? and I think Nausicaa kills a man with a sword out of pure wrath and later shoots down a plane with a minigun? and the matron of the mining town in Mononoke goes full Attack and Dethrone God

I guess a lot of the takeaway from Miyazaki movies maybe boils down to "Moms are tough," but I don't know if that's the worst thing for an internationally-renowned family animation studio to be putting out there. Like Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa feel like a gender revolution compared to Disney movies (Mulan returns to her prescribed gender role at the end of the movie; Nausicaa develops an earth-mother quality but it never negates her status as an action heroine)

note that i haven't read the nausicaa manga yet

edit: i basically totally agree with you endorph, i guess i just personally think of it as "well i can't expect grandpa's anime studio to have all the answers" and appreciate the good things in them

Cephas fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 4, 2020

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Furnaceface posted:

Im the side character that gets a single panel of doing something dumb once a chapter.

i'm the gay "romance" option thats actually only 1/2 a chapter long before the game fades to the Bad Ending screen

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I don't think I've ever seen anyone talk about Tamayura but it's gradually built up to be one of my favorite animes. It's just so gentle and pure, I really love it. Having a cute girls slice of life anime framed around the main character healing from her father's death thanks to the thoughtfulness of her friends is just super touching :kiddo:

It also has one of the g.o.a.t. anime openings thanks to Maaya Sakamoto
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2PUY0jWwyw

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
The OVAs first, then Tamayura Hitotose, then Tamayura More Aggressive, then the movies last

It's written and directed by Junichi Sato, so it's extremely in the style of Aria the Animation. I also feel the need to warn you that the twintail girl is obnoxious and holds the show back, but that the whistling girl is extremely good.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845076

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Acerbatus posted:

there was a small spider in the laundry I was doing today and I dare anyone else to name a worse thing that happened to them (not really because they cant).

I agree, that poor leggy buddy :(

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I'm 13 years late to the show but Dennou Coil was extremely good and features the best anime dog
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VD1WMzMlBQo

Is it fine to read Pluto if you haven't really read or watched Astro Boy?

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I wish the Yawara manga were completely translated. The anime drags out the non-judo elements a bit much. And seeing judo techniques lovingly rendered by Naoki Urasawa is a real treat

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
That's a great Lain av, very pretty and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
is butch hartman the fairly oddparents guy? does he not know that he could spend 30 seconds drawing a squat little timmy turner style Ranma and win my eternal amusement