Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

I hate this so much in the shonen jump app

Yes I know I’m scrolling the wrong way, show me the previous chapter you bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

this owns but if I had to describe the genre of this series the word "drama" would not feature prominently

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Oh OK, that makes more sense.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

There's an old joke about Shakespeare: that if Othello were in Hamlet and Hamlet were in Othello there'd be no tragedy, because Hamlet would figure out he was being tricked and Othello would just stab his evil uncle in Act 1. This would make a great anime imo, dimension hopping Shakespeare heroes out to save each other from their respective terrible fates

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Wait, there’s a Colors anime? How was it? I like the manga a lot, but I would have thought its aimlessness would make it hard to adapt, like trying to make a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Wow, Haikyuu’s last big arc is really good.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

just finished chihayafuru s3; my life now feels muted and empty

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Sindai posted:

Sounds like it's time to read some Chihayafuru

listen I gotta wait for the anime on something, I'm ahead on like everything else I like that has an anime adaptation

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I always feel kinda ambivalent when I'm reading a series and I find out it actually has an official english translation with a bunch of volumes

Like I bought every book of witch hat atelier instantly but I'm reading giant killing right now and it's like... it's good but... is it good enough to spend like $140 on actually high-quality english translations? idk

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Motto posted:

these sorts of discussions always just make the series being talked about sound really boring and suffocating as a whole

I don't think fans of a thing are obligated to discuss it in a way which makes it sound most interesting to bystanders.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Mahjong is a video game, so video games are good.

I’m on a losing streak so mahjong is bad, actually

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Where are, repeat, where are the anime girls? The world wonders.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Acerbatus posted:

I find it so weird that Mangadex has "loli" under themes like, cooking or something instead of in the content warnings with gore and sexual violence and poo poo.

It doesn't make a practical difference. It's just kinda weird.

Yeah you see this once in awhile in anime fan culture and it’s creepy af every time. I think people say it and don’t really realize what they’re saying or where it comes from.

I think it’s used in Japanese as a loanword too? But I don’t think it means anything that would absolve folks using the word casually.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

drat I'm watching bookworm s2 because I like the LN and I can see why people dropped the show after seeing the orphanage plotline. It really is not well handled and it absolutely comes off as here's a bunch of non-characters who are miserable. Look how sad they are. Oh look Myne saved them, except not really as they still aren't free and have to do everything she says. They're really grateful though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Being an IK for a dnd us politics thread feels like the kind of dire fate you’d expect to be assigned to a hapless protagonist in an isekai ln

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

doctor worm, surely

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

It’s not easy to adapt FSN (because the three routes are in dialogue) but I don’t think it’s impossible. I remember thinking the first half of the ufotable UBW anime was good.

They can’t just replicate the VN beat by beat though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’d like to thank “What I Talk About When I Talk About Running” for saving me from the embarrassing fate of having the only Japanese books I’ve read be light novels

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I'd recommend you to check more Haruki Murakami books, even if he's (admittedly) kinda one-note at points.

Arist posted:

Murakami is really cool if very horny. I read The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle last year and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World this year, and both were really good, though I only really appreciated the latter in retrospect. The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle in particular really stuck with me, the plot barely exists but the way it reads and flows is like a really compelling dream. I bought a bunch of other books of his I need to get to at some point.

Yeah, I was going to check more of his books out of the library earlier this year, but, well. Events transpired. I'll get around to it at some point, honest.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

This is the opposite of “the beauty of tradition” but I could watch sumo wrestlers henka all day. The henka is a technique in sumo where the wrestler sidesteps out of the way and lets their opponent just sail out of bounds like they’re a matador or something. It is widely regarded as “unsportsmanlike” and “bullshit” but that’s what makes it so funny.

Good example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5TXO9cqH_c

nrook fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 4, 2020

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

My friend plays on mahjong soul and has acquired an elaborate set of stereotypes about the boorish, naive playstyles of people who selected the catgirl avatar

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The first thing I noticed about the Saki anime was that the relationship between Saki and Nodoka felt more explicitly romantic than in the manga, and like, it’s not like the manga was subtle about it either.

I always thought it was funny that Nodoka’s special skill was being, like, actually just good at mahjong.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

How unfortunate

I guess it was just a loser in the marketplace.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Excuse me as I isekai

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I think it’s inherent to the act of reading a fictional story with romance in it to ship the characters. It’s no different from hoping Jane and Mr. Bingley wind up together when you’re halfway through Pride and Prejudice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I feel like dragonball kind of falls apart after the ginyu squad shows up honestly. the saiyan stuff is top quality and the namek adventure with vegeta as a wild card is also good, but after that it just gets slow and kind of not very interesting. the fights are also not as good. I'd rather read goku vs tenshinhan than goku vs frieza.