Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm really liking BNA so far :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WHERE BE TRACTOR

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh god, my avatar is even animating in reverse

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

reverse the gangtags too you cowards

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My av is still backwards

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

not that you can probably tell lmao

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist Doubts This Really Works

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

El Burbo posted:

Acronym Definition That's Rotated Weekly

holy gently caress

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

Sentai's new release of Shirobako is going to have an English dub

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1288909074155757569?s=20

Sentai? Gross

I should really keep watching Shirobako though, the scene in episode 4 with the VA audition made me want to die

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was legit kind of pissed about Shirobako disappearing but hey, it's one of the shows that's on HIDIVE, so VRV covers it... for now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I forgot what thread I was in so I clicked on this expecting Mingus

This is good too though

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Acerbatus posted:

what is it?

There's five main girls. After one of them "won," with an epilogue and everything, that chapter ends on "1/5."

Basically, each girl is getting their own ending story, lasting about 10 chapters each.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't actually understand why people say the part 4 anime is bad

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, the way they recut those three fights on the same day ends up not working but... that's really all I can think of in terms of major problems.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Complaints about Part 4's subject matter and pacing being a sudden nosedive for the series are crazy to me as a person who suffered through Part 3's needlessly drawn-out fights that weren't even good half the time.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm finally finishing BNA and I'm on the last episode. I had heard the core allegory was nonsensical at best but I kinda cast it aside, thinking "How bad can it really be?" and folks,

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

scary ghost dog posted:

i completely disagree, i think its one of the most powerful messages ive seen in anime

It waffles between really direct, specific anger at racial categorization and how the wealthy especially enable and propagate it, and "The Illuminati are doing secret blood rituals to control our minds! Race mixing waters down your bloodline! Minorities are emotional and dangerous and a threat to society in large numbers!"

I don't think they're actually trying to say any of that but the messaging is all over the loving place.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

the guy whos mad about racemixing watering down your bloodline is the villain tho

Like the point is 'yes if a bunch more japanese people had kids with foreigners thered be less pure japanese people, but who cares'

That doesn't really scan when the villain being of pure blood also gives him goddamn superpowers and makes him immortal. Like, for all intents and purposes what we are shown seems to confirm that yes, mixing bloodlines makes you weaker.

scary ghost dog posted:

a lot of people have complained about the “minorities are dangerous and can explode at the slightest provocation” thing (nirvasyl syndrome) but the show went out of its way to establish that anyone can suffer from it, its just a metaphor for furious rage, even the super inbred human leader guy gets it when hes cornered. ultimately i think the beastmen arent a metaphor for minorities, but instead a more general metaphor for any poor and downtrodden people. the show is an anthem for passion, and the beastmen are passionate, not emotional. the “illuminati” trying to develop a drug to remove that passion is pretty real as well.
ultimately i think the reason people have trouble with the messaging is because they read it as a racial allegory instead of a class allegory, which is immediately a flawed interpretation because the main character goes from being “human” to being a “beastman,” something thats supposed to be impossible and could change the world if discovered. that only really works with a class based interpretation.

The problem is that the show's fundamental messaging is much more analogous to race than anything else. If it is supposed to be a class metaphor, it's too tied into that language of "humans" vs. "beastmen," and never adequately provides a non-essentialist viewpoint on why those rowdy beastmen are always so violent.

Also, rich people don't want there to not be any more poor people, they want the exact opposite? It kind of falls apart.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Like, if anything it would make more sense along those lines if Alan was trying to turn everyone into a beastman to assert some kind of weird supremacy over them? Like, that's its own can of worms but it's at least a little less confusing that a rich guy would want to make everyone else the underclass?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Endorph posted:

yes but also the villain is the bad guy. He is bad. He is an evil person. Frieza is super strong and has an intergalactic empire and the moral of dbz isnt 'landlords are the ubermensch'

Him being the bad guy does not automatically mean every single thing he says is a lie. There's a lot of stuff in that speech that gives the audience no other adequate explanation and is never meaningfully contradicted and so we kind of have to take at face value. DBZ doesn't even really make sense as an example here because super tough dudes are dime a dozen in DBZ, but also because if you're not a Saiyan (and even if you're a Saiyan, if you're not Goku) in DBZ you might as well not show up to fights because you're probably just going to eat poo poo.

e: Like, I'll grant that Alan going "we can't get Nirvasyl Syndrome!" is explicitly wrong, but then how can he do all that other poo poo if it was all untrue?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought Michiru and Nazuna were cute

they are

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point is, what other explanation in the world of the show is given for these events? There isn't one. Having your villain say something is not the same thing as challenging it. It's just a confusing allegory, it doesn't mean I think Star Wars is pro-Death Star, jeez

e: the problem with that bit in BNA is basically that if we don't accept the villain at their word there's just a gaping loving hole in the story

I don't even think this is a massive deal, I just thought it was weird

Arist fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 21, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rewatching, I did mistakenly conflate the immortality sources, which was gained from a similar method as Shirou, but there's definitely stuff he can do that Shirou explicitly cannot soooooooo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When I watched Promare in the theater I was getting pretty worried after an early scene that the plot was going to turn into Imaishi tackling prejudice by having all the characters turn to the camera and go "Racism... is bad" which was just about the least appealing thing in the world to me on many levels. Thankfully it doesn't stay on that course.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm generally a guy who supports series being as flexible in tone as they want or need to be, and I thought Baron Omatsuri was okay, it just felt kind of antithetical in a lot of ways to what I enjoy about One Piece.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It feels like you're reading a different One Piece if you think that clicks very well, but I'm talking more about like the general tone and bleakness of it just turning me off.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The point of the Vivi scene is that they're still friends. Also she doesn't, you know, die. Most of the rest of One Piece involves Luffy chasing his friends to the ends of the earth trying to save them in one way or another, the only person he really has to let go of after that is Ace

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The toku stuff in Gridman ends up being the most generic and least interesting part of the whole thing, though I've never been super into tokusatsu outside of like, enjoying Power Rangers as a kid. When the series shows its hand it gets way more compelling, though. Excited for the follow-up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chaos;Head is based on a VN in the same series as Steins;Gate, but they honestly have very little to do with each other. The Chaos;Head anime isn't even from the same studio as Steins;Gate.

Steins;Gate is consistently one of the highest rated series on MAL (it's #2 at the moment) and I really, really enjoyed it. Fantastic voice acting in both Japanese and English (the English script is also phenomenal) and really interesting direction.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ah gently caress netflix got TPN and now I have to watch it again, siiiiiiiigh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's easily their best-known movie in my experience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wish I was still 13, when I enjoyed Gurren Lagann

That's not meant as a dig at anyone, btw, I just tried to rewatch it recently and could not get into it for the life of me

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh hey, I was about to make a post about wondering what happened to the Deca-Dence dub, but they finally put up a new episode today.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel like Steins;Gate gets just enough right that the stuff it gets wrong is maybe a little easier to forgive. I don't love the way they play the Luka stuff but I think that its heart definitely seems to be in the right place, yeah.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 24, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's so good, the music is amazing

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Willo567 posted:

So what's the gameplay like

It's a tower defense

but there's railguns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GorfZaplen posted:

Some VNs that are flag based like this let you skip stuff you've already seen to get to the new stuff, is S;G one of those?

It is, do what I did and just hold down the fuckin speedup button the entire time

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Waffleman_ posted:

RIP Horriblesubs

That farewell letter is bizarrely sentimental considering what they were actually doing. "All good things must come to an end, thank you for joining us on this journey," buddy you were just ripping subtitles from underpaid CR translators and then explicitly mocking their quality

Like, this sucks, but jeez

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I started watching Shirobako again now that there's a dub up on VRV (even if it's a Sentai Filmworks dub) and lmao I forgot about the loving Initial D race in the first episode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mill Village posted:

This is me with my glasses and a mask all the time.

https://twitter.com/n_denchu/status/1318558031760732168?s=21

haha it me