Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I did have formal teaching but I didn't find learning Japanese to be as bad as people suggested it would be. The grammar is different but makes sense and while kanji can be horrific the whole manga subculture is kindof built around people with relatively poor kanji knowledge. Also if you stick to games you can just cheat and look them all up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Sad I missed the flipped avatars

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Hey I've been thinking, why is it that character concept art in anime always has an arm out at an angle with extended fingers? Once you've noticed it, it is hard to ignore.
It's a welcoming gesture inviting you into the series?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah I think it's cool overall but there is like... a lot of nonsense. Like the entire first game is comedy harem stuff, so it depends on your tolerance for that.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah the 'trilogy' is just Muv Luv and Muv Luv Alternative

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

S;G has a bunch of nods to C;H (any time they mention Shibuya or FES basically) but they're really not important. C;H doesn't even have an official English release.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The anti-Rowling is here to retroactively add problematic content to things

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The most upsetting part of this story to me is that Homestuck still has an insane Twitter fandom in 2020

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We eased our lockdown on crazy Homestuck fans too early, and now we have a second wave

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Strange to see a popular shounen show on a list with 9 other popular shounen shows

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the original design looks better and that having a good grasp of anatomy doesn't mean you always adhere to realistic proportions

Stairmaster posted:

And by which of course I mean Muv-Luv Extra
I really liked some of the stories for it in Photonflowers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Interesting that redrawing animes to look white is woke now

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't have any issue with someone drawing fanart of Uzaki as a medium height white girl but they shouldn't claim to be 'fixing' a character design when they clearly do not understand it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Tabletops posted:

holy poo poo this show is boring as gently caress. I'm getting whiplash at how poorly paced and directed it is compared to even S1 of railgun. does it get better?
Not really to be honest. The high point of Index is probably the Sisters arc you've already seen from the other side in Railgun.

There are some Sisters followup arcs you don't get in Railgun that might be interesting though. Personally I enjoyed Index I and II because the dumb villain motivations kindof wrap around to brilliant

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Part 4 is still almost entirely monster of the week. I liked it more than SDC at least in the manga because a) I thought a greater proportion of the fights were interesting and b) there's slightly better connective tissue between the fights than just "we're still heading to DIO, here's another one of his goons".

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I wouldn't content warn for anything in JoJo unless someone was particularly sensitive

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assumed all of those things were already illegal? What's changing exactly?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

Does this mean the fansub community is effectively dead though (I think most of the original raws are uploaded by someone already in Japan but I could be wrong)?
Doesn't this only affect print media? I guess this does expose scanners to more liability.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i think... it might be better if the new anime does the first four arcs and saves all of kai for later, instead of ending s1 on chapter 6, cause if you do that you could spread s1 out to 7/7/7/4 for episode distribution for each chapter and that's just like. if you want to do it evenly. four eps for each feels like it's squeezing it way too much for anything but chapter 4
I've read that the new anime will be doing just Onikakushi and Watanagashi for its first cour, which would put it roughly on this schedule.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Spirited Away is a really cool 2/3rds of a movie imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A lot of Miyazaki's films are pretty similar in key respects so weebs who are familiar with his other work may be less impressed by Spirited Away. The same applies to the other breakout anime film, Your Name.

Personally I think Spirited Away has exceptional visuals but I think the ending is rushed and unearned.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think in most cases it's more slapstick humour than abuse

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Were the actors literally just reading their lines from the manga then?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I legit went back to play through it again because it was so good.

I know there's a bunch of interquens and spinoffs and stuff, are any of them good?

I feel like stuff like the dating sim would be hard because it'd be so hard to go back to chuuni goof Okabe after being with character development Okabe for so long.
I'm not sure about that. FSN does have multiple endings that are labelled as 'true' but it's also a linear story with a single endpoint (that retroactively makes the other endings seem a lot less acceptable, even). If you're doing a plot game you probably want a defined endpoint for your story, and I think the Steins;Gate one is amazing after having got all the 'failed' endings.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

if I don't get s;g's true ending do I need to replay the ENTIRE game to get all the flags?
Yes, or at least the entire game after the point at which you stopped getting the true ending flags.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Luka's my favorite of the romantic interests but I really feel Faris is the best actual match for Okabe. Her ending was pretty good, too and regardless of if you pick that or continue on Faris shows a great deal of strength of character.

The romance with Kurisu just feels weird because he's known her for like two weeks and was actually friendly with her for maybe half of one.

I've never really had a crush or anything so maybe that's a normal timeframe but I dunno I'm not really buying it.

I keep thinking back to that scene in Hate+.

"Were you close?"

"I knew her for two days."

"...Oh."
I mean from Okabe's perspective it's a lot longer and she helped him through what were absolutely the most difficult days of his life

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Apart from anything else I feel Okabe (true ending spoilers) has a duty to watch Kurisu and make sure she never so much as thinks about time travel ever again

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

A longtime Eva translator that Twitter decided to demonize

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If shounen protagonists smoked it would usually be underaged. IDK if there's an explicit rule against depicting that (thinking of the time they censored Jotaro's cigarette) but I imagine it's frowned upon.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I hope Hetalia fans enjoy the new Hetalia.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Looking at volume summaries it seems like World Stars isn't anywhere near as offensive as Axis Powers was. Like it's been running since 2014 without too much attention

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Will probably rile up the "it's racism to make fun of Italians" crowd though

quote:

This chapter reintroduces the concept of the series as Italy makes his way to a meeting and arrives late. After Germany scolds him, Italy embarrasses Germany by showing pictures of him drunk at Oktoberfest. After the meeting, Italy begs Germany to give him a ride home, as his car and many of his possessions have been stolen. While driving, Germany finds it difficult to navigate Italian roadways due to the other drivers, who frequently ignore traffic laws, and continues to follow his car's GPS, even when it puts them in danger of crashing into a building. Upon arriving at their destination, Germany decides to do some sightseeing while he is in Italy.

quote:

The comic opens with an explanation on the differences between German and Italian summers, then segues to Germany's sightseeing as Italy shows him around. However, Italy shows the pickpockets and scam artists who take advantage of tourists and the overly-crowded Spanish steps, much to Germany's annoyance. Italy is confused as America found it fascinating, and Germany lists more desirable locations that they could visit. However, Italy takes this as a compliment, and even Germany admits that it essentially is.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

*putting away my pre-prepared notes on historical revisionism and war crimes denial* It's actually really unfair to characterise an entire nation's drivers like that, guys.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The part about Italian drivers trying to kill you is accurate though

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The guy who defeated the Vikings was probably not as popular with the Vikings

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I usually use jisho.org

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't really understand why CR was making an original show with an American studio in the first place to be honest

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Zero does work alone to some degree but it is very much a prequel and a lot of stuff will just kindof end or appear to have no point if you don't also do FSN.

Stairmaster posted:

There's no real good adaptation of the original novel (Fate/Stay Night).
Yeah there isn't really a complete alternative to the game.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

When I saw the cg mechs I knew it was doomed from the start
The original game is full of CGI mechs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The only good Muv Luv anime is Akane Maniax