Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

chamois posted:

they should just only let people who have covid go to the games

Finally justice for the plague blankets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

e: also it will make Jerry Jones angry to have to pretend he hates a football team with a betusked pig as its mascot

wild pigs are currently a plague upon Texas

don't take my word for it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I love news stories that make you lick your lips.

Afaik wild pig tastes awful

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Captain Dickweed posted:

winning the Super Bowl when I was 6 and it's been a tremendous wet fart ever since.

Is it better to win once and then suck perpetually (or suck perpetually and then win once, either way), or to be a perennial contender but never win?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Snyder is just going to double down.

I wonder if that would be enough for the other owners to think about forcing him out?

Like Richardson?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I don't think Snyder will stonewall this but instead hell slow walk it as long as he can in hopes that people forget about it eventually.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I could see them going to something vaguely nationalist like Minutemen or Patrio-- wait, that ones taken.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s either this or discussion on how there won’t be a season this year.

What's the funniest way for the season to blow up?

My submission: Open as scheduled and planned, Tampa Bay infects the entire NFC South, season is cancelled.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FakePoet posted:

I get this feeling as well. I have zero investment in what they pick in terms of the team, but as far as ideas that appeal to me, I'd use the opportunity to go with something different than most other teams.

Meaning, not just "noun + s"; Washington Battalion, Washington Armory, Washington Legion. Phalanx was the first one I thought of, but probably not as good.

Washington Redcoats is pretty different!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I thought Sports Illustrated made a good point, Washington should go a year without a nickname, no point rushing the process.

edit: https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/03/five-potential-team-names-for-washington-football-team-dan-snyder

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 4, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

NFLPA has voted to recommend to cancel the entire preseason, not just half of it

Imo that's not actually good for players, not just because in 2011 we had lots of extra units injuries because players were out of shape, it'll probably be worse this year, but also because it'll mean a lot of players won't get a shot to show that they deserve to be on the team

On the other hand, the virus

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's totally going to be % of cap. That's the only way it makes sense for either side.

15? 20?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Offensive line rankings. Let's talk some fat men.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-offensive-line-rankings-all-32-units-entering-the-2020-nfl-season

quote:

1. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
2. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS
3. DALLAS COWBOYS
4. GREEN BAY PACKERS
5. BALTIMORE RAVENS
6. CLEVELAND BROWNS
7. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
8. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
9. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
10. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES

11. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS
12. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS
13. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
14. DENVER BRONCOS
15. TENNESSEE TITANS
16. DETROIT LIONS
17. CAROLINA PANTHERS
18. BUFFALO BILLS
19. HOUSTON TEXANS
20. NEW YORK GIANTS
21. ARIZONA CARDINALS
22. CHICAGO BEARS
23. MINNESOTA VIKINGS
24. ATLANTA FALCONS
25. LOS ANGELES RAMS
26. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
27. NEW YORK JETS
28. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
29. WASHINGTON
30. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS
31. CINCINNATI BENGALS
32. MIAMI DOLPHINS

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I feel like this much hyperemphasis on one position is bad for the future of the NFL but what do I know.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Grittybeard posted:

Maybe I'll be wrong but at least in the immediate future I don't see people hating on Mahomes like they did ARod. I mean I'm sure there will be some, and I know I'm going to hear a lot of laughing about the Chiefs not being able to put a team around him together. But I feel like most will just be 'well poo poo, but if anyone it might as well be him.'

Rodgers didn't get much "hate" in the way that you're thinking of until after around 2015 or so.

The NFL reacted to Rodgers's 2010/2011 in more or less the same way they're reacting to Mahomes's 2018/2019.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

speaking of which, when you get paid $450,000,000 where exactly do you store it? Most people that rich have it tied up in various assets and stocks, not in hard cold cash. You don't want it tied up in any one bank because FDIC only covers up to like half a million, and at 450M that's a lot of banks to spread it over.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Alaois posted:

I don't think anyone would hate an offensive lineman even if he won every super bowl ever

Kyle Turley

Richie Incognito

J'Marcus Webb

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm a little surprised the response wasn't stronger given like a third of the league's teams are owned by Jewish people.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kalli posted:

2015: Roster is starting to fade, Rodgers still Rodgers, go only 10-6 and lose to.. the Cardinals? You lost to the 2015 Arizona Cardinals in the playoffs?

This was the year that our #1 receiver for the Cardinals game was, iirc, Jeff Janis because everyone else was injured. And Rodgers still very nearly managed to pull off a miracle win throwing Hail Marys to an UDFA receiver.

edit: Look at that goddamn stat sheet. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201601160crd.htm

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You know, when I read White Noise in college lit, I never thought Hitler Studies would be like a real thing a decade later.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Crossposting from NFC North since I know there's a bunch of people here who like to bag on Rodgers. Normally the story is that the Packers are wasting Rodgers by not getting him weapons, this take turns it around and says that it's Rodgers who is wasting Davante Adams.

quote:

One of the more interesting hot takes about the Packers I've read this summer: Rodgers is a poor fit for Davante Adams.

"You have the best receiver in the league for the first 2.5 seconds of every play. Learn to play within structure."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dunno what it was but he reposted it (probably with different wording): https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1281678993213841408

edit: lol

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

and how many of those fields would be rendered unplayable for months after 2 NFL games? The medical facilities that teams are used to having would likely be more than NZ's hospital system has for their entire population.

I'm pretty sure a country with 5 million people has sufficient capacity for a fraction of 5760

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

We don't need another 40 pages of name propositions

Just sit on your hands until we get the reveal

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

I would love to see some of these rugby-inspired elements return to football, not that I think they ever will, but man it looks real elegant

I have been watching Aussie Rules to bide time and I've really enjoyed it, I wouldn't mind some kind of forward-kicking progress thing being added to the NFL, even if it might never get used

https://twitter.com/NFLRT/status/619260579979595776

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tarbrush posted:

The question is basically how much is Synder willing to pay to get his preferred name a few months early. If the realtor's pitching for $20 grand, he's probably going to make a modest chunk of money for an hours work. If he's after a million, he's going to discover the fun of being trampled by the legal system and lose his shirt.

This is a person so stingy that he sold expired peanuts and year-old beer to his fans.

It's going to be a long legal showdown no matter how much the realtor is asking for.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rodgers is wondering whether we'll have a season lol

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/12/aaron-rodgers-are-we-gonna-have-a-season/

Also holy poo poo the PFT comments are actually good for once and the shitheads are being downvoted heavily except for one comment about the "rioters"

2020 is crazy man.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a face shield 4 inches from your mouth isn't going to do anything.

e: why does it have ventilation holes.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm curious whether he'd bother to get an endorsement/permission from the Apache tribes like the Seminoles

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

"Our sponsors, fans and community"

In that order

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If they're teasing it this heavily it's not gonna be something important.

You tease a story to drive up clicks when it doesn't grab eyes on its own

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Trying to consume football 'ethically' is asinine.

lol going to bat for a racist poster's vendetta

see future posts

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 15, 2020

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about

I've yet to meet a person whining about Smollett who didn't eventually drop a bunch more dogwhistles:

BrownThunder posted:

Dont know why the Browns would want to pay a lying bitch like Myles Smollett so much money but stranger things have happened in a city that smells like EDP's underboob

And this guy has a habit of picking a poster and following them around trying to harass them, I'm really tired of reading that poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I stand corrected then and withdraw my earlier post.

Can he at least knock off the weird posting vendettas?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

There goes a whole lot of revenue for local businesses. If there's no season, or a season without attendance, then that's going to be a pretty severe economic hit to my city.

The team should be fine as they've been sitting on a giant pile of cash for emergencies exactly like this.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Here's my list of 25 players who should be in this top 10 list.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yeah who could possibly conceive of their football team's owner engaging in illicit sex acts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

fsif posted:

Oh COME ON.

He's not actually saying there isn't a story, just that usually when a story is teased this much it's nothing.

Deadspin isn't WaPo either

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Restart Steam, everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dunno how legit this guy is:

quote:

https://twitter.com/RadioHarrison/status/1283609989169512449

Front office and team personnel loving media members in exchange for scoops and leaks. Protecting leadership, coaches, players from getting in trouble with their wives, etc and then using that information for blackmail, leaks and to keep people obedient (Gruden, Allen, McLovin).

it's a massive boys club + mafia-style organization where the loyal are protected and act with impunity while a gaggle of media reporters are all heavily aware and involved in all the above information - but say nothing because access is gold in a major sports media market.

We can trace this back to the catfish no one looked into because they were all feeding "her" scoops (JLC), RG3's dick pics, the cheerleader scandal, all the way up to today when almost every real story broken by media is a leak made available through horse-trading.

It's the most toxic organization in sports for over a decade. To think that level of toxicity wasn't pervasive off the football field is naive. They trot out fan favorites as window dressing while talentless leaders keep jobs because it's too dangerous not to. That's over now.

An ongoing joke in Washington has been "Bruce Allen must have something on Dan Snyder..."

Yeah, that wassn't a joke. And I guess we'll know the details tomorrow.

There's also this: