Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

That's one of the reasons I prefer physical books. A lot of the books I've acquired have memories associated with them. For instance, I have my dad's collection of the Harvard Classics (dark green and gold binding) shelved next to my desk, with the Aesop / Grimm / Andersen volume spine head ripped off because I kept pulling it off the shelf as a kid. (Kids: don't form the habit of pulling books off the shelf by hooking the spine head with your finger.) Another volume has tooth marks put there by my first puppy.

I was looking through my copy of The World Encyclopedia of Comics the other night. It's an unabridged-dictionary-size book, nearly 800 pages. When I was a kid, my record for taking books out of the library was 25 books at one time, including the World Encyclopedia of Comics, and then I managed to schlep the whole load uphill three blocks and down one, which was the distance between home and library.

This is the first joke book I ever had, and introduced me to the wonderful world of puns, knock-knock jokes, and Tom Swifties, which no doubt contributed to making me completely insufferable as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, another thing I remember from elementary school is Accelerated Reader, where you would take these computer tests on books and answer questions about them (with more points for longer/harder books).

I remember that the only person with more points than me was this Chinese girl in my class, and I got really salty about her gaming the system by skimming long books.

Heh. I'm old enough to remember having the original SRA set in elementary school, although none of my teachers made any organized use of it.

During filmstrips or movies in class, I used to sometimes excuse myself to "go to the reading room" instead. At that time, I didn't realize it was the room for remedial reading classes -- I just thought it was a place I could go to grab something to read for a while. Now I wonder what the remedial reading teacher made of me occasionally wandering into their room.