Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
but if there is a set number of overs to be played who cares? why put it in the score? when you see baseball scores, you don't need to specify how many innings have been played in the box score, you just inherently know that there are 9 innings in a game

cricket is a game designed to be far more complicated than necessary by people with little else to do, it seems. not unlike MLB baseball lol

however I am absolutely certain I could hit the wickets first try from regulation distance. im ready to chuck em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diorama

i remember when all this was fields
isn't it runs vs wickets?

BUG JUG

barnold posted:

okay now how do I parse something like this

like okay i understand the big number is the overall score but what's the slash? the number of "home runs"? what the hell is the number divided by slashes next to the "target"

That 134/4 is 134 runs for 4 wickets. So, they've had four guys put out in their innings. Their target is how many more runs they need to win.

Mekchu

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lock posted:

anything secret base / bois-adjacent is a quality read/watch

Fumble Dimension is god tier

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

barnold posted:

okay now how do I parse something like this

like okay i understand the big number is the overall score but what's the slash? the number of "home runs"? what the hell is the number divided by slashes next to the "target"

OK yeah when I was first getting into cricket the insane number of, er, numbers was my big hurdle too. 216/3 means they have scored 216 runs and have 3 'outs' (wickets) against them. The number for the second team, 143/4, means that the other team has 143 runs and 4 outs/wickets gone. The (12.3/20 ov) means they've finished 12 'ends' (think innings, where one inning is 6 pitches barring penalties). The .3 after the 12 means that they're 3 'pitches' (bowls) into the 12th 'inning' (end). So 3 more pitches this inning (3 more bowls this end). Target means what they need to score to win. e: the 20 in that '12.3/20' means that there are 20 overs to play.

So basically this score card is from a T20 game, where the top team has finished. They scored 216, and had 3 batters (batsmen) get out. Now it's the second team's turn, and they've finished 12 of their 20 overs, and are halfway through the 13th. They've scored 143 so far, but have had 4 batters get out.

The final numbers, 'need 74 runs in 45 balls' is kinda self-explanatory; there are (barring penalties) 45 more balls to be thrown, and they need to score 74 in that time. RRR means 'required run rate' -- how many runs the team needs to get each inning (over) to catch up to the target score.

Lock fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 10, 2020

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Lock

also be careful if you look at aussie cricket scores, those madfolk switch the numbers on the sides of the slash. so the outs go on the left, and the runs on the right.

insanity, I tell ya.

Lock

Mekchu posted:

Fumble Dimension is god tier

Lock

barnold posted:

but if there is a set number of overs to be played who cares? why put it in the score? when you see baseball scores, you don't need to specify how many innings have been played in the box score, you just inherently know that there are 9 innings in a game

cricket is a game designed to be far more complicated than necessary by people with little else to do, it seems. not unlike MLB baseball lol

however I am absolutely certain I could hit the wickets first try from regulation distance. im ready to chuck em

bc there are a bunch of different-length versions of cricket, and also when you look at a baseball scoreboard doesn't it usually show what inning they're in

BUG JUG

I just read and watched all of 20020 that is out this far and I think Jon bois needs his own thread somewhere but here is a good start: that story owns fuckin bones

more falafel please

forums poster

BUG JUG posted:

I just read and watched all of 20020 that is out this far and I think Jon bois needs his own thread somewhere but here is a good start: that story owns fuckin bones

:hmmyes:

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

Twenty Four

Jon Bois is a world treasure

BUG JUG

I want to live in the elite UAB murderverse.

But yeah he's probably one of the best sports adjacent writers around.

more falafel please

forums poster

I didn't read today's 20020 yet but I would die for manny and nick to get another minute of OBT

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

BUG JUG

I am starting to reverse my position on the bone owning of this story with the last chapter! Needs more Nick and Manny!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG

VERY LOW RATINGS!!