Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sgt. Politeness posted:

They would have argued the exact opposite point if it were the other way. Really grasping at straws here.

Yeah I can't see how it would make a difference in this case. There could be precedent where an all white jury was considered unfair to a person of colour, but white people judging white people isn't generally considered a thing where race matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Earwicker posted:

dear lord are you suggesting that people in gbs are posting bullshit???

:monocle:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Worf posted:

this has been a real gently caress of a lifetime when it comes to continually realizing how hosed things are tbh

i have no idea what kind of balance im supposed to strike between being aware of things/trying to fix them/staying sane/looking at the climate melt before my eyes in real time anyway

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Purgatory was abolished, I think, and all THOSE ghosts were amnestied into heaven except for a few real stinkers.

Wasn't that Limbo? Then the catholic church was all, oops we just made that one up, our bad. We hope the unbaptised babies got to heaven but who knows :shrug:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He is gonna have to move into his mom's basement. Crash on his brother's couch. :qq:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Picnic Princess posted:

Yet another rich person buying their way out of the legal system, what a surprise

Either everyone lied about him being broke, or someone else paid big bucks to keep him out of court

Because he's fuckin guilty y'all

If I was a victim of a crime and I got to decide between the criminal going to a prison for a few years (tops) or personally getting millions of dollars to improve my own circumstances, I'd probably take the money. It sucks that a criminal is going free with a petty fine, but that's life changing money for the victim.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CocoaNuts posted:

Nothing to worry about, folks. The corrections system knows its poo poo (or that it's poo poo).

Ghislaine Maxwell moved to a low-security prison in Florida for 20-year sentence

Ghislaine Maxwell has been moved to a low-security federal prison in Florida to serve her 20-year sentence for sex trafficking, according to the Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP).

Maxwell, who has filed notice that she intends to appeal her conviction and sentence, is currently listed as an inmate at the Federal Correctional Institution in Tallahassee.

She was moved on Friday, according to a source close to the defense. The facility is different than what Maxwell’s attorneys had requested. They asked that she serve her time in Danbury, Connecticut.

Maxwell, 60, was found guilty of conspiring with Jeffrey Epstein to recruit, groom and abuse minors.

“There is nothing cushy about Maxwell's designation. She is going to be surrounded by barbed wire and fences. Her new facility is a far cry from the minimum security camps that people may imagine from television," said Duncan Levin, a former federal prosecutor now in private practice in New York who was not involved in the case.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ghislaine-maxwell-moved-low-security-prison-florida-20/story?id=87367124

Oh man, sentenced to spend the rest of your life in Florida.

Can't find any pictures of the inside, but boy loads of articles want to pain this as Club Fed because they have yoga. Yoga is the probably the cheapest exercise there is.
https://www.saltwire.com/atlantic-canada/news/ghislaine-maxwell-moved-to-florida-club-fed-featuring-yoga-wellness-100756754/

quote:

But wait! During her incarceration, Maxwell can participate in yoga, pilates, weightlifting, softball, flag football, frisbee and there’s a track for running. The prison also holds a talent show.
She can also become an apprentice electrician, baker, horticulturist, plumber and cosmetologist.
Oh wow, plumbing and Pilates. I'm sure the wealthy socialite will love every minute of it. :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Seems like a fun place if this incident from 2006 is anything to go by:

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna13415618

quote:

Guards are prohibited from bringing personal weapons into prisons but are not screened the way visitors are, Wilson said.

Guards must pinkie promise not to bring weapons into the facility.