Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
So I didn't start watching wrestling until 2019, the end of it, and I had a lot of really weird perceptions, so I wanted to share them and see what you guys thought wrestling was, based entirely off cultural osmosis.

- My 4th grade teacher told us that the Rock only became a popular wrestler because he invented the "stomping while you do a move" thing
- Since it's all fake, nobody ever injures themselves
- Wrestlers would never break character under any circumstance, even in a court of law
- (This is gonna be a common one) Wrestling was obviously fake to anyone who wasn't a complete and utter smoothbrain and only dumbdumbs liked it or thought it was good.
- For some reason I thought Vince McMahon actually died in 2007 and didn't find out it was a work until 2016 when I noticed him on a friend's stream of RAW and asked if it was a rerun
- For some reason I thought it was waaaay more fantastical than it actually is, with the Undertaker casting literal spells in every match, people summoning demons, flying (with wires) like a hong kong kung fu film, etc.
- When stone cold stunner'd austin and got arrested in 1997(?) our school banned wrestling talk because it was taken to be a real thing, one kid got sent home for wearing an austin 3:16 shirt and we had a school meeting about how wrestling was full of "criminals". Our principal was very very serious about this.

What did you think wrestling was, before you watched wrestling? Was there ever a point you thought it was real?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU