Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Slippery posted:

in 1988 I fired up a 300 baud modem attached to a commodore 64 and I called the outpost BBS in NH. 603-888-3840, I still remember that number after all these years and I never even posted there. that was the first one I called. then I found others and eventually a few where I sort of fit in. somewhere I have a 5 1/4 floppy with an ASCII screen capture showing I posted over 1000 times on a certain BBS. that was worthy of note then, in 1992

at the time BBS culture (lol) was 98% weirdos. imagine trying to meet cool people IRL in 1990 and talking about a BBS. let me tell you it did not work. now things have changed and forums are populated by people that aren't entirely weirdos/outcasts etc. but this place is like those places were. it's welcoming to those who don't always have many other options. so I'd hate to see it go. I have become older, if not cooler, so it's not a huge issue in my day to day life anymore. but I still like it here and it shouldn't be deleted or erased out of spite.

something of the spirit of all those old meetups at Denny's and at the commuter parking lot at 0300 still lives on in this stupid place so don't loving walk away because there are still a few people who don't have anywhere else to go

go back to slashdot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU