Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Oh, hey there! I could swear there was a game named TrackMania already.

...So it seems I can't join the club without the highest tier subscription? drat, well bye then I guess.

Really, this game exists because of community building. Some of the top teams in the TM community formed in the free demo versions of the original (paid) TrackMania games. Currently you can't even add a team tag to your name or chat, if you have the free version. And apparently custom content creation is very restricted too. I think they might be shooting themselves in the foot here, as we can also see in this thread: there's not much community stuff we can do without having everyone pay the $30 subscription, and this thread seems a lot shorter than previous TrackMania threads some time after release as a result. What is everyone doing after finishing the training and Summer 2020 campaigns? Even the TM Exchange for the new game seems kind of dead.

I'm also not very interested in paying for the game again since I've already paid for Stadium three times: as TM United, TM2 Stadium, and TM Turbo (and technically by registering my TMO/TMS keys in TM Nations ESWC). Okay, they added ice, but other surfaces and basic physics are the same. I might change my mind if they do substantial content updates or reintroduce some of the additional environments from the old games, or new ones.

e: Oh, look at the logo: this game actually seems to be called TrackNania. That also solves the confusion with TrackMania (2003). Please fix the thread title.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Raised track parts, huh, what is that?

Oh, you mean the sausage road!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Right. TM does not have analogue throttle/brake so if you have it mapped to an analogue axis you just make it harder for yourself by being able to respond slower. Many situations in Stadium also require pressing gas and brake at the same time which you cannot do with that setup.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
TM does have analogue steering, and it seems like it can be an advantage on the ice.
Keyboard players often map their brake key to somewhere else on the keyboard, like shift, to be able to press gas+brake+steer at the same time. I've used WS for gas/brake with left hand and the arrow keys to steer with the right hand.
Current setup is gas/brake with the arrow keys, and steer with a joystick with the other hand.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

~Coxy posted:

What's the purpose of gas+brake?

Drifting mainly, and air control.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Nadeo are some of the most incompetent developers to have ever lucked into running a cool game franchise, but I haven't seen anything as bad as their current failure to record times properly in a long time. There seems to be a huge issue with cheated times, something that they've had the last 15 years to address but only seems to have gotten worse. In the first few days, they just lost records. And now there's this weird stuff going on on the servers. In a game that is all about setting fast times, that is kind of inexcusable.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
TM has never been very suited for console since it's all about customization. The TOTDs now also tend to be modded to hell with custom blocks. They did release TM Turbo on console as more of a fixed game that was more about completing the campaign.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Let's also not forget the mediatracker, that seems complex to operate with a gamepad!

Apparently yesterday's TOTD had copyrighted music in it...

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
TrackMania United is still good and alive. It includes Stadium as well as 6 other environments and you don't need to pay a subscription for it.

Once someone mods ice from TrackNania into it, it'll be perfect.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Almost everyone of my TM team is back to TMUF. I didn't get much further than the training campaign and some of the summer campaign before I got tired of the confusing interface, of playing more Stadium, of not being able to change my nickname or host my own server and the fact that all the TOTD maps were a mess of custom blocks all about showing off rather than making skilled maps. And all the other things you can do in TMUF but not in TrackNania.

e: Oh yeah lets not forget that rounds mode, basically the core mode of the game, is/was so broken that you could not even see your opponents (it showed them with a delay) so you basically could not actually race others, only play a sequence of time attacks with a shared scoreboard. Did they fix that yet?

Entropist fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 5, 2021

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's also possible to do that in TM2020, it's just not clear whether it has been done because the replay format is different, possibly encrypted and they were not able to analyse it.

The data is quite convincing. Also, fun fact: Riolu drove the Trackmania Turbo Super Trackmaster medals, which may also be cheated, seeing how he made use of it so much! That would mean the cheated times are part of the game release.

I'm surprised there aren't more, because there was a huge network of account sharing and other sketchy stuff around Techno. A few of them are mentioned but there are many more. But they did only investigate the top 20 I believe, so probably more will surface.

Would be nice to have the TMF solo ladder cleaned up a bit if Nadeo actually deletes the cheated times.

It is impossible in online servers though, so it cannot have been done in the Grand League itself or any such thing. So it's not like Riolu is not a very fast driver, but he did build his fanbase and fame upon having all these records and being able to break them quickly.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 21, 2021

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Art. Better than a Wirtual documentary.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Abx0r posted:

CMC.Zooz

It is me! I finally paid money for the game because the discounts were big enough. Haven't actually gotten around to playing yet though.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I nolifed the first few training maps, fear my times!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Ah, they copy-pasted Shootmania Royal to TN? Glad they managed to achieve so much in the past year of development with all that subscription money!

I was hoping for, like, some new environments or something.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Like something where you don't just understeer around and have to actually make an effort to keep grip and avoid sliding out, as in every other classic TrackMania environment except Stadium.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Hey, welcome back!

Yes, it was great fun torturing everyone with my maps in the goon league back in the day. It would be fun to do it again but as for me, 1. I have not really gotten into TN (although I did get club access, I barely used it) and 2. I have much less time for gaming than back then...

But hopefully others are interested!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm happy that they finally decided to continue developing the game to perhaps in a few years contain a similar amount of content as 2007's TrackMania United. It was a bit silly that they left the game as a demo version with only one car for so long and you had to buy the old TMUF to get the full TM experience.

Time for me to start playing the new game too! I never really got into it because the StadiumCar is rather boring out of all the existing TM cars, but with the others it should be fun.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Desert is the most pro e-sports environment with a great balance between keyboard and controller for top performance. Too bad they ruined it by pushing Stadium instead.

And Rally is the most skilled environment, the one with the largest gaps among top players (at least in time attack). So we have two good ones to look forward to!

Island is also cool because it is the most skilled in terms of consistency. It is very high risk/reward driving so you see a lot of crashes and time gaps even at the highest level in competitive matches.

Coast is a bit similar to Desert in that keyboard players can perform really well.

Only Bay is kind of dumb and does not add anything but well, many people seem to like it. It is kind of a cross between Stadium and Island. So we got some good content to look forward to! Certainly more interesting than this sluggish Stadium car that just drives on rails that they've been pushing for the last 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Hah, this is the car where you could always get skill gapped the hardest, except maybe the Island car. Looking forward to seeing the Wirtual fans cry when they get annihilated by the few boomers with 20 years of experience playing the Rally car that are still around.