Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

oh wow that's actually on the level of "four balls on a cliff" as an explanation only those are the wrong balls and there's rape and why don't we tear down the patriarchy yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Fell Fire posted:

"Pregnancy has occurred" is probably a good sign of someone not being a virgin, but other than that . . .

Look, there are a lot of people who would without hesitation throw down over virgin birth not only being possible, but also having definitely already happened at least once. And if it happened once, it could happen again

e: I had a brief fear of this in middle school actually

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 01:42 on Mar 31, 2024

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Fister Roboto posted:

Imagine a perfectly spherical breast...
physicists theorizing about women

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Look, there are a lot of people who would without hesitation throw down over virgin birth not only being possible, but also having definitely already happened at least once. And if it happened once, it could happen again

without an angel coming to you in a dream to tell you about it, the concept of spontaneously getting pregnant is terrifying.

it's inside of you. growing. the doctors won't help. it's changing your body. it's making you crave things. everyone around you tells you it's a blessing.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I'm sure it says something that pretty much every movie about virgin birth is a horror movie where it's the antichirst, and no cheery ones about Jesus 2.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think that is possible for like, frogs, but in humans it just gives you tumours.

E: asexual reproduction that is not birthing the antichrist, although perhaps frog antichrist might have happened along with the frog rapture I wouldn't know.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I found what appears to be a close plagiarism of the above book online and its horrifying. It's focused around India though and various things about marriage etc there. Identical descriptions of "virginity" and such. It does mention how if you get semen on a vulva they can technically get pregnant.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

I think that is possible for like, frogs, but in humans it just gives you tumours.

E: asexual reproduction that is not birthing the antichrist, although perhaps frog antichrist might have happened along with the frog rapture I wouldn't know.

I got curious about parthogenesis in mammals once and found a study suggesting it happens more than we think, but doesn't prodcue viable embyros so they just die at ridiculously early stage (like only a few cells). I guess that's related to the teratoma formation you mention? If you think about it, mammals are weird for not being able to do it, seeing as it's been seen in birds, fish, reptiles and amphibians.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The real question we should be asking is what kind of lizard was Mary and why didn't she have original sin?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The real question we should be asking is what kind of lizard was Mary and why didn't she have original sin?

Did Jesus have original sin? He was a man, so he had to have been born with sin, but sins are seen as actions against divine will and he was also divine and acting upon his own will. Fun conversation starter for Easter Brunch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Door Frame posted:

Did Jesus have original sin? He was a man, so he had to have been born with sin, but sins are seen as actions against divine will and he was also divine and acting upon his own will. Fun conversation starter for Easter Brunch

This is how you start a schism

That or a Muslim being extremely rude to you

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The Door Frame posted:

the immaculate conception means Mary was born without original sin, so

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

venus de lmao posted:

Maybe if you're catholic :can:

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Jesus's sin is that his songs aren't as good as Judas's in JCS.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Original sin is stored in the tail.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

mycatscrimes posted:

Jesus's sin is that his songs aren't as good as Judas's in JCS.

:hai:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Elviscat posted:

It's usually right up there near the top, they come in different sizes, but the labia minora guide you right to it like those bumpers in a bowling alley.

So, to continue the analogy, you’re supposed to hit it with your balls as hard as you can?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Stoatbringer posted:

So, to continue the analogy, you’re supposed to hit it with your balls as hard as you can?

no, you're just supposed to hit it at the right angle to knock it over

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

i don't think it's necessarily racist to suggest that a cop textbook written by three male doctors of middle eastern descent may not contain the most open-minded and up-to-date information about women's health.

I think you should expand on this

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

venus de lmao posted:

This is one of my biggest Catholic theology pet peeves. Mary was immaculately conceived so that she could be born without original sin, so that Jesus could later be born without original sin.

But if god can just loving wave his hand and prevent original sin from infecting a fetus, then why not just make Jesus immaculately conceived?? What's the point of the extra step????

This is the PYF bad theological arguments thread, right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Mary was a fan favorite, and the fics got out of hand.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Jesus had to gestate within Mary because she had an absolutely boss immune system and God wanted Jesus to inherit those antibodies. Jesus wasn't immune to the diseases he treated, his body was just that good at dealing with invaders.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

OwlFancier posted:

Original sin is stored in the tail.
I thought it built up in the uterus until it overflowed about once a month. When a woman is pregnant it all gets absorbed by the baby, which is how it gets passed on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait since when was Mary a virgin birth? I thought Jesus was the only one that got that?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
She wasn't - immaculate conception doesn't mean the person giving birth was a virgin, it actually means that the person CONCIEVED had no original sin. Mary was immaculate, Jesus was virgin birth, they were two separate miracles.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's because Catholics revere Mary and the church had to come up with a reason for her not to be a disgusting cesspit of sin like they call every other women

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BioEnchanted posted:

She wasn't - immaculate conception doesn't mean the person giving birth was a virgin, it actually means that the person CONCIEVED had no original sin. Mary was immaculate, Jesus was virgin birth, they were two separate miracles.

Right, "conception" specifically means "fuckin'," so the fuckin' that produced Mary had to be clean from original sin (immaculate) or Jesus would have been magicked into a tainted, sinful uterus like the rest of us. But the process of Jesus getting in there wasn't a conception.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if any of these freaky new age churches hopped in on the artificial insemination wagon.
"Our children will all be immaculate!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
'immaculate' doesn't mean 'without sex'. Sex is not a sin within marriage. In Church doctrine she was conceived without original sin. I honestly am not sure why it seems kinda odd, like it would mean more if she willingly went along with this whole virgin birth plan if she were just a normal sinful girl trying to be better, but don't look for nuance I guess

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

loving within marriage is not sin within most Abrahamic faiths. So Mary's married parents loving is not a problem. They would have to do, like, a really good sacrifice at the temple to get all the sin off their card, then immediately go home and start loving before they sinned again and ruined it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The notion of the immaculate conception is almost as old as Christianity itself so it's got about 2000 years of baggage attached to it. I wouldn't try too hard to unpack it without being prepared to spend some time in medieval theology.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've got a Cultural Background study bible that is good if you're the sort of nerd who occasionally goes 'wait, what *did* mourning rituals look like in Egypt at the time?', it's a huge book that is about 80% explanations of cultural context for stuff we were expected, as kids, to just take on without any explanation at all.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Seems like a lot of hassle could have been avoided if God had used the immaculate conception technique on every baby, but I can see how that would get boring after a while.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Seems like a lot of hassle could have been avoided if God had used the immaculate conception technique on every baby, but I can see how that would get boring after a while.

Well that’s His fault for not dealing with the problem at the second generation. Or the tenth.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

it's because society hates women hth

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

can you blame them, with how much sin women generate?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PYF bad women's theology: cavalier dismissal of spiritual self-examination

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

You guys keep talking about spontaneous self-impregnation like it's never happened.

https://www.merrylinmuseum.com/immaculate-conception-of-maria-rosenthal/

It's art not history but horrifyingly well presented.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

HopperUK posted:

I've got a Cultural Background study bible that is good if you're the sort of nerd who occasionally goes 'wait, what *did* mourning rituals look like in Egypt at the time?', it's a huge book that is about 80% explanations of cultural context for stuff we were expected, as kids, to just take on without any explanation at all.

You can't just say that and not give us an author or ISBN or something, because that sounds legitimately fascinating.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

loving within marriage is not sin within most Abrahamic faiths. So Mary's married parents loving is not a problem. They would have to do, like, a really good sacrifice at the temple to get all the sin off their card, then immediately go home and start loving before they sinned again and ruined it.

Be easier if there was a little room off to the side instead of having to go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

You can't just say that and not give us an author or ISBN or something, because that sounds legitimately fascinating.

Apologies!

It's this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0310452686

ISBN 978-0310452683

I really like it. I think there exists an NIV too but this is an NRSV translation which I prefer. The reviews say the Kindle version is good but I find I can't concentrate on heavier reading without a physical book and the physical book of this is very nice indeed.

Sorry for the derail! I am nerding out about bible.