Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

tmfc posted:

whoaa, what a gorgeous pipe! brings a whole new meaning to the term 'total smokeshow'! :D i wish i could gently caress that pipe!!

With a bris gone horribly wrong, you could!

Some fun stuff we’ve been chatting about in the discord:

The Perfect Cigar Blend subscriptions are very good, and the Black level is awesome. Some really great ultra premium sticks in there.

LCDH Customs is a website that is foolishly ripping off Habanos branding but it looks like their subscription box is great, too. Ophidion got like 8 custom rolls for $100 shipped to his door which is at least a 30-50% discount.

E: lmao what a fucken snipe not to quote the person I’m responding to

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Feb 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'm a very occasional cigar smoker, and I'd probably smoke a cigarette with my coffee every morning if it weren't bad for you, but what do people enjoy about pipes? Why did pipe smoking fall out of style vs cigarettes and cigars? I'm really curious to try it and have some supplies on the way. Is it a tastier way to get a nicotine buzz?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pipe smoking is finnicky as hell, which is probably why it's not as popular. It can take some practice to get the proper packing and cadence down. However the reward is in the purity of it - you can pick exactly what you're putting in your pipe, and even get into making your own blends. There's a lot of variety in pipe smoking, which makes it easy to either find a perfect comfort zone or choose based on your desires in that exact moment.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

a dingus posted:

I'm a very occasional cigar smoker, and I'd probably smoke a cigarette with my coffee every morning if it weren't bad for you, but what do people enjoy about pipes? Why did pipe smoking fall out of style vs cigarettes and cigars? I'm really curious to try it and have some supplies on the way. Is it a tastier way to get a nicotine buzz?

I adore my pipes, it’s different from cigars in my experience because there’s a lot more variables to account for. With a cigar, you’ve got just the stick and how you store it. Pipes have the pipe, filtered/unfiltered, whether it’s caked, the pack job on that particular bowl, etc.

Additionally, there’s some maintenance. Not much, but pipe cleaners are essential. I’ll put a few bowls a day through a pipe, so investing in a nice reamer to scrape back excess carbon buildup is so worth it. A clean pipe smokes like heaven. I find that for my tobaccos and usage, a reaming every week or two isn’t out of the question.

I was on again off again pipe smoking for years before finally finding what worked for me. I’m still a daily cigar smoker, but finally have found pipe tobacco and pipes that work for me.

If I could do it all over again, I’d just get myself what I’m using now: a Falcon pipe stem with a Meerschaum bowl. I use the dry rings, but they’re totally optional. The smoke is really dry and can keep up with my fast pace. I spent a lot of money trying to find what works for me.

If I were just starting out, I’d try a Missouri Meerschaum Ozark pipe. They are quite lovely, and a stupendous value given the price.

If you’re interested in full steam ahead from there, check out my Falcon recommendations. And the Pipnet reamer kit is pricey but worth every penny. Most reamers are very bad.

And starting with tobacco, pipe smoking is already so cheap compared to cigarettes and cigars, I can’t really recommend getting cheap tobacco. There’s good ones out there, but I threw a lot of good money after bad trying to find some perfect economic tobacco.

I’d check out a few classics like Three Nuns and Presbyterian Mixture and 1Q and BCA, but honestly I’d probably go straight to GL Pease on whatever site you’re shopping from. Pease does a little of everything, and they’re always high quality. That doesn’t mean you’ll like ‘em all, but you can at least zero in on what you like vs what you don’t and that’ll help you figure out what you might want to try from other blenders.

Anyway lots of words, but I hope they help :v:

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ease of use is a big part of why pipe smoking has fallen off and cigars haven't, but I'd speculate that an additional reason may be that cigars have become a very particular kind of status symbol in a way that pipes haven't. In popular culture, cigars typically signify a specifically masculine form of wealth and success, which is why you always see shows about mob guys and ruthless CEO's, old money geriatrics and power brokers, and the political elite all smoking them (which is why you see some guys who want to project that image smoking them too, despite the fact they may be dirt poor and smoking garbage).

With pipes, they can signify all kinds of poo poo. Thinkers and academic types, hicks, the working class, the aristocracy, the elderly, romantics, insufferable dorks, the masculine or dandyish, the effete, etc. Hell, the materials and shapes even have different connotations. It doesn't really have a fast and simple built in status symbology like cigars.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mine says “be gay do crimes”

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

NewFatMike posted:

Anyway lots of words, but I hope they help :v:

Thanks for the advice on good starter stuff. I bought an estate pipe with some sample tobacco but nothing has arrived yet. That Ozark pipe is almost exactly the style I wanted to try so I'll keep that in mind.

Origami Dali posted:

With pipes, they can signify all kinds of poo poo. Thinkers and academic types, hicks, the working class, the aristocracy, the elderly, romantics, insufferable dorks, the masculine or dandyish, the effete, etc. Hell, the materials and shapes even have different connotations. It doesn't really have a fast and simple built in status symbology like cigars.

It's funny you mention this because I really didn't think about the hick, working class etc connotation. When I was searching for why people liked pipe smoking, there were tons of guys who seemed like they were roleplaying a bad 'intellectual' or 'manly' stereotype and I was afraid pipe smoking was just some dumb accessory. I figured I'd just order the stuff and try it myself (and ask here, because most goons seem fairly well adjusted compared to other places)

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

a dingus posted:

It's funny you mention this because I really didn't think about the hick, working class etc connotation. When I was searching for why people liked pipe smoking, there were tons of guys who seemed like they were roleplaying a bad 'intellectual' or 'manly' stereotype and I was afraid pipe smoking was just some dumb accessory.

There’s definitely some of those types on youtube. One in particular is a really insufferable “southern intellectual gentleman” nut who is desperately trying to style himself as a plantation owner caricature or some poo poo without a hint of irony, and is really just using pipe videos as a gateway into his hosed up neo-confederate traditionalist politics. These types of weird “dude gurus” are in everything now. But luckily for every one of those losers, there’s a bunch of regular people who just talk about pipes and tobacco in practical terms and guide you to the useful info.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I mostly smoke corn cob pipes and they are goddamn great for how cheap they are. Missouri Meerschaum will outsmoke most briars. Embrace the hick.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve hurt my baby

:negative:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mike nooo

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

No lie, my stomach dropped when I saw that. Bummed for you man. That being said, it's like when I scratch one of my watches. Just chalk it up to character / patina, and keep on keepin' on.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’s kinda crumbling apart all over the place now. Replacement won’t be the worst thing, just keep in mind how delicate meerschaum is, kids!

I’ll be getting something with a sturdier lip this time around, I do love the floral carved look :unsmith:

Rattlehead
Nov 20, 2004
Only dead fish go with the flow.
Was that due to aggressive reaming? (I don't smoke pipes.)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I used the wrong reamer size and it just plunked those bits right off. I guess I always tried on my sturdier one first.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You were reaming a meer? I thought one of the benefits of meers was that they don't need to build a cake, so you can just wipe them out after a smoke. At least, that's how my calabash works.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I dunno what to tell you, cake builds up in mine no matter what I do. I’m a pretty heavy smoker though, so that’s probably it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I'm a pretty light smoker, but yeah I just twist a paper towel in my meerschaum bowl after each use.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I ream my meerschaum. It's fine.

In other news, my wife got me a clay pipe from Townsend's. It rules.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Origami Dali posted:

There’s definitely some of those types on youtube. One in particular is a really insufferable “southern intellectual gentleman” nut who is desperately trying to style himself as a plantation owner caricature or some poo poo without a hint of irony, and is really just using pipe videos as a gateway into his hosed up neo-confederate traditionalist politics. These types of weird “dude gurus” are in everything now. But luckily for every one of those losers, there’s a bunch of regular people who just talk about pipes and tobacco in practical terms and guide you to the useful info.

Yeah after watching StuffandThings and a few other tobacco reviews, that guy popped up in my YT recommended list. My first impression was that there's no way his Foghorn Leghorn affectation is the way he grew up speaking. It's as if a millenial from Worcester, MA went around talking like Quint in Jaws. Then I saw a "The South Was Right" book behind him on his bookshelf and was like :yikes:

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

StuffandThing and MuttonchopPiper are the only two I bother watching. I really liked GAPiper too, but his channel seems to have gone kaput at some point.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Origami Dali posted:

You were reaming a meer? I thought one of the benefits of meers was that they don't need to build a cake, so you can just wipe them out after a smoke. At least, that's how my calabash works.

Meerschaum should be wiped clean after every bowl; the only thing that should happen to a meerschaum is a darkened patina on the inside from tobacco oils and maybe a slower, richer patina from oils naturally occurring in the skin of your fingers/palms while holding it. You should never build up cake in a meerschaum or Calabash…that means old burnt tobacco was left in waaaay too long and hardened up. Your 20 year old daily smoker should feel the same as your brand new one if you’re caring for it correctly, just darker in color.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
About a month ago I posted about trying pipe smoking and after about 8-10 bowls I think I've figured it out. I had a lot of ashy tasting smokes, trying the 3 pinch method & the Frank method. As a newbie my takeaway is that the method is just a means to create a good draw. My best bowl is just some 1q stuffed in and tamped down until I got my draw to "like sucking soda through a straw".

I bought some EMP and Nightcap and was underwhelmed. Now I'm looking forward to going back and trying it with a better draw.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

drat, you're doing great if you've got a handle after 8-10 bowls. Getting a solid smoke without having to relight 20 times a bowl took forever. I've been smoking so infrequently these past few years (hurrah for kids!) that I'll probably have to start all over when I pick up a pipe again.

As a cigar guy, I really really liked Billy Budd. I was on Englishes for a while, but mostly settled on VaPers. Give those a try too some time if you like spicy stone-fruit!

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
We'll see if I keep getting good smokes! I've only had one decent one so far. My last few bowls I've had to relight maybe 2-4 times after the charring light but I don't sweat it. I almost quit until my latest bowl... I thought I had it figured out but my mouth always tasted like an ash tray after so I figured something was up.

I have a bunch of samples including a burley and Virginia. I liked the burley my first time trying it but I think I'll have to revisit them all again.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I mostly smoke corn cob pipes and they are goddamn great for how cheap they are. Missouri Meerschaum will outsmoke most briars. Embrace the hick.

I have a Missouri Meerschaum question: Is it bad if I scorched the pointy end of the shank that protrudes into the bowl of my MM hardwood pipe? It’s mostly still there but some of the edges have burnt and crumbled away like charcoal. The walls of the bowl itself are fine.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Dick Jones posted:

I have a Missouri Meerschaum question: Is it bad if I scorched the pointy end of the shank that protrudes into the bowl of my MM hardwood pipe? It’s mostly still there but some of the edges have burnt and crumbled away like charcoal. The walls of the bowl itself are fine.

Nah, that happens to almost all of mine as they get broken in. Zero problem, just occasionally taste it at the end of the bowl as it's in the process of charring away.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
Finally been having some good enough weather in the SF Bay area to pipe it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2KKGgK-0w

Been kicking off the season with Virginia and VaPer blends. I picked up some Erik Stokkebye Night Slice and so far I'm loving it. Highly recommend if you are into VaPer blends. I think I'll crack open some of that Orlik Golden Sliced this afternoon.

Choosy judges choose Orlik.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 23, 2023

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Well poo poo.

The good news is that if I cram the shank back in there it sticks pretty good, so I can probably keep on smoking this thing with or without some glue.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's a corncob. Throw it in the crick and whittle a new one.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

I suppose you’re right. I guess I’ll just have to smoke one of those other pipes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Come alive, thread!

Sometimes its the environment that matters as much as the stick. Though this stick is very good.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Mizzou + Night Slice + Beer(z) in this episode of All My Cobs.

Mizzous are one of the cheapest Missouri Meerschaum offerings ($7.25 at corncobpipe.com as of this post), and I’ve had a couple of duds (really loose stems), but they are honestly one of my favorites. They are nice and light with a small but not unusable bowl. The Mizzou provides a short(er), yet plenty sufficient smoking session. Great for travel, camping, fishing. Cheap enough to be practically disposable but break in nicely when you keep them around.

The Night Slice is new to me this season. Actually this is my second bowl, but so far I’ve been very impressed. This is my first tobacco from Erik Stokkeby (4th Generation) and I’m definitely going to look out for more. Really solid VaPer. Beautiful fresh cut grass notes, nice bready-yeasty flavors, a pinch of pepper, really classic.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 17, 2023

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I finally got to try Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant. It's supposed to be an English aromatic crossover blend with an "Irish Mist" topping but to me it tasted like a mellow English/Oriental. Maybe a faint whiff of cocoa/honey every once in a while. Quality wise it's up there with American Patriot but something about the bourbon & burley combination in A.P. makes me favor it by a slim margin.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The weather is great, I’m super enjoying some Boswell Northwoods that must be a year old by now while having tea on the front porch.

I love an overcast, breezy day.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hello thread!

I've somehow ended up in the habit of smoking a cigar pretty much every weekend [I blame my girlfriend] and am a sucker for suggestions.

So far I've enjoyed a few cigars recently:

I've really enjoyed the Rocky Patel 1992 and 1990, both as robustos,
A RyJ 1875, as well it's Nicaraguan counterpart
My roommate tends to get AF Chateau Fuentes, the maduro wrapper and I've enjoyed a few puffs off of those.
I'm planning a Leaf by Oscar Corojo Robusto this weekend as earlier in the thread people were raving about it.
And I think an Avo but I forgot to save the band or write it down, so thats guessing by going back and looking at bands to compare with my memory, I think it was the Avo Syncro Fogata

A local liquor chain has a good walk-in humidor who normally has a person sitting around for recommendations, but he recently got rather ill leaving me without a guide to this daunting world.

A little over a decade ago I briefly got into cigars, and vaguely remember enjoying one of the Nubs I tried, but damned if I can recall which it was.

I had a Olivia Series V recently and honestly didn't care too much for it, bit overwhelming to my palette.

Annyway, hope everyone is winding towards a good weekend, I'll be catching up with the thread [am on page 31 currently.]

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
I’ve also only recently gotten into cigars, but I haven’t had a My Father I didn’t like (the connecticut was maybe a bit iffy). Intensity-wise, they’re mostly a bit below the Serie V. The thinner vitolas may be a bit on the overwhelming side, but the robustos and toros are really nice. My palate’s totally unrefined though, and I can’t really explain why I like them, so grain of salt.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I love me some toscanos. Cut em in half and they're great little smokes that punch above their weight, and zero fuss with humidity as they're cured and don't mind fluctuations.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Had the Leaf this weekend and it was really good! I think I'm going to try one of the darker wrappers on it soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The Leaf corojo is the best, imo, although a buddy of mine favors the Connecticut. The maduro wasn't bad, but it felt less complex than the corojo, but I'm also less of a maduro fan overall.

Just moved into a friends' place for a couple months as a bridge to my next apartment, and they've got a nice yard. More importantly, it's not directly on the coast so my cigars aren't going to be nearly as wet. Trying to decide what to smoke to celebrate the relocation.