Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I'm a very occasional cigar smoker, and I'd probably smoke a cigarette with my coffee every morning if it weren't bad for you, but what do people enjoy about pipes? Why did pipe smoking fall out of style vs cigarettes and cigars? I'm really curious to try it and have some supplies on the way. Is it a tastier way to get a nicotine buzz?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

NewFatMike posted:

Anyway lots of words, but I hope they help :v:

Thanks for the advice on good starter stuff. I bought an estate pipe with some sample tobacco but nothing has arrived yet. That Ozark pipe is almost exactly the style I wanted to try so I'll keep that in mind.

Origami Dali posted:

With pipes, they can signify all kinds of poo poo. Thinkers and academic types, hicks, the working class, the aristocracy, the elderly, romantics, insufferable dorks, the masculine or dandyish, the effete, etc. Hell, the materials and shapes even have different connotations. It doesn't really have a fast and simple built in status symbology like cigars.

It's funny you mention this because I really didn't think about the hick, working class etc connotation. When I was searching for why people liked pipe smoking, there were tons of guys who seemed like they were roleplaying a bad 'intellectual' or 'manly' stereotype and I was afraid pipe smoking was just some dumb accessory. I figured I'd just order the stuff and try it myself (and ask here, because most goons seem fairly well adjusted compared to other places)

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
About a month ago I posted about trying pipe smoking and after about 8-10 bowls I think I've figured it out. I had a lot of ashy tasting smokes, trying the 3 pinch method & the Frank method. As a newbie my takeaway is that the method is just a means to create a good draw. My best bowl is just some 1q stuffed in and tamped down until I got my draw to "like sucking soda through a straw".

I bought some EMP and Nightcap and was underwhelmed. Now I'm looking forward to going back and trying it with a better draw.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe
We'll see if I keep getting good smokes! I've only had one decent one so far. My last few bowls I've had to relight maybe 2-4 times after the charring light but I don't sweat it. I almost quit until my latest bowl... I thought I had it figured out but my mouth always tasted like an ash tray after so I figured something was up.

I have a bunch of samples including a burley and Virginia. I liked the burley my first time trying it but I think I'll have to revisit them all again.