Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Giggle Goose posted:

It really is a shame they closed up shop. Years ago I took a look at the vast amount of tobacco out there and basically settled on Frog Morton stuff as my go to. I've got one full tin of the Cellar mixture and about half of a tin of On the Town left. Not even sure where to even start looking for something of similar quality, even if it isn't similar in taste profile.

Never had it before, but I have an order of Northwoods from Boswell's on the way and I've heard it mentioned as a new home for people seeking Frog Morton replacements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Had that Northwoods today for the first time - I'm not big into English style tobacco yet so I can't give a super thorough review, but the taste is an interesting blend that's heavy on latakia and Cavendish. Has an intriguing sweetness to it, especially in the first half of the bowl, with latakia the whole way through and some additional spiciness towards the end.

The aromatics from Boswell's are crazy though, they smell so loving good both in the tin and being smoked.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Had my first tobacco with deer tongue in it today, C&D Crooner, and drat do I really like the smell of it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Smoking some semois for the first time (Reserve du Patron) and this poo poo is fascinating. Presentation is pretty radically different being packed tight into a dry brick and it goes up like kindling as soon as you put a match to it. Despite that there's no harshness as long as you sip it, and a nice rich taste. Seems like it'll be a great summer smoke.

For you cigar folks smokingpipes.com has some semois cigars in stock right now too in addition to the usual pipe tobacco.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

big boi posted:

I'm dying to try semois but I have so much tobacco I still haven't smoked

If you are a fan of burley in any way, do yourself a favor and grab some semois. It's both fantastic and unique for the genre.

Thanks for tipping me off on Chatham Manor a little while back by the way! I got some and it's a good premium version of the codger blends I'm fond of. It's weird though, Chatham Manor is undeniable better tobacco than Carter Hall, but I don't think I like it quite as much? Something about Carter Hall sticks with me better even though it's more of a Bud to Chatham Manor's craft beer. Unfortunately Carter Hall is sold out drat near everywhere that ships to Canada, I need to get a tub of it when it's back in stock as I'm nearly out of the pouch I started with last year.

NewFatMike posted:

Just popped in an order for Boswell tobaccos - not sure who recommended them, but I'm looking forward to it. Also eyeing down a really massive pipe so I can dump these chemicals in more efficiently :v:

I got some Kirkland blended Canadian whisky yesterday, and that's quite pleasant. I'm not familiar with Canadian whiskies, but it comes highly recommended and it's cheap as hell. I'm looking forward to making some cocktails with it!

Looking forward to camping for 4-5 days starting this weekend. I'm extra glad I'm smoking my pipes because now that it's been a few days, this Papa Frita is banging.

Hell yeah, I've been a big fan of the Boswell stuff I got. They all smell utterly fantastic in the bag, head and shoulders above any other aromatic I have tried. The room note is nice enough my partner has actually specifically asked me to smoke them inside, which, well, that doesn't happen. Unfortunately the smell doesn't translate much to taste, but that's par for the course with most aromatics.

Nexein posted:

While we have pipe dudes in the thread, are there standout recommends for picking out good pipes? I got a cheap Chinese pipe as a gift when I mentioned I wanted to start but it's no good. I was thinking of getting a vintage savinelli or something off etsy that I'll like using all the time, but if anyone has reccs, I'd take em.

I keep buying Missouri Meerschaum cobs - basically add one on to every tobacco order I make at this point. They're like $7, smoke fantastically well, and are just worry-free in general.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I had an order come in today of controversial pipe tobaccos: Captain Bob's Blend, Sutliff Mix #79, and my first lakelands aromatic (G&H Brown Flake). Holy poo poo was it hilarious to receive, the package itself REEKED of grape+perfume even before I opened it. Just tried the #79 and I actually quite liked it, has random bursts of flavor that ranges from licorice to root beer to several things I couldn't identify. Kinda surprised it has such a bad rap.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

So I bought a cheap little hardwood Missouri Meerschaum a while back to see how they compared to the cobs. I'm smoking it for the first time today with some of the last of the Carter Hall I have on hand, and it tastes like loving grape.

The Captain Bob's Blend it shipped with ghosted it from being in the same parcel. I need to try that smoke tonight apparently to see just how much of a grapist it really is, because what the gently caress. Apparently I already have a pipe dedicated to it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Welp Captain Bob's Blend is officially the first tobacco I have dumped before completing the bowl. gently caress this thing, it's bag note is overwhelmingly grape but it smokes like someone took all the leftovers from the floor of a tobacconist, swept them into a pile, sprayed them with chemical cleaner, and put them in a pouch. Do not recommend.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I am a nicotine baby who can only smoke like half a flake of tobacco at a time. I don't exactly want to build up a tolerance, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with too much nicotine aside from going slow, dosing small, and pounding sugar if I go too far? Some of the stronger blends are right up my alley flavour-wise but getting nic-sick suuuuucks

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Thanks for the nicotine tips, I think the main thing is yeah don't be a dumbass and try and push through when I can always return to the pipe hours later.

Trying C&D Gentleman Caller tonight for the first time and goddamn it's the poo poo, I quite like deer tongue and this is the best application I've found of it so far. Even lightly used it dominates the flavour of the blend but it's such a nice natural herb-y way to make a tobacco turn aromatic.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Just got my Semois Reserve du Patron in today and this pipe tobacco is very wild. I can definitely see why it would appeal to burley tobacco-lovers.

It's nutty, mushroomy, and has a lot of hay/grass taste to it. It tastes a lot like a cigar than a lot of cigar pipe tobaccos. It's very intense - I might need to use a longer pipe than most of my noseburners to get the full experience.

Three Friars is ending up in the bowl soon! It's flake, not coins like Three Nuns, and it smells kinda similar. It's drying out a little now, and hopefully I'll have a trip report soon.

L'Atelier Travailleurs are out for delivery, too. It's a good day!

e: Well that Semois burned quick through my little pipe, and I have the Three Friars in there now. Seems pretty spot on, but that Semois kinda sticks around on the palate.

Glad you like the semois - figured it'd be up the alley of a cigar-smoker. It is wild how dry it is and how quick it burns, makes for a nice quick smoke when needed. Cool story behind it too, still made using machinery from the 19th century.

Smoking a bowl of Gawith Hoggarth Brown Flake Aromatic tonight. drat do I dig the Lakeland flavouring, it's like a super pleasant floral or rosewater style aroma to it. Shame I can't find anything else for sale anywhere, my usual spots (4noggins, Smoking Pipes, Tobacco Pipes) never have it in stock - seems like from chatter online Gawith Hoggarth basically only comes stateside once a year. I do have a tin of St Bruno Flake I need to pop open and give a try sometime soon though.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Yeah, I think I'm having a harder time finding pipe tobacco I really like the way I enjoy cigar tobacco.

The Semois is really up my alley - maybe my favorite ever - and I've got a good feeling about Sutliff 79, but I'm not super sure where else to go.

Give some John Patton Storm Front a try maybe? It's burley blended with cigar leaf, I dig it but I'm not a cigar smoker so can't really speak to if it matches up well. Semois is a type of burley so it may be your style if that's a favorite.

Nexein posted:

I have a grip of pipe tobaccos but I'm in dire need of a real, smokeable pipe that I always just reach for a cigar. Maybe it's time to invest...

I honestly still can't move past my Missouri Meerschaum corn cobs for pure smokability, and they're so cheap you can have a bunch and not worry about beating them up.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Thanks again everyone for all the recommendations!

The C&D Gentleman Caller is a real winner. I think it needs to dry a little more, but it's quite good. That Sutliff 79 smells AMAZING, can't wait to have that after dinner or something.

Gentleman Caller might be my favorite tobacco so far. It and Carter Hall are the two blends I've got a pound of in storage for the long haul.

Beware that 79 is from my experience probably the single most stubborn blend to keep lit. Stuff goes out constantly, don't be afraid to give it some drying time (but expect it to still go out anyways).

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

If you're that big a fan of Gentleman Caller trying ordering some Crooner next time, it's the other C&D blend with deer tongue in it. I prefer Gentleman Caller more, but Crooner is by no means bad - just a bit plainer (just cube cut burley + deer tongue) and is strong enough it makes my weak rear end start spinning.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

For those who have had Sutliff 79, did that stick around in your pipe with flavor? I want to make sure if it does that I might grab a cob for it.

I find all aromatics stick around to some degree, but Sutliff 79 doesn't seem any worse than usual for it. Maybe don't use it in your favorite pipe, but it's not like deer tongue or lakeland blends that'll ghost something instantly.

I should say I do smoke all my aromatics out of cobs though, my only briar pipe is reserved for nicer tobacco.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

:siren: the annual Gawith Hoggarth restock has occured at SmokingPipes, if you're looking for any Lakeland tobacco (very unique traditional British aromatics, floral is the best way to describe them) now's your chance. Already some sellouts.

I had only ever been able to get my hands on Brown Flake before and loved it, so I've put in an order for a fair amount of Ennerdale (the most well-known of their blends) plus some Bob's Chocolate Flake, Rum Flake, Dark Flake, and Kendal Flake. Excited to try these out once they come in.

FUCK COREY PERRY fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 25, 2021

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Double post but whatever, cigar goons I'm going camping soon and want to bring a few sticks along to share with friends. This would be for people who rarely smoke cigars, myself included. Any recommendations of newbie-friendly ones to try, and spots to order from in Canada? I know I had a maduro a few years back that I quite enjoyed, but beyond that I don't really know much of anything.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Cigars are a nice change-up from a pipe! Brought a pack of Toscano Classicos and some Victory Cigars Summer of 79 Robustos camping this last week and was impressed by both, especially the latter given it was a cheap house cigar from a Canadian site. Definitely can see myself trying more cigars out occasionally when I want something different from pipe tobacco.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Missouri Meerschaum cobs are still just about all I smoke, they're fantastic even without considering how cheap they are. I never use the filters for them though.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Hell yeah! I really enjoy filtered smokes, but it's nice to hear I can go either way on those.

If you enjoy filters, the only pipes I use aside from the cobs are radiators - I'd recommend checking out either a Falcon or a Wiebe if you haven't before. They have unscrewable bowls with a metal reservoir under that captures moisture like a filter would. Just dab out with a paper towel after (or the Wiebe can be dissembled and ran under the tap) and you're good to go.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Ooh have a good site for either? Smoking Pipes is my go to but they're sold out of everything and don't seem to carry Wiebe.

I can look around, but most sites I'm finding are international or not great looking, which makes me not trusting :v:

TobaccoPipes has a collection of Wiebe ones, or you can buy them straight from the man himself (shipped from Winnipeg). I got my Falcons from GQ Tobaccos but they're based in the UK - I'm :canada: so I was gonna have to import them anyways and it was cheaper to go across the pond. You can find Falcons on American sites like Smoking Pipes or 4Noggins sometimes but the stems usually seem to sell out and take a while to get back in stock. Of the two, Wiebe definitely feels more premium but also has the corresponding price point.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Holy moly those Wiebe pipes are so loving tight.

Glad to hear GQ is solid - I may do one of those Falcons and then if I like it pull up a Wiebe.

I also just realized I can throw those metal systems in my ultrasonic cleaner, which is fantastic. I'm absolutely going for it!

Yeah people either seem to love or hate the look of the Wiebe pipes and I definitely fall into the "they're rad" camp, I dig the look. I've got the full size bent and would recommend it, only comment is it dangles a bit oddly if you clench it. I have both a straight and bent Falcon and like em both, main pro of the Falcon is they're easier to clean out mid-smoke if you get a gurgle (twist off the bowl, dab reservoir with a bit of paper towel, twist back on and keep going). Oh only note if you get a Falcon is you may want to pick up some of the Falcon-brand pipe cleaners as well, they need super thin ones.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Corn cobs are great and you can never have enough. I'd recommend Carter Hall as a good introductory burley, it has a bit of a topping but it is a classic and one of my go-to smokes. I'd recommend PS41 Cube Cut as an alternative burley with less topping, and the cube cut style is easy to deal with as a newbie (lightly gravity fill the pipe, barely tamp, and you should be good to go).

For aromatics, I like RLP-6 as a basic one. It's the generic and humectant-free version of Captain Black White, one of the most commonly sold tobaccos, and it's easy to see why - very inoffensive to smoke and pleasant smell to be around. If you end up liking aromatics, I fully recommend Boswell stuff as high-tier aromatics. Would also be a good starting point.

There's a ton of variety in English stuff and I haven't dived in as much there, but a good light introduction to the genre would be Early Morning Pipe.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Lakelands loving rock, they're weird and I love them. Ennerdale is definitely the "main" one of the G&H blends, but I like any of their aromatics that I've been able to try (Chocolate Flake, Rum Flake, brown scented, dark scented, etc). Ennerdale is quite heavy on the Lakeland essence though as a warning, and will ghost.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The best part about Ennerdale is that when you smoke enough of it in a pipe, it turns every tobacco afterwards into Ennerdale Lite

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Concurred that Boswell's is the best, I've already got half a pound of Ennerdale but I'm still tempted to get some more from them.

big boi posted:

Check TurboTin if interested.

Hadn't heard of this website before, thanks for the heads up! This'll be awesome for keeping track of some of the harder to find drops, I've managed to grab Sam Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth before but still have never managed to get any Esoterica or some of the Rattray's blends that interest me.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Stonehenge Flake is really good. Regarding topping strength, it’s closer to Ennerdale than St. Bruno, which is a strong positive.

The base blend is really good too. Really dark and rich. The topping reminds me of a creamsicle, so combined with the rich and somewhat spicy base, it’s making a strong impression on bowl 1.

Ooo, glad to hear - this makes me happy to have two tins sitting unopened. I've had to stop opening new ones to try and work through what I've already got jarred, with the exception of the poorly-sealed Sam Gawith stuff that's recently arrived. Having Golden Glow with coffee today, it's a nice straightforward Virginia that seems like it'll be great for hot summer weather.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I import tins by mail order from the US to :canada: on a regular basis. My go-to is 4noggins due to their friendly labeling of the package as "hobby tins". I do occasionally order from SmokingPipes or TobaccoPipes for rare blends though, and although they label things correctly I've only once been dinged by customs. Canadian smoker wisdom is to stick under 200g per order though, seems customs is more likely to give a poo poo if you are ordering in bulk.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Falcons are dope, I love em. Grab a meerschaum block bowl from a third party and you've got a fantastic workhorse pipe.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Drone posted:

What's a better modular workhorse, a Falcon or a Nørding Compass?

I'm a big fan of the reservoir that Falcons have. It does a good job of collecting the steam from the smoke, and you can twist off the bowl mid-smoke to dab it out with a bit of paper towel then keep on trucking. Makes smoking blends prone to being wet much more comfortable.

If you want a fancier version of a Falcon-style system, check out H Wiebe pipes. I'm not certain they're worth twice the cost of the Falcon, but that's because they're made by a dude instead of one of Britain's biggest pipe manufacturers. The Wiebe pipes are great as you can twist off the mouthpiece and bowl after a smoke and just rinse out the rest of the thing, no pipe cleaner ever required. But all in all, a Falcon with a few briar bowls (if you like briar) and a block meerschaum bowl (not meerschaum lined) is the way to go IMO.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Am I misunderstanding, or are you folks talking about removing the pipe stem to swab it during a smoke, or after the bowl has finished and cooled down? Because it’s a really bad idea to move/rotate/break down a hot stem on a briar/vulcanite/clay/meerschaum pipe, because it could expand and/or cool unevenly and ruin a well-fit pipe permanently. That’s if you’re lucky enough not to just snap the stem off in the first place. Are these pipes you’re discussing made to where this doesn’t matter anymore? I would be interested if this was “new” (at least to me!) technology for briars—-I break cobs all the time because usually I’m more interested in just putting it away quickly cleaned, even if the bowl is still hot/warm to touch. I’ve seen broken briars from the same treatment, though.

Falcon pipes are weird, they have a detachable bowl above a metal reservoir that's one piece with the rest of the stem et al.

Shown here with their proprietary rings in the reservoir, but you don't need those - I just take the bowl off mid smoke and dab out the reservoir. Can also just cut down a pipe cleaner to make em.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Drone posted:

What's wrong with meerschaum lining?

Would you rather a wooden pipe made of reconstituted sawdust, or a solid block of briar that had been carved into shape?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Holy poo poo does that look like a weird way to solve a problem (that is a rare problem I’ve had maybe four times in a decade after starting to smoke a pipe around 17 years ago). Doesn’t all that metal heat up to where you cannot hold the bowl in your hand as you’re pontificating (bullshitting) with your smoking buddies? I mean, a bowl too hot to hold generally means you’re puffing too fast anyway, but that’s briar/meerschaum/cob talking…I’ve always figured metal pipes would just be for weed or cigarette tobacco since metal+fire=ouchie.

And don’t get me started on my groan (imo, obviously…don’t let anyone tell you what you should enjoy or how you enjoy your tobacco time!) at “stuff in the stem.” That cutaway just confused (frightened) me. Just completely out of my wheelhouse is all…what are the selling points on that style and how do they work for an everyday (or fouraday) puffer?

The metal actually doesn't get very hot - it's only touched by smoke and vapor, none of the tobacco should be touching it as its all contained in the briar (or meerschaum) bowl which threads in above the reservoir.

Selling points for me are mostly the moisture removal that the reservoir provides, helps with a cool and dry smoke. Blends that might gurgle in another pipe are typically fine in a Falcon, or if they do build up I can just twist off the bowl and dab out the reservoir mid-smoke. Aside from that the draught hole is in the very bottom of a Falcon bowl; I often find I can smoke down to the last scrap much more effectively in my Falcon than I can in other more traditional pipes. It's also pretty price effective in that bowls are only $30ish, so you can buy a bunch of bowls to use for specific blends pretty easily.

If you want a REALLY weird pipe you can graduate to the H Wiebe reservoir pipes. I have a tall bent one and love it too.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

There's also a fair number of "pipe tobacco" brands that are intended for rolling your own cigarettes, but sold as pipe tobacco for tax reasons. Like has been said you can smoke them in a pipe anyways, and they aren't bad, just a bit one note and boring compared to "actual" pipe tobacco.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

If you love filters that much, I'm gonna shout out either getting a Brigham or a radiator pipe eventually. Brigham pipes use a neat little proprietary wooden filter that's relatively reusable, and radiator pipes (like a Falcon or Wiebe) give many of the same benefits of a filter, except permanently built into the pipe. Love how I can just unscrew the bowl on my Wiebe, take off the mouthpiece, and just rinse the whole thing out under the tap (aside from the bowl).

Falcons I'm a sucker for, and you can import them from GQ Tobaccos in the UK for an incredibly affordable price. Just got this beautiful looking limited edition one (and a few bowls) after previously talking about them in this thread.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NotNut posted:

What brands are those? I tried out Gambler's tobacco for rolling my own cigarettes but it seems to go out more easily than regular cigarette tobacco.

Daughters & Ryan is the main one I think, but really anything shag cut and either virginia or burley that's sold in by the pound in a big plastic bag is probably "pipe tobacco" rather than pipe tobacco.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

NewFatMike posted:

Anyone know a shop online that has Ennerdale, Grousemoor, or Squadron Leader from Gawith in stock? Seems like everyone on the planet is out.

It seems to release pretty rarely in the Statea, I know at least last year they had issues with the tins or something.

Drone posted:

Autumn Evening
Gentleman Caller
Something from the "Simply Elegant" series but I can't decide what
Maybe Blockade Runner?

Gentleman Caller is awesome, deer tongue is super unique. I've heard good things about Opening Night from the Simply Elegant series but haven't got around to trying my tin of it yet.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I've had to import all my Falcon stuff - cheaper and easier to get the pieces off a UK site like GQ Tobacco, and I didn't run into any customs issues as it was just accessories and not tobacco itself. The meerschaum bowls especially I've had to buy from abroad, best deals are if you get them right from Turkish folks off of eBay or whatnot

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Hell yeah, happy to see all the love for Falcons - they and cobs are about all I smoke.

I've actually had a few cigars this summer and enjoyed them, particularly the little Toscanos I grabbed to pretend to be Clint Eastwood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I think you have a dental stem already from your last photo, so curious to hear your thoughts if you pick up a normal stem - those are what I have and they're nice to clench. I have a bent and like it, but they are a tad more prone to gurgling and needing mid-bowl reservoir cleans to have them smoke nicely. I tend to use my straight stems more due to that, but appreciate having my bent in the rotation.