Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
I always keep Padron around: core line, 1964, or 1926. Or really, try to. They disappear from my humidor, it’s weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

1964 corona size is the loving best padron.

It’s the best 1964 for sure.

The 1926 #47, however. Those disappear by the box.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
For Habanos that I keep on-hand:

RASS
BRC
RASCC
PLPC

Do not be lured by the Partagas Serie D No 4 hype, they are mediocre at best. You want full? Bolivar Royal Corona. You want not quite a full? RASS.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

I haven’t even dipped my toes into that game. I’ll wait until travel resumes and my hops in and out Canada for trying to grab habanos.

I’m also going to take a week off from smoking cigars. I think I’ve destroyed my taste buds and mouth. I also just got a peloton so I’ll make that my focus for a week and then come back to it. I smoked a couple or cigars tonight and could barely taste them.

On Canada for Habanos: single cigars. Canada’s tobacco tax is stupid high. We have ways around this without going to Canada.

And yeah the loss of taste for cigars can happen. Particularly when you are smoking a lot of cigars in a day and keep doing that every day.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Kenning posted:

I follow the advice from somewhere deep in the last thread that the easiest way to age your cigars is to buy enough of them that a few just get lost in your humidor and you accidentally age them that way. In part I follow this advice because it's funny, and in part because I live in quite a small apartment and my girlfriend (who is quite accommodating about cigars in general!) has made it clear that it is a 1 humidor apartment.

Did she say what size humidor? If not, get a really large cooler. gently caress messing with cheap wood poo poo.

Cigar recommendation time!

For Curivari cigars, I can recommend the following: Ciclope, Achilles, Gloria De Leon, Cafe Noir, Socrates, and the Beuna Ventura line. Though all the lines are worth checking out, those are the ones I go back to.

Padron 1964: yes. Smoke whatever size you like. Favorites of mine are the Diplomatico, Princepe, Exclusivo, Corona, and Superiores.
Padron 1926: 6, 35, 47, 80th, 90th. If you only try one: 47. Blows every other cigar in its price range out of the water.
Padron: once again, pick whatever size you like. Londres, Palmas, Churchill, Ambassador, Delicias, Thousand Series, Cortico are my favorites.

Dapper cigars are also worth checking out. Cubo Maduro, Cubo Sumatra, Siempre, La Madrina, El Borracho are all killer.

Lighters/Cutters

Xikar: they have a lifetime warranty for a reason. The cutters are good, but don’t get attached to your lighter. If you send something in for repair, plan on not having it for about a month, and also not getting back the exact lighter/cutter you sent in (it will be the same lighter but not yours).

Prometheus: both are good. I love my Magma T. Sent it in once over the 9 years I’ve had it, and got back the same lighter with all of its character marks (people dropping it not expecting a giant lighter to be heavy).

ST Dupont: for when you are done loving around with other brands. Expensive, but they don’t break unless you’re an absolute ape with your lighters. Use ST Dupont fuel in them. If you can find an Initial and want a soft flame, grab it. Ligne 2 when you are absolutely done with poo poo lighters. They are built so that you can pass them on to your kids.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

I recently came across Atabey cigars from a friend's Instagram post. They're more in the $20-30/stick range. He's an understated fella and said "Pricey, but good" and for the cost and duration of seeing a movie in theaters, why not? I'll probably pick a 3 pack up for my birthday.

I've heard they are OK, but not at the price point. Skip that poo poo and buy some Padron 1926 or dip into the Family Reserve line for the $20-30 per cigar range (the 6, 35, and 47 are all well under $20 depending on local taxes).

Lyon posted:

Edit: This may be one of the best cigars I've had to date. Pepper, nuts, wood, cream, with an underlying sweetness. drat, reminds me a bit of the Oliva Serie V but a little bit lighter, maybe cream instead of leather and chocolate. It also feels similar to the JD Howard Reserve I smoked earlier but much more balanced. Or maybe that's all just bias from having smoked them a few hours apart. This is a collaboration between Aganorsa and Warped. I bought the Aganorsa sampler randomly but I'll have to check out Warped now too.

What you're tasting in the Guardian of the Farm is all Warped. Skip Aganorsa, head straight to Warped. All of Aganorsa's best cigars are collabs with Warped or others.

For Warped: in general, yes. La Colmena, Maestro Del Tiempo, Futuro, Cloud Hopper, Flor De Valle are going to be your best bets, in that order. Though they are having some issues with shipping product because they are based in Miami, so whatever you can find.

And yes, the US companies snatching up Cuban marcas is 100% if the Embargo falls so they can stake their claim. But in order to maintain the copyright on the name, they have to produce a product under it. They are nowhere near the actual Montecristo, Bolivar (that one in particular is a travesty and insult), Ramon Allones, etc.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

How long has Boveda been around? Last time I tried to maintain a humidor was probably over 10 years ago, and I don’t remember even hearing of Boveda or their packs that seem to work like magic.

Just tossing some bags in a box seems way too easy compared to refilling propylene glycol and keeping tabs on it.

They’ve been around for quite a while actually. Started as a way to keep guitars humidified.

And they are way too easy. And they are actually 2 way humidification, so they’ll pull excess humidity out as well. Throw the crispy ones in a container with a shot glass of water and they’ll come back to a usable state. Haven’t bought any in years, use them in all my humidors.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Kenning posted:

I think I'm going to upgrade from a 19 qt to a 46 qt bin, personally. Because volume is magic, it's only a modest increase in footprint, but I'll be able to go from 3 shelves to 8. My girlfriend, who has been very understanding and chill about me suddenly becoming a big time cigar guy, only very mildly gave me poo poo for it, so I feel good about that.

That’s why I asked if you had a size limit. If you ditch the other container, it’ll look good on you. But if you order too many cigars and need “temporary” overflow, these things happen.

NewFatMike glad you’re liking Curivari’s offerings. And since you liked the Cafe Noir, Ciclope is your speed for sure. The San Andreas wrapper on it really shines in that cigar. Also they come in sub 54 gauges.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

You have a fridge contraption right? I was looking at those but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything.

I would invest in coolers instead. I constantly fight with mine. To the point where I’d flip mine if somebody wanted to buy it.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

I dropped the apartment temp one degree and increased the humidor temperature by one degree, and overnight I got 2-3% increase in humidity. 65% isn't great, but it's much closer to smokeable than 60%. Hopefully it'll keep coming up to 70%.

60-68% is where you want to be for keeping stuff smokable. 65% is great honestly. 70F/70% is a myth for being the perfect storage condition; it should be viewed as a maximum instead of the ideal.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Maksimus54 posted:

I'm using an Ammodor right now I built a year or so ago, but it has fairly limited capacity. Can someone give me a quick rundown on a tupperdor for longer term storage?

Buy a large, food grade plastic container that seals well. Wash it out until it no longer smells. Add cigars and Boveda packets, ideally 69% and below. Done. And you can scale the container up as much as you want, such as coolers.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

They, thankfully, also appear to be sold out along with the RASS on the three sites I appear to be favoring or I would probably have dropped another pile of cash. I’m hoping I’ll develop some chill around this hobby at some point but I’ll settle for supply shortages in the interim.

Edit: This is probably a really dumb question but is there any reason to keep cubans separate from non-cubans? I'm assuming the answer is no other than for organizational/display purposes but I'm an idiot so please educate me.

Are you posting pictures on Instagram? If yes, that’s reason enough.

I like to keep mine at a lower humidity, as otherwise they are both highly susceptible to both mold and smoking like absolute poo poo. 65-67 and they’re golden.
Otherwise: no, there is no reason other than organization/display.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
From running box splits before: people have various definitions on what they consider a split. “Oh hey, I’m really interested in this cigar can you get that on the order” “a box of that runs $500” “oh man I only want 5 then”.

I’m a fan of the the 50/50 splits, not parting out a bunch of 1-5 packs. And if you only want to try one, don’t suggest it for a split. Also if you want something and nobody else does, or somebody backs out before they arrive, be prepared to absorb a lot of cigars and costs.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Diet Dr Pepper with anything.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

What’s a decent soft flame butane lighter?

Xikar makes a pipe lighter that’s actually pretty stout. Runs about $70.

Peterson/Kiribi makes an IM Corona Old Boy style lighter for $80-150.

Not a lot of good, cheap options. A shitload of matches works too.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

What’s the best way to ship cigars? And how many fit in the flat rate boxes?

Depends on the size of the flat rate box and the size of the cigars. The smallest size will fit 5-6 with lots of padding. Movement is the enemy for shipping cigars, pack that box full of packing material.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Lyon posted:

I smoked one tonight. It was good but I don't get the hype. I bought three so I could smoke one tonight, smoke one after a couple of weeks, and hold onto one for a while so I'll report back later.

I also don't get the hype.

Are they good? Sure, if that's your flavor profile.
Would I rather get something else, especially at that price point? Absolutely.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Dramatika posted:

Whoever recommended the Curivari Cafe Noir to me, you are awesome and I appreciate you

I’ve thrown that out there a few times, so I’ll take the credit.

Also check out the Achilles.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
I sit on them for a week. Same when the B&M gets new things in, I try them a week later.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Hayden posted:

I have a big soft spot for RASS, but I think Boli is my favorite all around Habanos brand.

I have similar feelings.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Maksimus54 posted:

What Boli's do you folks like? I've got a credit for a missing box of RASS and need to spend it on something

Royal Corona, and Corona shapes whatever they are called (Petite Corona, Coronas Junior, etc). If you like strength and body in a cigar, do not be tempted by the Belicoso Fino; it is not the Royal Corona in a different vitola.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

That discord isn’t worth being in based on that prevailing opinion alone

The true one-and-done question is how is the PSD4 regarded?

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Hayden posted:

It's been a while since I've had one, but I remember liking the BF. It was definitely different than I expected, and much milder if memory serves, but I don't recall being unhappy with it.:shrug:

There’s nothing wrong with liking the Boli BF, it’s seeing it as the superior vitola compared to the rest of the line.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
I’ve had one cigar that hatched a beetle back when I had a very small humidor. Lost 2 cigars. Hatched out of a Rocket Patel Vintage 1992, have never bought another one.

Haven’t had any issues in my Cuban stockpile, but I also keep temps low enough to mitigate that issue.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

The three sticks I don’t think I’ve ever been disappointed in:

Bolivar petite corona
Ramon allones specialty select
Hoyo de Monterrey epicure especial

If you provide more details (favorite vitola/power/flavor profiles) I could probably be more specific.

I’d only add Bolivar Royal Coronas to this list.

And do not bother with the Partagas Series D No 4 unless you really want tobacco flavor and nothing else.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
Torch talk: S.T. Dupont Defi Extreme in orange, and Prometheus Magma T are the daily drivers.

S.T. Dupont Initial or Ligne 2 for things that need a soft flame. Usually the Initial, it’s a bit easier to fill properly.

Cutter is a Xikar XO. Looking to make that into an S.T. Dupont as well at some point.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

The 1926 are a little smoother but i don’t think they are worth the premium over the 64 unless you are getting an anniversary edition.

My preference for the 1964 line over the 1926 is for the same reasons I prefer the VSG over the ESG.

The 1926 line is definitely more reserved in terms of strength, but I think they definitely have more flavor. The 80th, 90th , and 40th are also in this series.
Also the No 47, which is deffo the go-to in that line, followed by the 6 and 35.

The Family Reserve line is stupid good. The 85 is a good introduction to that line as it’s the most accessible size and price ($23 average). Other favorites are the 44, 45, and 50 (little hammer).

Then there’s the Hammer, the 50th Anniversary cigar. The only cigar that has cost $50 or more that I think is worth it.

I may or may not be a Padron fan.

For 1964 line, go for an Exclusivo, Princepe, or Corona. If you don’t like those, they may not be for you.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Dramatika posted:

1964 Diplimatico or go home :clint:

Naw, you do you, but I smoked a exclusivo at a B&M while I was on a work trip a couple days ago, and it was good, but man, those diplimaticos in my humidor just hit different.

I'm bad with money, but not like uber bad with money - if I was to want to try a Davidoff for the first time and no idea where to start, because they all look exactly the same, what should I be looking for? For reference, I like Padron 1964 Naturals, 1926 Maduros, God of Fire Serie B, and Opus X in that price range, which probably tells you absolutely nothing. On the lower end, love Curivari Cafe Noir, My Father Flor de Las Antilles, Fuente Casa Cubas, and AJF San Lotano Requiem Maduros.

Davidoff is just intimidating because, again, they all look exactly the same and are also expensive as poo poo.

You’re already smoking far better cigars than anything Davidoff puts out, and for cheaper. The Davidoff Nicaraguan line isn’t bad, but you’re paying 1964 prices for a serviceable cigar, instead of a 1964.

And yes, Diplomaticos are the poo poo; I know the SKU my local B&M has on them from buying so many of them. Is it a good recommendation for somebody that wants to try a 1964? Not so much, unless they want that large vitola.

Though my favorite 1964s are, in no order: yes, as long as it’s Maduro. I’ve had a lot of Diplos, Exclusivo, Princepe, and Coronas. And the Corona in Natural is the only Natural 1964 I enjoy on the reg.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

moxieman posted:

With the increased traffic in the thread, I'd like to resurrect this question and also offer to trade a stick or two of these with any of you more frequent/experienced smokers who thinks they could offer some recommendations.

It’s a cigar that I remember seeing and nothing about it.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Giggle Goose posted:

Years ago I used to post in this thread looking for cigar and pipe tobacco recommendations. Since then I've moved to mostly smoking pipe tobacco. Around the time I made this switch, I bought a ton of Frog Morton stuff, which I've been smoking ever since. Today I noticed that I was starting to run low on my favorite blends, notably Frog Morton on the Town but when I went to order some more I learned much to my horror that Frog Morton products have been discontinued for some time now. Do you all know of any blends that are similar to On the Town?

People have been hunting for that since it was announced McClelland was closing shop. Unfortunately to my current knowledge, the answer is smoke what you got.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Any hot recommendations for a St. Patrick's Day candela?

Yeah, don’t.

You can find Alec Bradley Filthy Hooligan or Shamrock cigars if you want decent but still novelty.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I've enjoyed the Arturo Fuente 858 when I've had them. I had an Acid Blondie Green, but it was indistinguishable from the regular Blondie. In general, Acids for me are the sometimes food of cigars. I'm looking for a candela not just because today's St. Patrick's Day, and it's novel, but because I also enjoy mild-bodied, earthy cigars.

If you can find them, Illusione Holy Lance Candela. I don’t see a lot of candela anything outside of novelty or previously mentioned cigars.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

Wait they didn’t discontinue the BPC 50 cabs?

Apparently in 2012. But 2x 25 boxes still makes 50, just not all in one cab.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Ophidian posted:

Padron anniversarios would be a nice 40th birthday stick. I think they even have a 40th

They do have a 40, but it’s a Series 1926. And quite good.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

I'm definitely checking out that northwoods!

Is there a thread opinion on Camacho? I believe they're a Davidoff brand. I don't generally spring for Davidoff at the price point and the branding is eh, but the price looks pretty good for Camacho.

Reason I ask is because I'm enjoying the Ashton LAdC and San Cristobal a lot more than I enjoy Ashton mainlines, but there's a strong chance that's just Garcia magic 😹

If you want what Camacho used to be, I would go for CLE or Eiroa cigars. Davidoff bought the name from Christian Eiroa under the agreement to also buy the tobacco from him. Davidoff decided to reblend the cigar lines to not use his tobacco, which turned into a court case and allowing Eiroa to start a new company much earlier.

Having had Camacho both using his tobacco and after the reblend, go for CLE or Eiroa cigars. Much better and cheaper.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

I had heard that drying out pipe tobacco was A Thing, but it felt like a thing that was not really necessary. I did it on accident and it's a real big deal. I gotta figure out how to dry all the tobacco I've got.

Dry it out on a per-bowl basis. Like cigars, dry tobacco will eventually be useless as there will be no flavor.

quote:

Camping is nice, and I installed my first humidor expansion drawer before I left. By the time I get back, it should be up to humidity and I'll have found out if something in there has ruined all my smokes :v:

The top drawer is the new one.

The new one looks like regular cedar. Which would not be great.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

NewFatMike posted:

Each one gets its own for the depravity involved here.

The tobacco filtered itself, so we've punched closer to the ember and that's working

You know, I’ve joked about trying to convince somebody to do a Flute Cut, but drat.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

Stalizard posted:

And do you know if any good pipes that might not have the name recognition of a Peterson but still deliver worthwhile craftsmanship in the sub ~$150 range?

Really in the sub $150 range you’re looking at Peterson and Savinelli primarily for things that are easy to find. There are a lot of online pipe makers, but you have to buy from them and they vary drastically in price.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
The newbiest most friendly recommendation:
1) don’t
2) buy
3) a humidor

Plastic, food grade (the plastic smell is waaaay easier to get out), air-tight container and Boveda bags, GG EZ.

Cigars:
Padron Londres Natural
Padron 1926 No 6 Maduro
Placencia Alma Feurte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I am a nicotine baby who can only smoke like half a flake of tobacco at a time. I don't exactly want to build up a tolerance, but does anyone have any tips for dealing with too much nicotine aside from going slow, dosing small, and pounding sugar if I go too far? Some of the stronger blends are right up my alley flavour-wise but getting nic-sick suuuuucks

Also it’s a pipe (guess from mentioning a flake), put it down and finish it later. Unlike cigars, you can do that with a pipe with no ill effect.