Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Finally starting to smoke the three blends I ordered back on IPSD. Sutliff Spiced Rum, Lane HGL, and M.M. American Patriot. Spiced Rum has a great rum raisin aroma in the pouch, and some of that flavor actually comes through while smoking. To me the smoke tasted less like rum and more like a ladyfinger or a madeleine. American Patriot is great - a light English, kind of like Frog Morton's Cellar, though it doesn't quite have that same funky McClelland richness to it. There's a bourbon topping but it's hard to pick up on. I think HGL is my favorite of the three. A mellow aromatic with a small amount of latakia as a condiment. This is probably why I enjoyed Boswell's Bear Blend so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Origami Dali posted:

There’s definitely some of those types on youtube. One in particular is a really insufferable “southern intellectual gentleman” nut who is desperately trying to style himself as a plantation owner caricature or some poo poo without a hint of irony, and is really just using pipe videos as a gateway into his hosed up neo-confederate traditionalist politics. These types of weird “dude gurus” are in everything now. But luckily for every one of those losers, there’s a bunch of regular people who just talk about pipes and tobacco in practical terms and guide you to the useful info.

Yeah after watching StuffandThings and a few other tobacco reviews, that guy popped up in my YT recommended list. My first impression was that there's no way his Foghorn Leghorn affectation is the way he grew up speaking. It's as if a millenial from Worcester, MA went around talking like Quint in Jaws. Then I saw a "The South Was Right" book behind him on his bookshelf and was like :yikes:

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I mostly smoke corn cob pipes and they are goddamn great for how cheap they are. Missouri Meerschaum will outsmoke most briars. Embrace the hick.

I have a Missouri Meerschaum question: Is it bad if I scorched the pointy end of the shank that protrudes into the bowl of my MM hardwood pipe? It’s mostly still there but some of the edges have burnt and crumbled away like charcoal. The walls of the bowl itself are fine.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I finally got to try Kramer's Blend for Cary Grant. It's supposed to be an English aromatic crossover blend with an "Irish Mist" topping but to me it tasted like a mellow English/Oriental. Maybe a faint whiff of cocoa/honey every once in a while. Quality wise it's up there with American Patriot but something about the bourbon & burley combination in A.P. makes me favor it by a slim margin.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Just did an overdue freshening of my briar pipe with some pipe cleaners and 100 proof liquor. How long should I let it dry before smoking it again?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

My pipe smoking has gone up due to nice weather, but I have a hard ceiling at no more than four different ounces of pipe tobacco at any given time. No cellar, just the four in rotation. I dump each ounce into its own jelly jar when it arrives, and I wait until two or three of the jars run out (or I'm low on pipe cleaners) before restocking. I like pipe smoking but I'm leery of going whole hog into the Pipe Life and amassing a wall of tins.

After all this time I finally tried Lane 1Q. I can see why it's so popular. I like the thin ribbon cut. The flavor is a little weak but it burns well, doesn't get gurgly, and it has a pleasant "kettle corn" note going on in the background. I'm a little curious about how Vanilla Custard and Stokkebye's Nougat compare, but it might be a while before I sample of either of those. There's only so much vanilla/caramel aromatic I can take.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I'm interested in trying Ennerdale, Kendal Flake, and Bob's Chocolate Flake. I may have to purchase a dedicated Lakeland cob for them though.

I think my next order will be from The Country Squire. They had to pull their Middle Earth blends after getting a C&D from the Tolkien estate. Now the blends have returned with legally distinct names.

Old Toby is now Tombigbee
Green Dragon = George's Dragon
Second Breakfast = Picayune Pancake
Bag End = Pilgrim's Muse
Rivendell = Riverboat Queen
Kingsfoil = King's Highway

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

I've always wondered: Does anyone actually buy those funky $5000 artisan freehand pipes? Are they young hedge fund managers or old money geezers? And do they smoke them or just keep them in a display case as an art piece? I would be a nervous wreck packing and lighting the first bowl in one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

NewFatMike posted:

I found a fun little video that I think this thread might enjoy:

https://youtu.be/iPYUwVZ0kq4?si=HHPGejk6-TAQ7rn2

I’m only about ten minutes in so hopefully it doesn’t get weird

E: oh poo poo I really want a Disneyland branded table lighter

I wonder how much an unopened tin of that Disneyland Special Blend would go for today. I imagine it was probably some burley-forward blend in the vein of Edgeworth RR or Sugar Barrel.