Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just ordered a couple samplers from Fox Cigars - got a Arturo Fuente sampler with a Opux X, Don Carlos, God of Fire, and Anejo 48, and the Leaf by Oscar Lancero sampler. It's my first time ordering from Fox, but I've heard good things about them. I'm super hyped about the Fuente sampler in particular.

I've had good luck with Holts, Famous Smoke, and Best Cigar Prices in the past as well.

Holt's is the only place I've ever found that sells straight Arturo Fuente Anejo's, but when they get them they sell out in a couple weeks unfortunately. They always package their stuff nicely and I haven't had any problems. On the downside, they are one of those sites that have a billion lower end cigars that are one-off's made for them, and it makes sorting through the chaff a bit of a pain at times - not a big deal if you know what you're looking for, but it's rough if you're new to the hobby and don't have the knowledge to know what's worth a poo poo and what's probably seconds with a exclusive label thrown on there.

Famous Smoke and Best Cigar Prices are both good, solid prices and selection at each of them, packaging and shipping are solid, no complaints.

CigarBid is a weird animal - it's loving great for getting accessories for a good price - I got some sweet Xikar lighters and cutters for under 25% MSRP. However, if you're going to use it, you 100% need to do a couple things -

1) Set your shipping to once a week - due to the way shipping costs work there, you're paying pretty much the same shipping for 1 item or 10 as long as their on the same invoice. Keep this in mind, and stop buying poo poo once your shipping day hits.
2) Have an idea what you're bidding on, and what it goes for. Ignore MSRP - search it on Cigars International (Their parent company) and make sure you aren't going above what CI is selling for. Also maybe search it on a couple other sites. I've seen Padron x000 series going for 2-4 bucks a stick more than MSRP in bidding wars, when you could have just straight ordered them without loving around with bidding, or even picked them up at a local B&M. Also, keep in mind that MSRP doesn't mean much - I think there's some brands that stick an abnormally high MSRP on their sticks to make them stick out, and then just always have a huge sale. A $25 MSRP stick that is always on sale for $10 is probably not any better a $10 cigar that sells for $10. YMMV though.
3) Freefalls are pretty sweet. Spend a couple minutes to watch the timer bottom out a couple times so you have an idea of what price point to buy at. Note that its slightly randomized, but ends around withing about a $3 range in my experience. Don't chase the extra $3, it's not worth the time.

Unfortunately, CigarBid has by far the worst packaging of anyone I've ordered from. Personally, I've just gotten poo poo that's lazily packed, but not damage. There are some horrible photos going around of the packages from them some guys are receiving though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Add Fox Cigars to that list in the OP - I just got my first order from them and I'm super impressed.

Great packaging - plenty of airpacks to keep things from getting crushed, and this haul came in three ziploc bags, each sealed and with their own individual Boveda pack. The shipping was free and fast - ordered Tuesday and arrived today, and that's the free shipping. They also threw in that big Oscar cigar and the Perla del Mar as bonuses. Can't think of anything they could have done better on my order.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Same Great Paste posted:

I'm completely unfamiliar with any ragged wrapper ones but intrigued please tell me more wtf

Apparently Leaf by Oscar's gimmick is instead of cellophane, they package their cigars in a tobacco leaf - thats not the actual cigar wrapper, just a packaging thing. I got their Lancero sampler - looks like 2 maduro and 3 sumatra wrappers. It's a normal cigar underneath the packaging tobacco leaf, but they get really good reviews from what I've seen, so I was certainly intrigued. They are just as cool looking in person! I'm probably not gonna unwrap one for a couple weeks because even if they did come in baggies with Boveda packs, I'd like to give them time to rest up in my humidor before I light them, but I'll make sure I snap a picture when one does get unwrapped.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I smoked an Illusione 68 last night and it was loving fantastic. I can't smoke at my current apartment, so my cigars get smoked on walks unless I go to a friend's place, and the petite corona size is perfect for that sort of thing. The flavors were excellent - a good bit of spice, but also notes of cherry that were really enjoyable.

I need to smoke more of their stuff - I had the Ultra 9 a few weeks ago and it was fantastic, and I have a few Epernay's I haven't tried yet acclimating in my humidor. If those are as good as the 68 and the Ultra I'm just gonna buy a few of every blend they have at this point.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I had a pretty exciting cigar weekend, my dudes.

Had a small barbeque with two friends for my birthday, smoked some ribs and pork butt. Since smoking stuff takes all day, I brought one of my tupperdors with some sticks to share and a couple of heavy hitters I'd been holding onto waiting for a good chance to try.

Started off with a Padron 1926 Maduro Belicoso I've had in my humidor since April. Super rich, earthy, chocolatey, coffee notes, with just the right amount of spice and pepper, and fun transitions all the way though. Paired it with a nice glass of Glenfiddich 15.

A little later on in the night, I got to the one that's been staring at me for the past few weeks - a Fuente Fuente Opus X Robusto - it tasted like nothing I've smoked before, except perhaps the Arturo Fuente Anejo. I don't even have the words or expertise to describe it, but the flavors were incredible. It had a sweet spiciness to it, with cream and pepper and almost cognac notes to it? Also a lot of fruitiness. That one ended up getting popped onto the end of my perfect draw and smoked until it was burning my lips. I wish I could afford to smoke these regularly.

Then, today, I got the five pack I ordered as a treat for myself from Fox Cigars in the mail - an Arturo Fuente 5 pack. Opus X Lost City, God of Fire Serie B, God of Fire Don Carlos, Arturo Fuente Anejo Shark, and Don Carlos Personal Reserve - I think all of these fall solidly in the special occasion stash. Also in this package was a 5 pack of the Illusione 68's - nice little petit coronas with a ton of flavor that are nice to have on a night where I don't have a ton of time to commit to a larger smoke.

Just finished an Illusione Epernay L'Elegance - maybe a corora size? Nice, medium bodied - a lot of flavors but nothing overpowering. Nice bits of spice without being overpowering, and a bit of floral note. Illusione has been great for me in general - I've tried the Ultra, the Epernay, the Original, and all three have been fantastic smokes that are not same-y at all.

edit; I also have a 5 pack of Ave Maria Reconquistadors I'm anxious to try - got them for like three bucks a stick on Cigar Bid. Unfortunately I've read these guys need at the very least three months of rest to calm down before they're read to puff on. The presentation is super cool though - not only do they have that crazy Ave Maria label with the crusader knight dude on them, but each one comes in it's own little wooden coffin with a little hinge that pushes is out for you to pick up when you open it. As a bonus, they take up a loving stupid amount of space in my tupperdor, making me slow down on adding poo poo to my stash.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jul 30, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Are any of the noncuban versions of Cuban brands worth smoking? I had a Montecristo Platinum toro that was alright but not worth what they charge, and a Montecristo tiny stick with their regular label I got as a freebie and it was pretty drat uninspiring.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I smoked an Arturo Fuente Anejo #60 this weekend and it was great - hits a few of those Opus X notes but not quite as rich. Delicious stick.

Fox Cigar keeps emailing these cool deals and I keep throwing money at them - got a kit with two Opus X, a 858 Rosado, and a Don Carlos Shark and Robusto on the way, and I threw in a 3 pack of My Father Flor de las Antilles for some reason. I haven't tried that blend yet, but I've not cared for any My Father cigar I've tried and I want to figure out what I'm missing. Hopefully this is the one that makes it click, and if not my buddy loves their cigars so I'll have something he can smoke.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Lyon posted:

Okay for $30/cigar on CigarFox I'll hold off and see what pops up at my local B&M in the future perhaps. I'd like to try the Opus X and Anejo at some point but I also have entirely too many cigars to smoke through already. I'm trying to come up with a new organizational methodology so I'll use my cigar energy to focus on that.

I noticed in the old thread people posted good deals a lot which would probably be bad for me financially but might be useful. Has anyone ever considered setting up a cigar discord? It might kill the already slow thread but man I need to word vomit everywhere.

Word vomit here! I think there's like maybe 15 active posters in this thread, I think it will die if half the discussion moves off site. Also if you do create this, I'm going to poo poo pictures of whatever I happen to be smoking that week and then ignore it until the next time I smoke a cigar.

I picked up a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor and a Arturo Fuente Hemingway Signature from a local spot. I'm excited to try them.

I greatly enjoyed the Padron 1964/1926's I have smoked, but the Opus X and AF Anejo are much more interesting flavorwise to me - they almost have sort of a liqueur note to them that I just have a hard time putting my finger on - almost a tobacco mixed with a brandy based liqueur? I honestly think that they have a taste I can remember but can't describe is part of allure - the Padron's are fantastic but easily described with the rich chocolate (ranging from milk to dark), espresso, with gentle pepper.

I'll have to try the Ashton ESG/VSG lines - I've had the Ashton Classic and Ashton Cabinet, and they were enjoyable, but I'm just not super into conneticut shade wrappers apparently.

edit: I think I'm a weird case - I smoke two cigars a week generally, and at least one of those is while I'm taking a walk, meaning I can't enjoy it with an adult beverage - so I like to smoke something that's an experience when I do get to sit down with a drink. Unfortunately, my aparment is no smoking anywhere on premises, even the balcony. I'd be buying much, much cheaper stuff if this was an every day thing, but when I do get to sit down at a friend's place and burn one down it's really nice to smoke some crazy poo poo.

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Aug 10, 2020

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Kenning posted:

All the cigars were quite good in that sampler, and it's definitely worth checking out, since I think you can still get it on Cigar Bid for under $70. My favorite was probably the Diesel Unlimited or the Hoyo la Amistad Gold. They're both thick with syrupy notes I enjoy, with the Diesel being a bit more tiramisu and the Hoyo la Amistad being more toffee and cream. The San Lotano Oval was peppery, meaty, and warm spices (cinnamon etc.), the Man o' War, like I said, is very dark chocolate, and the Ave Maria Reconquista was an absolute pepper bomb – quite enjoyable, but more of a sometimes cigar.

How long did you have the Reconquista sitting before you smoked it? I have a 5 pack in one of my tupperdors, but I read online that they need to sit a few months before they get good.

I've only had my Xikar lighters for a little bit, but the Xikar Verano flat-flame I got for 30 bucks or so is fantastic.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Congrats cigar friend :unsmith: That's a day to remember for sure!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Lyon posted:

Congrats to you as well! Hope you love never ending projects :). Everyone making big moves. Me, I’m ordering a pizza.

I just smoked a DPG Cuban Classic and it was okay. A lot of leather and nuts? maybe but once the pepper dropped out it got kind of boring. I have four more that I’ll let sit for a while and see what comes of them. This has probably been the least memorable DPG I have smoked, not good or bad really. I have a CigarAuctioneer order arriving tonight that I’ll have to take a picture of and post because I have zero self control and it’s a bit of a monster.

Edit: drat the tracking updated and now it's supposed to be delivered on Monday. God drat you UPS. Not that I'm short on cigars in the mean time and I'm still getting a pizza. Anyone else have an opinion on the DPG Cuban Classic? Am I a terrible person?

Also has no one smoked that Ave Maria Divina that is MSRP $180 for 10? That’s obviously ridiculous and also maybe why no one has tried it.

I'm suspicious that Ave Maria is pulling a Gurkha to be honest. Full disclosure, I haven't smoked any Ave Maria yet, but I do have a 5 pack of Reconquista's chilling in my humidor right now, which I got for around 24 dollars, while it lists for around 105 dollars ($21 each) and is 94 on CI right now. Throw a high list price on it, let it sit there for a while, and then throw it on bidding sites and watch people see 75% off a $20 stick and throw money at it.

Hopefully I'm wrong and these Reconquista's own since I have 5 of them, but $21 a stick is solidly Padron 1926 terriory, and well above AF Anejo's, Ashton VSGs/Symmetrys, Padron 1964s, and a bunch of other sticks that are special occasion sticks, so if I'm going of list price, that's a hard standard to meet.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just got done smoking a Casa Cuba Flor Fina Doble Tres by Arturo Fuente that Fox Cigar threw in as a freebie on one of my orders, and it was fantastic. Hit a lot of the same notes that the Opus X and AF Anejo did - I guess there's almost a tangy/sour note they have in common that's really got a hold of me. I think my next few smokes around going to be more Arturo Fuentes - if they all have this note I may be able to find a go-to stick that has a everyday price.

I have terrible judgment and saw a LFD Andalusian Bull three pack with an ashtray today and got that on the way. I have so much stuff in my humidor I'm excited to smoke now but it's hard to find time when I'm limiting myself to two sticks a week. Hopefully next weekend I can sit down at a buddy's place and try one of the Flor De Las Antilles I just got in.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Those Cafe Noir's sound delicious but holy poo poo, is 54 seriously the smallest ring gauge they make?

I was doing churchills and toro's for a while, but until I get a house I need to confine myself to something more like a corona, petit corona, or robusto... Maybe I'll just throw in a single or two on my next order.

In complete contradiction to my above complaint, I just got an order of Andalusian Bull's in, can't wait to try them once I can secure a buddy's backyard for an afternoon.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Lyon posted:

Neat! Would you say it was better than the average Connecticut? Surprise cigars with friends are the best cigars. I still really like Connecticut wrappers even if smoke them way less than I was when I started. I also need to try the 1964 and 1926, all the weird variations are honestly intimidating me though. The only Padron I’ve smoked is the 5000 natural.

I smoked a Nub maduro and it was definitely a cigar. In terms of the Nub wars I’m firmly on team Connecticut but will revisit the Habano at some point in the future. I haven’t smoked the Cameroon yet but generally speaking I’m sort of ambivalent to them so I’m not expecting too much. Connecticut it is. I don’t plan on buying Nubs any time soon though cause large ring gauge cigars aren’t really for me.

Even the regular rear end 1964 and 1926 are fantastic sticks, no need to go diving into the different special editions (45th, 46th, 50th, whatever) until you have some special celebration you want something rare and expensive for.

Smoked an Ashton Symmetry and MF Flor de las Antilles this weekend. They were both fantastic, and the FdlA was the first My Father cigar I've actually enjoyed - didn't have the overbearing pepper and spice that the Le Bijou and especially the MF #1 hit me with. That Ashton Symmetry was something else though, beautiful stick, has that tanginess I like that can also be found in the Opus, AF Anejo, and Casa Cuba Flor Fina. The FdlA also had that note, which is probably why I liked it so much. I really need to figure out what people actually call that flavor because it would make finding smokes that resonate with me a lot easier.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

NewFatMike posted:

That's a bummer! I've only ever had the Torano Vault, and just a few of those.

I did find something...troubling:

20" x 80

:wtc:

Man that’s a long lancero type thi- wait what the gently caress do you mean 80 ring gauge :stare:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just got an order in with 7 different AJ Fernandez smokes (Bella Artes, New World, San Lozano, Divina something), some LFD La Nox, a couple Curivari Cafe Noir, an Encore Majestic, a couple La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor Reservas, an Illusione Haut 10, and a Ashton ESG 23-year salute for a special occasion. I don't even know where to start once this dumb tropical storm blows over.

The only AJF production I've tried before was the Ave Maria Reconquista which was really tasty, so I'm excited about this sampler.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Wishing I had bit the bullet and pulled the trigger on some cubans a couple months ago - sounds like it may be a good bit harder to get them after Trump decided to wave his dick at Cuba today. :smith:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Finally got some cedar shelves to organize my tupperdors :3:

Unfortunately they're just a hair too big to fit two of in one tupperware, but I found some smaller ones online I can use on top of the existing.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I managed to hop on a Fox deal for 4 Opus X and a Destino al Siglo de Pasion for $70 yesterday, pretty hyped about that as I've not had luck finding an Opus for under 25 per in the past.

Yall ever have a cigar that just doesn't do it for oyu flavor wise but is just so well built you enjoy it anyways? Had a Dias de Gloria by AJF the other day, and man, the flavors were not really up my alley, but holy poo poo, the ash was perfect, the burn line was perfect, it never got lopsided or needed a touchup all the way down.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Has anyone ordered from stogiedepot.com before? They have some sticks I’ve been looking all over for and can’t find anywhere else. The prices seem legit (ie. not too good to be true) so I’m hopeful, but just wanted to see if someone has had experience with them.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Dramatika posted:

Has anyone ordered from stogiedepot.com before? They have some sticks I’ve been looking all over for and can’t find anywhere else. The prices seem legit (ie. not too good to be true) so I’m hopeful, but just wanted to see if someone has had experience with them.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger, and hopefully my long search for Casa Cuba sticks is over. I had one as a Fox freebie and it was like a mini Opus in flavor profile, so I’m extremely hyped to have a bunch hopefully on the way :buddy:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Absolutely will! I ordered last night and they already made the shipping label apparently, so I'm probably getting something in the mail at least :buddy:

I've been irresponsible. I found that Opus X pack on Fox Cigar (four opus X and a Destino al Siglo de Pasion), picked it up before it sold out in ten minutes, and while I was lighting money on fire, added on a couple Padron 1926, a couple Foundation Tabernacle coronas, and a couple San Lotano Requiem Maduros. I then proceeded to order 12 Casa Cubas of various vitolas from a site I know nothing about. I need to have someone take my cards away :smith:

God drat do I have some delicious sticks on the way though.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
stogiedepot.com trip report - Mixed bag? Shipped out fast, got here quick. Was 12 cigars in a small USPS box - I'd have preferred a bigger a bigger box in case the box got a little crushed to give some room for padding, but the cigars were actually against both the top and bottom of the box. Fortunately, they looked to be in good shape, so no harm no foul? They were in a ziploc bag with a little humidifier pack, which is always awesome! Unfortuntely, the bag was not sealed, soooo these guys are going to have a nice month long humidor visit before they can be smoked. Still, it's the one place I was able to find the sticks I was looking for (Casa Cuba Flor Fina in Doble Tres (Corona), Doble Seis (Toro), and Divine Inspiration (Looks Toro to me as well?), and they aren't all jacked up, so I'm pretty happy!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Never really had the urge to try snuff to be honest - I have enough allergy issues as is without putting stuff in my nose, and it's not so much the nicotine I like about cigars as it is the whole ritual of going outside, away from most my electronics and other stuff for an hour and a half, and savoring it.

To each their own though :)

I smoked a Foundation Tabernacle Havana Seed Lancero yesterday. Smoked really well, and the flavor was nice if not mind-blowing. Excited to try the standard Foundation Tabernacle - picked up a couple coronas last week that need a bit of humidor time before getting lit - I've heard they have a different flavor profile so we'll see which I prefer. Also looking to try a My Father La Promesa if I can find one locally one of these days, as well as that Centurion H-CT2k or whatever it's called.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Having a bunch of cigars you really wanna smoke that just got in a week ago and need more time in the humidor sucks :smith:

Going on a cabin trip for a few days, ending up packing a Opus X 888 Perfexion or whatever they call it, a Drew Estate Undercrown Shade, a God of Fire Serie B, and an Illusione Epernay- don't know if I'll get to smoke all of them, but I definitely think I covered my bases selection wise.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I quit smoking cigarettes in 2013, and started smoking cigars this year - haven’t craved a cigarette at all. Buuut to be fair, that’s seven years so not the same situation at all.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Whoever recommended the Curivari Cafe Noir to me, you are awesome and I appreciate you

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ThatOneGuy posted:

I’ve thrown that out there a few times, so I’ll take the credit.

Also check out the Achilles.

I may do that! Thinking of picking up a box of the Cafe Noir 54 to keep around, as well as a couple Gloria de Leon's - might as well throw an Achilles on there too.

Speaking of boxes, I treated myself to an early self Christmas gift earlier this month, and am extremely excited.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Has anyone smoked the EPC Pledge? I picked up the last on they had that won cigar of the year (Encore Majestic?) a while back and wasn't really too impressed by it.

I just got over COVID and smoked my first cigar since getting sick a couple nights ago. It was a My Father Flor de las Antilles, one I keep going back to - it was still enjoyable, but also let me know my taste and smell still have a ways to go before they're back to 100%. As soon as I get back to full taste, I've decide there's no use to be saving some of these sticks for some special occasion, and I'm smoking the nicest Padron in my humidor.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I just recieved my box of Curivari Cafe Noirs, as well as a couple Curivari Gloria de Leons and Achilles, and some Flor de Las Antilles to keep around because I keep coming back to them.

I'm now to the same issue with my humidor as I am with my Steam library - I only get to smoke twice a week and it takes me a whole rear end day to figure out what I want to burn.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
CAO Brazilia maybe?

EDit; If unbanded, some random rear end Rocky Patel second :v:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Gramps posted:

Now that you guys have gotten to know me a bit, would it be too much to ask for a recommendation from each of you? This thread is moving at a good pace so now's a good time to ask and get lots of good recommendations.

I'll recommend one I haven't seen anyone mention here but I think you all would enjoy- Casa Cuba Flor Fina. Reminded me of a baby Opus X for a way lower price.

Those Casa Cuba's are one of my favorites, definitely a lil babby Opus X - not as refined or premium feeling, but definitely in the same flavor space for a third of the price (if you can find the loving things)

I've really been enjoying everything I've tried by Curivari - Cafe Noir is one of my favorites at the moment. Also don't see a ton of people talking Illusione here, but the Epernay is a fantastic stick.

I'm currently on a hunt for the Southern Draw Rose of Sharon - I think a B&M I was at a few weeks ago had a Southern Draw sampler pack and I'm hoping that's in it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Gramps posted:

If it's this one then it definitely is in there. I bought a pair of these for Nexein and myself and I paid 25 each which is an even better deal than I thought it was originally. The Rose of Sharon absolutely blew my mind, and I can't wait to smoke the Jacob's Ladder in particular.

https://www.cigarbid.com/a/southern-draw-5-star-sampler/3833837/

Your earlier post about the Rose of Sharon is what put me on the hunt, actually! As soon as these Texas roads get driveable again, I'm heading down there to check on it. I do have a Jacob's Ladder I'm looking forward to smoking, but the weather hasn't really been letting me do any smoking this week sadly.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
It's a good stick :v:

I smoked a Southern Draw Jacobs Ladder last night. It was nice and full bodied and had a perfect amount of spice to it - very enjoyable.

I picked it up from a local B&M along with a Plasencia Alma Fuerte, My Father La Promesa, and a couple random Curivari sticks. I'm pretty hyped to try the Plasencia, but gonna give it some humidor time first.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

ThatOneGuy posted:

The 1926 line is definitely more reserved in terms of strength, but I think they definitely have more flavor. The 80th, 90th , and 40th are also in this series.
Also the No 47, which is deffo the go-to in that line, followed by the 6 and 35.

The Family Reserve line is stupid good. The 85 is a good introduction to that line as it’s the most accessible size and price ($23 average). Other favorites are the 44, 45, and 50 (little hammer).

Then there’s the Hammer, the 50th Anniversary cigar. The only cigar that has cost $50 or more that I think is worth it.

I may or may not be a Padron fan.

For 1964 line, go for an Exclusivo, Princepe, or Corona. If you don’t like those, they may not be for you.

1964 Diplimatico or go home :clint:

Naw, you do you, but I smoked a exclusivo at a B&M while I was on a work trip a couple days ago, and it was good, but man, those diplimaticos in my humidor just hit different.

I'm bad with money, but not like uber bad with money - if I was to want to try a Davidoff for the first time and no idea where to start, because they all look exactly the same, what should I be looking for? For reference, I like Padron 1964 Naturals, 1926 Maduros, God of Fire Serie B, and Opus X in that price range, which probably tells you absolutely nothing. On the lower end, love Curivari Cafe Noir, My Father Flor de Las Antilles, Fuente Casa Cubas, and AJF San Lotano Requiem Maduros.

Davidoff is just intimidating because, again, they all look exactly the same and are also expensive as poo poo.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Nexein posted:

Forgive the gross claws but I'm pairing a 1999 Patel Connecticut with an adorable little dram of Blue Label that I actually got as a Festivus gift from ol Gramps! I'm certainly enjoying both but I'm not super sure why so many people hail this Blue as the be all end all, it's definitely good but I'm not sure about 200 bones a bottle good...

As I understand it, it's similar to how this thread has described Davidoffs - competent but not worth the money. The primary selling point is that even people who don't drink whiskey know that poo poo is expensive as hell, even if you could spend the same amount and get something amazing like Balvenie 21

I smoked a My Father Le Bijou 1922 Toro this afternoon, paired with a couple pints of Yellow Rose IPA. It was very enjoyable. Nice and chocolatey, though not as much pepper as I was expecting.

I wish it was easier to find more stuff to smoke in like a lonsdale size - I like that toros take me 90-120 minutes to smoke, but sometimes I feel the large ring gauge can be a detriment to the flavor. Though sometimes it hits perfect, maybe I just don't know what I want :shrug:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I smoked a Tabernacle Corona the other day and it’s one of the best cigars I’ve smoked.

I have a My Father #1 and a EP Carrillo Pledge dry boxing at the moment - torn on which gets smoked tonight

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
I wish I had gotten in on the box pass, but I'm in the middle of a house-buying process and will be switching addresses so it seemed like a bad idea. Next time!!!

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Kenning posted:

It'd be great to have you on board for the next one! Also, congrats on buying a house.

Thanks!!!

I now have the difficult decision of what I smoke to celebrate when I close - got Opus X, Plasencia Alma Fuerte, Andalusian Bull, Padron 1926, and God of Fire chillin in the humidor now waiting for the special occasion call, but we'll see where it ends up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Got a fun order in today!

Two Rose of Sharon Toros, two Rose of Sharon Desert Rose lonsdales (LONSDALES!!), three Padron 1964 Natural Diplamaticos, two God of Fire Serie B Double Robustos, and 5-packs of the Foundation Tabernacle coronas and Illusione Epernay L'Elegance (another lonsdale :getin:)

After some rave reviews from this thread, I've been searching all over for the Rose of Sharon, and finally gave in and ordered a couple. I saw they had the Desert Rose, and in one of my favorite vitolas, so picked those up as well. I just finished my last five-pack of the Epernays on Modnay, and as I was halfway through the last one, I realized that I prefer not to live in a world where I don't have one or more in my humidor. Similar with the Tabernacle's - I smoked two recently, and one was competent and the other was straight up memorable, so I defintely want to keep those around. The God of Fires - well, I smoked a Serie B Robusto once and it's easily in the top five I've ever smoked, and I was already ordering sooooo take a chance on a bigger one. And the Padron's speak for themselves - I don't generally love churchhills, but I've had these a few times, and even with the seven inch smoke, I still am smoking those down to the nub and sad when they are finished.

I celebrated my present to myself by pulling one of the Casa Cuba Doble Tres I've had laying down for six months, and man, that's a fun stick. Not as muchof a pepper bomb as some I smoke, but a lot of subtle flavors to it and it performed like a champ - I'm so used to having to touch up cigars at least a couple times that it's just an absolute pleasure when I light something that is perfect all the way through - no touchups, the thing didn't even consider burning unevenly. I've said it before, but it's like a budget Opus, and while I can taste it just thinking about it, I don't have the words to really say what flavors I love about it, but it's just so enjoyable. They're such a pain in the rear end to find that I don't want to smoke them as often as I would like. Against my better judgment (because now it will be harder to find this vitola), the Doble Tres is far superior IMO to the other vitola's I've tried - the corona size is perfect. Maybe one day I'll get the vocabulary to explain what flavors I love about these dudes.

I also stopped by a local B&M the other day, and picked up some other cool sticks - I remember someone here loved some of that La Aurora's, and picked up a 107. I know it's not the one they were talking about, but hey, hopefully it's fun. Also got an Illusione 888, and a custom Illusione Prive lancero that is only made for that specific shop.

Can an adult please take away my cards?

edit; why are lonsdales and coronas not more popular? My closest B&M, while awesome, doesn't seem to carry anything with a smaller ring gauge, and it makes me sad.