Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I continue to buy more cigars than makes any financial, logical, or health related sense. There is no way I can keep up with the incoming inventory, despite my best efforts, so my stockpile of cigars is growing. I have slowed down fortunately but every time I see an interesting sampler with cigars I haven’t tried my willpower disappears.

I’ve found that I prefer Famous Smoke/Cigar Auctioneer over Cigars International/Cigar Bid. There are a few reasons, first Famous Smoke/Cigar Auctioneer has more interesting and frequent sampler offerings (in my opinion) which is still my preferred option at this stage. Second, it feels like Famous Smoke tends to be slightly cheaper (just don’t get suckered by their exclusives, I’ve found they are all sub par for the most part). Third, the customer service feels much better in my opinion. The CI/CB websites are slightly better but that’s not saying much and the shipping is pretty much identical from what I can tell.

For actual cigar content I smoked a Crowned Heads Jericho Hill today which was really good, yesterday I had a My Father No. 1 which was also very enjoyable, and a few days ago I smoked the Herrera Esteli Lonsdale that someone in the last thread recommended. It was tasty but I felt like I should have been casting spells with the Lonsdale until I smoked it down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Eat some sugar to help take the edge off your nic-sickness. Nicotine lowers your blood sugar, so having something sugary helps to counteract that. If it's real bad I'll put a spoonful of granulated sugar under my tongue. If just sort of bad / queasy I keep those lovely popsicles that come in plastic tubes that cut your mouth on hand, haha.

If you start to excessively salivate or need to spit a lot, that's the first sign your blood sugar is dropping and is a precursor to the nausea.

That is super interesting and good to know.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Well boys and girls, I need someone to change my password to all of the online cigar shops. I have five sampler packs that should arrive this weekend and then I've already won four more that will arrive next weekend.

I don't really understand the standard shop vs. the auction shop from a business perspective to be honest. Any time I bid on something on Cigar Auctioneer I go and check the price on Famous Smoke (same thing with CI/CB) and then figure out what I'm willing to pay. As an example Famous Smoke has a Rocky Patel The Edge sampler that consists of 5 variants, two of each. On Famous Smoke it's listed at $88.99 (which is a 23% on their "list price" of $114.99) but I just won it on Cigar Auctioneer for $32. I'm sure they still make a healthy profit on it or maybe it's just a loss leader type of thing, to keep me hooked to Famous Smoke/Cigar Auctioneer, but that's a pretty big difference in revenue.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Alright, after having a few pretty unsatisfying smokes in a row it's time for drastic measures. I've put some dry silica beads in a tupperware in my humidor to try and soak up some moisture and see if we can't stabilize at something a little lower. I'm gonna see how low it drops in the next few hours, and then leave it overnight with no humidification. My cigar friends are coming over to hang out on Saturday and I wanna be able to have my stash in better condition by then.

Do you use Boveda packs or a more traditional humidifying device? The nice thing about the Boveda packs is that they both release and absorb moisture as needed.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

I had a Boveda 72%, which was the only one I could fine in 320 g size on Amazon. Switched that out for some Humi-Care beads in the little plastic jar, and that seemed to help for a while. The real problem seems to be that my ambient humidity is usually 70%-75% lately, and drying something out is way more complicated than adding humidity. Luckily I've got a big pile of silica beads so I'll experiment with that for a bit.

I might look into a Boveda 69% in a bit. With the dry silica in there right now we're sitting at 69%, which is promising.

The Boveda packs will pull excess moisture into them, it’s a two way humidifier. If it falls below 69% RH it releases moisture and if it goes above 69% RH it absorbs moisture.

I have two Tupperware containers that hold about 75 cigars and I have just stuck two Boveda packs (whatever size says meant for 25 cigars) on the bottom and two on the top and it seems to be working well.

Just don’t mix the different RH packs or they will fight each other.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 10, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I want to constantly post in here because cigars are a new hobby for me so I’m still super into it but have very little to contribute. With that in mind, enjoy a long rambling post about my experiences so far!

Most recently I smoked an Alec Bradley Mundial which I thought was decent to good, Don Pepin Garcia Black which was interesting and had moments where I loved it, and a Partagas Robusto which was sort of meh the whole way through. I’ve gotten less attentive to recording what cigars I’ve smoked and I know I’m missing some which is now a weird brain itch I need to resolve.

I mostly buy samplers, and sometimes I’ll buy a repeat if I really liked all the cigars or if it seems like a steal, so I’ve temporarily organized my cigars into “I’ve smoked this before” or “I haven’t smoked this” to make it easier to find a new cigar to try. I also have a smaller Tupperware I jammed all my Oliva and Perdomo into. How do you guys typically categorize/organize your cigars?

On the sampler/lower end cigar side of things Perdomo followed by Oliva are my current favorite brands. I have been looking for cigars I can get for ~$3 because I’m new and want to try a lot of cigars before I start going into the higher end stuff. I’ve ended up with quite a bit of both which is why they got their own box. Rocky Patel has been a disappointment in this regard, to me. The Vintage 1990 and 1999 are good and I did enjoy the 2006 but the rest of the Vintage series and Decade, 15th anniversary, Royale, Rosado, etc. have been underwhelming. I have a The Edge sampler coming so this will be Rocky’s last ride (at least on the budget end).

Brands that have been hit or miss for me are Espinosa/601, Gran Habano, La Aurora, Camacho, and Alec Bradley.

My least favorite brands are CAO, anything by J Fuego, and honestly most of the RyJ I’ve tried (their low end and exclusives for Famous Smoke).

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’ve bought so many samplers I have a stupid stupid amount of cigars so I’ve been trying to lock up the box of duplicates/cigars I’ve smoked so I don’t have to keep opening it and rifling through a bunch of cigars I know I’m not going to smoke.

For tracking purposes I use an app called Cigar Scanner, I’ve just gotten lazy about it. It’s more clicks than something like Excel but it has a journal, favorites, wish list, humidor tracking, and a social feed. A lot of the information about the specific cigars can be wrong (e.g. something listed as a maduro when it’s a natural) and the app can be a little slow sometimes but overall it has all the features I want. You can also access it through a browser on a PC. I sell enterprise software so I’m used to the extra clicks and slow response time hah.

Smoking a La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor right now. It’s really good the draw is just a little tight. I don’t know if it was the coffee I was drinking interacting with it but the first half almost had a berry flavor or something going on. It wasn’t bad though. The second half that has gone away (I also finished the coffee) and it’s really great.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jul 13, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

I smoked a Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne toro tonight. It was definitely a very relaxing smoke compared to the spice-bombs I had this weekend. Burned nice, well constructed. Creamy taste, with a bit of an almond/marzipan thing going on. I think I might try a smaller size, especially if I can get it for a discount, as a nice cigar to share with people who aren't big smokers, since it was quite pleasant and very mellow. It lasted over an hour, and I think I might have preferred it as like a 30-45 minute smoke, since there wasn't much development.

I feel exactly the same way and if I have friends over who aren’t into cigars I will give them one as a good “starter” cigar. I bought a little tin of the cigarillo (purito I think Perdomo calls it) size if I want a short mild smoke.

I smoked a Man O’ War Virtue which is an Ecuadorian Connecticut, it was good but I am starting to feel that most Connecticut wrappers are a bit too mild. The Ecuadorian Connecticut wrappers seem to have a bit more spice to them but even that starts to get a little bit boring towards the end of the cigar. My favorite one in recent memory was the Leaf by Oscar Connecticut.

It’s possible I’ve just slagged my taste buds so badly from smoking too many cigars though. My butane finally showed up after being lost in transit for a while so I am now smoking a a second afternoon cigar because I got to test out my table lighter. This time I went with My Father The Judge and I was expecting it to be more intense than it is.

Edit: This review, https://cigardojo.com/2018/03/my-father-the-judge-toro/, sums up exactly how I feel about The Judge after smoking it. Probably my least favorite My Father cigar to date.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 14, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

I know double posting is in poor taste, but I wanted to separate the cigar I'm smoking from that: Alec Bradley Magic Toast Toro.

It's fine. Toasty, sweet, mellow. Mild/medium and not very complex. It smells a lot better than it smokes, imo. I'm not a huge fan of Alec Bradleys, and the whole time I was smoking it, I wished it had been a Nica Rustica instead - hits the same notes but better in most ways. Surrogates Cracker Crumbs also hit the toasty/sweet profile for me, but with a bit more punch and pepper. If you like those toasty & sweet profiles but want to give your palate a break or just plain old want something a little easier, it's a good buy. Just not really for me.

I just smoked a Magic Toast Chunk (4 1/2” x 60) and I completely agree. It smelled better than it tasted and was fine but it didn’t do too much for me. Additionally it has entrenched my dislike of large ring gauge cigars even further. Took forever to get it burning well and the draw was too tight. I probably would have enjoyed this a lot more in a smaller ring gauge.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’m smoking an AJ Fernandez Indomina and I have to say this is the most pleasant cigar I’ve smoked in a few days. It started off a bit earthy, a little sweet, light note of spices, and caramel. Second half is milk chocolate and coffee with a tiny hint of spice. I’m still smoking it but was so excited I had to come post about.

This is the first Famous Smoke exclusive that seems to be well worth it. You can get them for under $3 a cigar and I might buy a five pack so I can revisit this. If you shop on Famous Smoke or Cigar Auctioneer I would highly recommend checking this out for the price.

I’ve been trying to churn through the lower end sampler cigars I bought because I have a bunch of nicer things coming and I need to free up some space, this was a very pleasant surprise.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Just smoked a La Aurora 1495 Connecticut which was excellent. Perfect early cigar, mild to medium, the flavor profile didn’t change a ton but one of the more enjoyable Connecticuts I’ve smoked in recent history. The 1495 Brazil was also really good and one of my higher rated cigars in my journal. The original 1495 was a Sumatra and there is also a corojo and a Cameroon version as well but I haven’t tried any of them.

I’d recommend the Brazil and Connecticut for sure. Nothing mind blowing but definitely quality smokes.

Edit: Smoked a Padron 5000 Natural during my work virtual happy hour. Was pretty good, felt like a traditional cigar’s cigar. I’m gonna need you guys to increase the posting so I don’t start having conversations with myself haha.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 17, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Having an Illusione Rothschild, and I'm very, very happy.

I'm also kinda grumbly because my humidor doesn't love getting a bunch of cigars put in it all at once. Quarantine smoking rate (and concomitant restocking) is really throwing the ecosystem out of whack. Now everything kinda needs to bed down.

Guess our house will just buy stuff once a week and put some aside before restocking to give us a few days' grace. Might want to do the same if you're doing a big restocking trip!

I have a few single cigar bids out on CigarBid including the Illusione Rothschild and the Tatuaje Havana VI Verocru. I keep on the lookout for the cigars from that list you posted in the previous thread.

Speaking of putting a bunch of cigars in all at once I got drunk (really drunk) for the first time in a while and made some terrible CigarAuctioneer decisions. On the positive side most of the cigars were decent but on the negative side I ordered a stupid amount of cigars that I just barely managed to cram into my Tupperware. I got a 10 pack of Flor de las Antillas, 5 pack of Padron 5000, Ashton 5 cigar sampler, Kristoff 8 cigar sampler, a Perdomo sampler with mostly cigars I haven’t tried, Nub 4 cigar sampler, Villiger 5 cigar sampler, and one bad Famous Smoke sampler that’s my only true regret other than the unnecessary amount of cigars.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Nub Connecticut (3 3/4” x 58) and it was really good with my coffee. The Nub sampler came with a larger punch meant for wider ring gauges. I prefer a punch to cutters so maybe this will help with my dislike of large ring gauge cigars.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I had some friends over yesterday and I smoked a Man O’ War box pressed and a Perdomo Habano Maduro. Both were enjoyable enough but I don’t think I’d seek out either one again. I have one more of each that I can try sometime in the future.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a San Cristobal Revelation Legend (6 1/4” x 52) and it was good but after I was finished I was left with what I can only describe as the after taste of pretzels in my mouth. It started to come out towards the end of the cigar and is now the dominant flavor in my memory. Is that normal? I thought maybe I was smoking too fast and it got too hot so I tried to slow down but I’m still here in pretzel world.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Whoa! I'll have to look out for that next time I smoke it.

I usually get a lot of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a creamy kind of base to carry it all. I can definitely see that coming across salty.

I don’t know that it was normal, I’m wondering if the sandwich I ate earlier in the day somehow caused it. If the bread flavor stuck around + the smoke or something like that. It was hours apart though and I drank a lot of water in between. I’m going to have to get another one to try it again.

Edit: from a cursory googling and thinking about yesterday, I may have slightly burnt my tongue last night when I was drunk and supposedly that can cause things to taste salty. I don’t know if that’s true or not but it would explain this. I’m smoking a Four Kicks and it’s a dope cigar but the end I’m starting to get a similar effect probably because the smoke at the end is hotter. This could be completely wrong but I’m going with it for now.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 20, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a La Barba Ricochet. It was well constructed and pretty good. Flavors seemed like they were all over the place with a lot of spice in the first half but the last third sort of focused in a bit on a chocolate/sweet finish.

What cigars do you guys buy boxes of/always keep on hand and why? Obviously everyone's tastes and cost tolerance will be different but I'm curious. I assume I will find my preferred cigars for different purposes/occasions but I'm not ready to buy boxes yet. I still have a stupid number of cigars to try. Eventually I would probably like to have a box of my go to for a nice relaxing smoke on the back porch, mild cigars for friends and if I'm feeling something easy, special occasion cigars, etc. Or I guess as a follow up question, how often do you buy boxes versus singles?

Also put me on the list of people who will purchase goon crafted cigar accessories.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked an Alec Bradley Nica Puro. I think I’d have to smoke another one to really appreciate it as my boss called me right when I started smoking it and the hour long work call sort of ruined the vibe. Seemed like a fairly strong spicy cigar that might be pretty good.

I am bidding on some Illusione Rothschild singles and some jackass came in and bought up all 12 so I had to outbid him on two out of sheer spite. It’s probably at or around what I’d pay at a brick and mortar or just from CI ($6.50) but since I already have a shipment that will go out Thursday I’m factoring in the effort to go to a brick and mortar store or the extra shipping cost if I ordered it from CI.

A degenerate friend of mine is coming over tonight to smoke some cigars so I’m sure I’ll have an edit to this post shortly.

Edit: I have all of those cigars you mentioned (NewFatMike) on my list from the last thread and have I added the 1964 and 1926 Padron as well based on the last couple of posts.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 22, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I haven’t even dipped my toes into that game. I’ll wait until travel resumes and my hops in and out Canada for trying to grab habanos.

I’m also going to take a week off from smoking cigars. I think I’ve destroyed my taste buds and mouth. I also just got a peloton so I’ll make that my focus for a week and then come back to it. I smoked a couple or cigars tonight and could barely taste them.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jul 22, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I had some trouble with one of the Serie V Maduro double robustos from a five pack that I got, the PerfecDraw seemed to fix it decently enough though. It seems to be their thicker cigars that have issues, the 54+ ring gauge ones up. I’ve never had a problem with an Oliva in terms of draw or burn with a smaller ring gauge.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

We shouldn't all be posting $6-$15 per sticks.
I know you're digging on some cheap cigars and it's ok to talk about those too. Post 'em and talk about them. (no not your grape flavored blunt wraps but you get it).

I’m only smoking from the cheap seats right now but I’m trying to take a few days off. If you want a look into the bargain sampler world just follow my posts hah.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Had my first really nice cigar in like a week today. The Diesel Unlimited from the AJ Fernandez box press perfecto sampler was quite good. Fairly similar to the Hoyo la Amistad, but a bit darker. Had a nice progression through the thirds, starting off like Vietnamese coffee with creamy espresso and sweetness, progressing on to tiramisu (which is pretty similar, but a bit more intense), and finishing with sandalwood and just a touch of cinnamon raisin bread. Absolutely looking forward to this one again.

I’ve been meaning to try some of the Diesel line mainly because I read somewhere it uses PA broadleaf so I gotta try the local tobacco.

I didn’t smoke any cigars yesterday and I smoked one Nub Habano today. It was spicy with some nice sweet tobacco flavors mixed in occasionally. It was fine but I didn’t love it and probably wouldn’t seek it out again, I have no idea if my palate is still messed up though.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Rocky Patel 1999 yesterday and had a similar effect to when I smoked the Nub Habano, almost like there was a dusty coating on it so I assume my mouth is/was still broken. The wrappers were pristine so I don’t think it was mold or bloom or whatever. I ordered a 10 pack of Oliva Serie V and I couldn’t resist smoking one even though I knew it was probably a bad idea. I still enjoyed the hell out of the Serie V even if my mouth is broken. No weird dust particle feeling.

I have no idea what’s wrong with me but I’m going to try and continue smoking less cigars for a while. I’ll revisit the Nub Habano at a future point to give it a fair shake.

Edit: Smoked a Nat Sherman Metropolitan Host which I did not realize had a sweetened tip. It might be nice with black coffee in the morning but generally not for me.

I also smoked a Rocky Patel The Edge Habano which was pretty good but nothing to write home about, it was a bit spicy with cedar and leather primarily which is about I expected.

My plan to smoke less cigars has only been semi successful but my plan to buy less cigars has been extremely successful so far. I figure I’ll stop into my local shop once a week to grab a cigar or two to satisfy that urge instead of going HAM on the web shops.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 26, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a Perdomo Lot 23 Maduro last night which was a decent smoke, the chocolate notes were nice but nothing stood out strongly good or bad. It’s basically exactly how I felt about the original Lot 23 but in maduro form so at least they’re consistent? I was pretty drunk when I lit it up so I’ll make sure to smoke my second one sober. I think of all the Perdomo maduro cigars I’ve tried that I like the Perdomo Cuban Parejo Maduro the best. I haven’t tried any of their 20th anniversary or ESV line though.

I smoked Tatuaje Havana VI which was good. I had to take a work call again while I was smoking and being on a call ruins the zen of cigar smoking for me. I’ve had hits and misses with Garcia cigars and I don’t know that I have the same love for them that a lot of you guys do. Flor de las Antillas and La Opulencia are my two favorites out of Tatuaje/My Father/the Garcia brands.

I’m currently smoking an Illusione Rothschild which has got to be my favorite cigar I’ve had, other than the Oliva Serie V, in a while. I’m 100% with you on this one so far NewFatMike. I got an Illusione Rothschild Connecticut wrapper too that I’ll try later this week for fun.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yesterday I smoked an Oliva Connecticut in the morning with my coffee, not much to say it’s just a great quality Connecticut when you want to have something mild. Later in the day I smoked the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Maestro (had to check out the #1 cigar of 2019) and it was great. Late night a few beers in I had an Undercrown Sungrown which was alright but I don’t think I’d ever smoke it again.

I don’t think I’ve ever really liked a Sumatra wrapper. I’ll have to go through and see if there are any I rated highly that I’ve forgotten about. Otherwise I might be bypassing Sumatra for the most part going forward.

I’m currently smoking the Illusione Rothschild Connecticut and it’s very nice. Perfect low key after stressful work day cigar.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
drat sounds like a fun weekend Dramatika. I smoked a lot of cigars but didn't do anything super interesting. I want to try the Padron 1926 and 1964 but I'm trying to be good and not spend a ton of money on cigars. I've seen a lot of people talk about the Opus X online but that description makes me want to try it more than most have. I also added the Arturo Fuente Anejo to my list.

I smoked an EPC La Historia last night. I got that and the Aging Room Quattro at my local shop that I like to pop into once and a while. I really enjoyed it and it was a perfect end of the night cigar. The chocolate and sweetness was perfectly balanced with a bit of pepper and tobacco flavors. The chocolate dropped out a bit and it got more earthy about half way through but the entire cigar was great.

I just smoked an Illusione Ultra OP No. 3 and it was the jammiest cigar I've ever had. Almost tasted like a fig newton at times.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Ophidian posted:

Cigar night!
I’ve narrowed down my choices to
ERDM CUBA EL
hupman petite corona
PL Monte Carlo
Santos custom toro from... who even knows this point.

I think I’m going to go with the Santos because I have the time for it and if it sucks I can pitch it and be happy with any of the other ones I’m bringing with me.

Are those all cubans? I’ll eventually get into that game but I don’t know anything about them. Are there any good informative write ups somewhere on the basics on cubans? The different styles, brands, etc.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked a Villiger Sandoro Claro, it was extremely meh but passable. Reminded me of the Oliva Protege/Seconds but better construction quality.

Edit: I also bid on some cigars so I failed in my one goal of not spending money on cigars. On the plus side it was fairly minimal but the lack of self control is very real.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

smoking a pichardo liga privada, bought it as a random smoke because i had to piss and didn't want to be in the humidor anymore. i have to say, it's a solid smoke. the draw is nice, and i'm pairing it with a solid oatmeal stout that's really hitting all the notes i want. a quick google search says it's something new, but i'm definitely a fan.

Just saw this on Famous Smoke, looks like it's Crowned Heads? I've enjoyed everything I've had by them so far. Two were stand outs for me (Four Kicks and Jericho Hill) and one was good (Juarez I think?).

Edit 2: It looks like Famous Smoke used the Crowned Heads logo but this does not appear to be a Crowned Heads cigar. It looks like Pichardo manufactured Crowned Heads Juarez and Famous Smoke either made a mistake or knows more than any article I could find online.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 31, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Yeah, I'll be honest, I couldn't figure out anything from the band. I can't find any other information about it online, which is kind of weird.

Assuming this is the right Pichardo this article seemed to give some information, https://cigar-coop.com/2019/08/cigar-news-a-c-e-prime-launches-pichardo-line-at-2019-ipcpr.html

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Okay just to keep my cigar log going I smoked a My Father My Father No. ??, Ashton VSG, My Father Flor de las Antillas, Arturo Fuente Rosada Gran Reserva, and an Illusione 88.

I liked the My Father much more on this smoke than the first time I had it, VSG was good but nothing crazy, Flor de las Antillas was sort of wasted because it was my third cigar of the day and I had been drinking.

Today the AF Rosada was good and one short section tasted almost like tequila which I thought was interesting. This Illusione 88 is tasty but I’m only half way through so far.

Edit: Smoked a 601 La Bomba and I thought I was ready for it but holy crap that was a strong smoke. I had to get a can of soda (thank you poster who told us about the sugar thing) to get rid of the start of nicotine sickness.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Aug 2, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked a My Father La Antiguedad last night and it was excellent. It was a very dry cigar and I had a slight tickle in my throat when I finished it but it was an amazing cigar.

Edit: Just smoked an Alec and Bradley Gatekeeper which I guess was blended by Alan Rubin’s two sons (Alec and Bradley) and manufactured by EPC. It was pretty good, first two thirds was sweet earthy flavors, some nuttiness and then the last third was pepper with underlying sweetness. Enjoyable all the way through.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 3, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Looking forward to grabbing a few new My Father cigars to try. I really wanna try the Centurion H-2K-CT and the Antiguedad, and maybe the Judge.

I smoked a Nub Cameroon 460 the other day. Had a nice leather and wood chewiness that was pretty fun. I also had a Flor de las Antillas maduro, which again is basically fruitcake with the raisin and plum and a touch of spice.

A buddy of mine gave me a few Macanudo Cafe ascots (4.2 x 32). Not super complex, but surprisingly tasty and fun to smoke. Might keep a few around here or there for friends or to have with coffee.

La Antiguedad was great, I was disappointed in The Judge (I haven't really found a Sumatra wrapper I love, the Ashton VSG didn't do much for me either), and NewFatMike has also made me very interested in trying the My Father Centurion H-2K-CT. I plan on picking up some of the Flor de las Antillas Maduro to try as well since the natural is so good.

I really like the Macanudo Cafe, that and the Oliva Connecticut are probably my two favorite Connecticut cigars that are relatively cheap and readily available. You can usually snag them on sale or on the bid sites for $3-5. I was super into the Perdomo Champagne for a bit but it seems a little too bland now or something. I also rated the Gran Habano Connecticut No. 1 Rothschild and the La Aurora 1495 Connecticut pretty highly as well going back through my little journal.

I ordered a 5 pack of the Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua Maestro, EPC New Wave (drat you NFM), and then some AJ Fernandez samplers to see what Diesel and a couple of the other lines I haven't tried are about.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

Very excited to have another thread reader try the H-2K-CT. I'll be having one of my last ones today myself. Rough day, so I've gotta treat myself right!

E: seems like most places are out of full boxes at the moment, so that bums me out for a restock.

Because you're a cigar devil I actually just ordered a box and split it with a few friends off of Famous Smoke, https://www.famous-smoke.com/el-centurion-corona-h-2k-ct-cigars/item-50446?pid=50446. That link is the corona but they also have it in toro. Use the code CATS on check out for an additional 17% off (any orders over $50) which basically covers the taxes + shipping and a little extra.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NewFatMike posted:

The corona is my preferred vitola because it's a biggun' on that line.

And the standard Centurions are really great, too. If you're a fan of the cereal/wheat profile from Don Pepin Garcia Blue line, you'll be in for a treat.

Corona is quickly becoming my favorite vitola overall with the number of cigars that I've been blowing through. Relatively smaller sizes make it easier to justify smoking 2 cigars a day. I haven't tried the standard Centurion or Don Pepin Garcia Blue yet but they're both on the list now. I seem to go through brand phases in my sampler purchasing, I started with Oliva and Rocky Patel, then Perdomo, next I did Gran Habano and Alec Bradley, then La Aurora, and most recently I'm sort of on an AJ Fernandez spree. It's all mostly the lower end stuff I can find in cheap samplers or low priced 5 packs. The nicer stuff I tend to buy a 5 pack if I can find it cheap or I'll grab singles from my local store.

I smoked a Gran Habano Triple which I guess is identical to the Gran Habano 3 Siglos/SLS but re-branded after a trademark dispute. It was really good. It had an oddly similar taste profile to the Alec and Bradley Gatekeeper I smoked earlier, cedar, sweet tobacco, both with some pepper. It threw me for a bit of a loop honestly.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
So I just burned the roof of my mouth with a frozen pizza and I think this is the culprit of my weird cigar issues I was experiencing. I did it mid cigar because I couldn’t wait to eat some pizza until I was finished and I’m getting the same weird issue but more moderately.

Also I don’t know what a cazadore is but I’m sure I’ll buy some because you’re the cigar devil NFM (and I have no will power). It looks like it’s a mix of a vitola and a quality of cigar? Mixed filler but also 6x44 one website I was reading said?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Whoops I meant picadores but then I wrote and googled the wrong thing. My brain is mush today.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Got a big order from Cigar Bid coming on Monday. Gonna get some CAO Flathead Carbs, some Perdomo Champagne Puritos, and a few of our favorite Nubs. Very excited about it.

I too have a big CI order coming + the box of El Centurion H-2K-CT I’m splitting. I make poor financial decisions.

Man O’ War sampler, Diesel sampler, EPC New Wave 5 pack, PDR sampler, Don Pepin Garcia Black 5 pack, AJ Fernandez sampler (only one repeat on previous ones), Aging Room Quattro Nicaragua 5 pack, Zino Platinum 5 pack, EPC Seleccion Oscuro 5 pack, and the aforementioned El Centurions.

Edit: Forgot I smoked a Sucker Punch (Punch exclusive for Famous Smoke) earlier in the day. It was a pretty good Connecticut, strong.

I smoked a CAO MX2 and it was really good, sort of what I hoped the Camacho Triple Maduro would have been.

Edit: I found the (Ecuadorian) Sumatra cigar I was looking for. Smoking the La Aurora Preferidos Emerald and it is fantastic. I bid on it on CigarBid on a whim and won it on for $4.50 which seems low compared to prices I’m seeing. If I can find similar deals I might buy up a bunch of these.

I’m also reading the old thread because I don’t want to constantly post in here and it’s funny to see Ophidian starting out fairly fresh ten years ago. I feel like he’s in slightly deeper than I am right now but a decade in the past.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Aug 6, 2020

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kenning posted:

Had a Rocky Patel The Edge maduro torpedo last night. It was fine. Really well constructed and smoked great, but the flavor seemed pretty mild and indistinct. Had a few moments of sort of marshmallow sweetness, but otherwise mostly meh. Oh well.

I bought a sampler of five different RP The Edge variants and I’ve found them all to fine but never had a wow moment with them.

I smoked a RoMa Craft EC Intemperance XIII today and it was a phenomenal cigar. It is one of the best Connecticut cigars I’ve smoked. Cream, cedar, some hay type flavors perhaps, and a little tobacco sweetness. At first I was a bit underwhelmed but as the flavors intensified I didn’t want to put it down. It wasn’t complex but just a really good cigar, burn and draw were more or less perfect as well. Smoked it to the tiniest little nub I could manage.

My box of El Centurion H-2K-CT should arrive today and I’ll probably try smoking one tonight because I’m impatient and make poor decisions.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Where did everyone go? I need content! I’m almost to the end of 2010 in the old thread so I guess I still have a good backlog...

Yesterday I smoked a AJ Fernandez Shadow King (Famous Smoke exclusive) and it was decent. I followed it up with a late night Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial that was pretty tasty, a lot of espresso flavor.

I am currently smoking a Villiger Connecticut Kreme which certainly lives up to its name. Pretty much all sweet cream, it’s going pretty well with black coffee, I’m into the last third now and getting some nice tobacco flavor.

The El Centurion H-2K-CT showed up super late (for mail delivery) and I was already smoking the Shadow King so I held off and will smoke one this afternoon with my buddy who I split the box with. My big CigarBid order comes in tomorrow and I’m realizing I don’t really have the space for it so I might need to order another Tupperware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Smoked an El Centurion H-2K-CT and it was great. Excited to throw the other nine in the humidor and see how they go over the next however long I can hold onto them. Curious to see if they get better after they’ve sat for a week or two.

I’m now smoking an Oliva Serie G which is sort of a nice sweet follow up.

I brought some cigars to a buddy’s house to try and free up some space for my CigarBid shipment that’s arriving tomorrow.