Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Mr. Glass posted:

been out of the pipe game for a few years, and discovered that the vulcanite stems on all of my pipes have majorly oxidized :negative: anyone have any tips or recommendations for cleaning them? seeing conflicting things online about bleach or oxyclean to remove the surface oxidization before polishing them back up.

also, any new pipe tobacco brands or blends that i should be looking at? last time i ordered anything was 2015.

I did the oxyclean soak method on a few stems, one being a particularly ancient and browned Peterson and it worked well. First a short oxy soak, then a light scrub to fully remove the discoloration, full rinse off, then using increasingly fine microfiber polishing pads to bring back the shine, since the soak will significantly dull your stem. My only worry was the interior of the stem also being roughened, which is pretty impossible to polish (unaware of any fine grain polishing pipe cleaners out there). I just made sure I ran multiple fresh pipe cleaners through it, both scouring and soft types, and both while wet and dry. It hasn't affected the draw in any of them, far as I could tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'm looking for some pipe tobacco recommendations. I only smoke during winter, and since I keep everything in sealed jars, I haven't bought any new stuff in a long while. I've typically smoked heavy Englishes, Nightcap, that sort of thing. I've got a jar of Northwoods, which leans more aromatic. A couple of years ago I got a sample of MacBaren Old Dark Fired, and despite what people said about a dark, rich flavor, I didn't taste much of anything except ash. I had a Peterson irish whiskey tin that was pretty bland. I still have some vintage Frog Morton (rip), but that was so light that it was like smoking air.

Anyway, I've been out of the game for a while and am bored as hell with what I currently have and need some new flavors. A solid, simple, light, sweeter English. Or maybe something perique-spicy. Or maybe just something really unique. Good standards, hidden gems, whatever. Any recommendations?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Well y'all were right about Gentleman Caller. Good stuff. The deertongue gives it a rich fruit sweetness, like honey with pear or something. It smokes way better than an aromatic. Ghosted the hell out of my churchwarden tho.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Ease of use is a big part of why pipe smoking has fallen off and cigars haven't, but I'd speculate that an additional reason may be that cigars have become a very particular kind of status symbol in a way that pipes haven't. In popular culture, cigars typically signify a specifically masculine form of wealth and success, which is why you always see shows about mob guys and ruthless CEO's, old money geriatrics and power brokers, and the political elite all smoking them (which is why you see some guys who want to project that image smoking them too, despite the fact they may be dirt poor and smoking garbage).

With pipes, they can signify all kinds of poo poo. Thinkers and academic types, hicks, the working class, the aristocracy, the elderly, romantics, insufferable dorks, the masculine or dandyish, the effete, etc. Hell, the materials and shapes even have different connotations. It doesn't really have a fast and simple built in status symbology like cigars.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

a dingus posted:

It's funny you mention this because I really didn't think about the hick, working class etc connotation. When I was searching for why people liked pipe smoking, there were tons of guys who seemed like they were roleplaying a bad 'intellectual' or 'manly' stereotype and I was afraid pipe smoking was just some dumb accessory.

There’s definitely some of those types on youtube. One in particular is a really insufferable “southern intellectual gentleman” nut who is desperately trying to style himself as a plantation owner caricature or some poo poo without a hint of irony, and is really just using pipe videos as a gateway into his hosed up neo-confederate traditionalist politics. These types of weird “dude gurus” are in everything now. But luckily for every one of those losers, there’s a bunch of regular people who just talk about pipes and tobacco in practical terms and guide you to the useful info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
You were reaming a meer? I thought one of the benefits of meers was that they don't need to build a cake, so you can just wipe them out after a smoke. At least, that's how my calabash works.