Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

The CAO Flathead is a really loving intense smoke though. I don't know how people go through something that size and that intensity. I'll have to try it in a much smaller size. It's super tasty and well constructed, but the nicotine is insane.

Having a full tummy before lighting it up is great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I have extremely bad dry mouth from my antipsychotic(s) and brush my teeth like 8 billion times a day, but my young dentist (he’s 27; just a babby :bernin:) says oral care is about useless and I already had a molar extracted because the internal rot and jaw damage was not reversible with care. I can maybe get some temporary relief with OTC products, but the last time I got meds switched it was 12 days with ETC every other day. We had a conference call with my dentist and psychiatrist to discuss it and basically the only message was brain over teeth so plan on implants for the rest of my life.

The good thing is disability will pay for dry mouth-caused bad teeth, but only like once a year. Here’s to 31 years of dental surgery!

Why explain it in the pipe thread? My oral hygienist said I can smoke again once my jaw heals. I haven’t had a cigar or pipe for a month and have to drink coffee/soda to replace the “awake” feelings so I can function at a basic level. Ive smoked a pipe every once or twice a day since 2005, and can’t really figure out what to do with my time. I’ve been learning Python and watching Netflix and Amazon Prime and playing WoW. I miss sitting on my deck puffing away with a book. Can’t focus and only hope a cigar (first one is roughly due January 1st!!!) will help.!

Keep it up pipe guys. I don’t comment as much as I used to in the thread(s) , so I’m living vicariously through all of you!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Happy New Year, you degenerates!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

I'm super intrigued by the Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding Bourbon Barrel Aged. There's a loving chunk of the bourbon barrel inside the tin! I kept it in the jar, so we'll see how that goes.

It works great for Frog Morton’s Cellar tins.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

It's very milk chocolatey

This is my second favorite flavor to discover in a cigar and one of my go to loose bag tobaccos to smoke after lunch in my pipe.

Sadly I had I bought three boxes of Tubed HDM Dark Knights in 2009 because it was not only my American Hoyas but the specific flavor in a very consistent construction and even were better than every Cuban I ever smoked from the first to the present. Every one ended up with the last 2/3 tasted exactly like an marinated steak. Including stuffing the burning butt in my churchwarden. Only cigar I ever fought the urge to chew up and swallow 😜

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ThatOneGuy posted:

The true one-and-done question is how is the PSD4 regarded?

Used to be tied for first with a RASS when friends and I would spit boxes. Of course, that was in 2009. Construction of both has gotten better (compared with other non-domestic cigars), but both have also changed a bit in flavor. Neither is bad or even mediocre; they have lost a bit of luster is all. I would never turn one down, but I don’t advertise their complexity any more. Still solid pick on both.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Giggle Goose posted:

Do you all know of any blends that are similar to On the Town?

On the Town and Cellar are my favorites aside from my 15 year old/new Sherlock’s Choice from my local Tinderbox. I’ve been smoking three times or more a week in the same chair for 16 years now (pre-COVID-19, ofc), and the owner lady is a Goddamn goddess when it comes to sourcing older discontinued or rarer pipe tobacco. Her network is huge because we live in the FedEx national Hub and HQ. She kept me in Dunhill Early Morning Pipe while it disappeared, always at cost + a dram of whatever Scotch in the behind the counter was mine (me and about 7 other regulars brought real quality outstanding Scotch, Bourbon, and rum to go with smokes). She is young, blond, and has a Master’s of Divinity, and we had the exact same taste in everything, so she knew if I liked it enough to share she would like it, too. Anyway she emails me when any FM filters down from Heaven. Still drinks an oz or two of my whiskey as well, even at 10:00 in the morning. On Sunday.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Believe me, I realize exactly how lucky I am! For the first couple of months of quarantine the entire economy was hosed. It’s worked out personally since the three people I live with are all retired and I’m on disability so the only real problem we’ve had is the eBay business has been down a bit, but not for struggling to make ends meet or anything. Most of my circle at the Tinderbox are all old retired folks with former lucrative jobs (pilots for FedEx, a couple of Secret Service and FBI supervisory agents, and one who literally just buys and sells restaurants to clean up and flip), and the one blessing is that the pandemic hasn’t hit anybody’s wallet very hard because it’s all just getting a predetermined check every month. I’ve also known my store owner since I was in my 30s and she was in high school (her parents owned 4 TB locations in Memphis), and she has always been flirty even as a married woman because she married a man who was blue-collar and kinda shy but has made really good friendships with us older guys.

Since last April we’ve still been getting together with each other at my church to smoke two or three times a week at my church on the back porch. Socially distant, masks worn, etc. My pastor is also there at lunch time and he’s always glad to smoke and drink with us without proselytizing too much (a couple of the guys are atheists or of another faith, and my pastor has told them the Church is mainly for them because Jesus didn’t come to save believers but to lead all men to salvation and hung out with “the sinners” instead of the priests). We have a pretty swell setup with space heaters and tarps hung to block the wind, and the tables we sit at are made for 20 so plenty of room to stay 6’ away.

Believe me, I’m not bragging; these friendships have been close to 15 years old and I’m the one that found the place when it was a single location in the suburb and even the “new” guys have been patrons for 10+ years. I’ve been extremely lucky and am aware of it. Plus I’ve probably paid more for Lynne’s education than her folks did, and that doesn’t even count the regulars that we’ve sat with who can’t get away because of Covid-19. We’re all looking forward to the days we can go back inside, but Lynne has kept the stores open even during lockdown and says a couple of locations have gotten better because of folks in uncertain times buy in bulk.
I am lucky, but I know how fragile it can be. But my pastor says that feasting is Kingdom work, and these guys have all come to family time for me when I’ve been inpatient, which is a blessing.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I might be late to the party with this reply, but this article: https://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/life-after-mcclelland outlines some possible replacements for the Morton Frog blends you enjoy, but can no longer get. The article explains the specific reasons why you'll probably never get a one-to-one replacement, but has some excellent starting points to find something that may fit your palate.

Very cool. Got it bookmarked for reading tonight, but first look seems right up my alley!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

The snuff degenerates are welcome in the thread. We are all servants of the devil weed in one fashion or another.

I have a CPAP machine (that I hate) that dries out my nose. My friend at the Tinderbox turned me on to snuff a couple of years ago. I ain’t home now, but I know it’s a “mint” taste in the back of my throat. I’ll use a very small pinch to open up my nose most mornings before I put my contacts in.

Brown Booger club fo-Evan!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nexein posted:

It's a balmy 70 here so I'm fighting 20+ mph winds, AND trying to play Monster Hunter, and this stupid little no name habano is performing way better than it has any right to; spicy and creamy and nutty in all the right ways. One of cigarpage's overrun bundle sticks we bought, I dunno maybe six months ago?

I never had much trouble during smoking of a cigar in the wind, but I had to learn to light a cigar with my pipe-lighter from Zippo. Works well during a beach trip (precovid of course 🤢).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Giggle Goose posted:

After mourning McClelland 3 years after the fact, I picked up a tin of Peterson's Nightcap, Early Morning Pipe and C&Ds Kajun Kake, all three of which are quite nice. Indeed I will probably explore more of both companies stuff next time I place an order.

Edit: Question for you pipe smokers in the thread, do you all smoke different types of blends (ie. latakia vs perique vs whatever) in different pipes?

I have enough pipes to smoke all my various blends and tins in their own dedicated pipe. If I want to try something new or smoke something from home that I know is likely to ghost, I smoke it in a corncob. No fuss! :discourse:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Wish I saw this yesterday... all my cash burned up from a notification at 1:00 am that my new desktop shipped. It will be the only computer since 2010 I didn’t build myself, but it was also the only way to get a 30xx gpu close to MSRP!

Some of those pipes are wonderful!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

Smoked a marvelous Nub Connecticut 460 tonight.
The wind up...the pitch...

quote:

That was a delicious cigar.

He hits it out of the park!!! Never had a disappointing Nub of any kind, but prefer the Habano just for the spice!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Maksimus54 posted:

My wife went to school in Appleton and has family from there as well, it's a neat area

Does she know Cliff Yablonski? That is literally the only other time in my life I hear about Appleton.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I sat down for a bottle of Duvel and a Hemingway Work of Art.

Ive been smoking AF Hemingway cigars since 2006 or so; right around the time my father had his first knee replacement. I love the Short Stories and my favorite is the Signature.

I haven’t had a Between the Lines in a long time, and I love them but I was the only one buying them at my B&M so Lynn stopped stocking them. As long as she keeps the Sig, SS, and Nub Habanos I’ll keep going but I don’t know if we can change back to smoking inside after Covid mandates are safe to repeal. Even in winter we had enough fire pits and propane heaters to sit outside in short sleeves and socially distance.

I just wanted to smoke a Between the Lines in honor of FlyingLemur, well known for his love of Fuente products :vince:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Nubs got me smoking bigger rings. I tried every one as soon as they were on the Tinderbox’s shelves (except the Dub, which I tried later), and really enjoyed the size. So I’ve also been trending up in RG as I smoke a cigar two or three times a week and often for two+ hours. Big Rings are good for that, too (I rarely smoke my pipe in pubic since Covid, although I do smoke it 2x a day every day on the deck).

Also, anybody got any recommendations for Cuban cigars? I want to get him a box for Father’s Day, but don’t have the budget for Cohibas. I’ve not tried a non-American brand for years, so new medium smokes would be great, but I do know coming from European sellers there is a premium as well as shipping.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ophidian posted:

HUP mag 46 perfect in every way IMO. Fresh ones are smoking well IME.

Bolivar PC for a petite corona size

HDM petite robusto for a nub size.

R&J short Churchill’s for robusto size

R&j Cazzadores for lonsdale

Excellent! Thanks, Ophidian!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ArfJason posted:

decided to try spicing it up and taking the tobacco out of a marlboro cig and put it in my pipe. pretty fancy!

:barf: 🤮

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

Pair it with a roaring fire and an Oktoberfest! It won't be the last super fancy smoke I have to ring in the new decade!

Now that’s a cozy scene! It was chilly on the porch this morning, and I was up at 4 am because I haven’t been sleeping more than 2-3 hours at a time for the last few months so I got my dog up (lazy, deep sleeper) and threw some kindling and newspapers on the fire pit and read a book on my iPad 4 while drinking a pot of coffee along with some good burley in my pipe. My dad came out a couple of hours later so we drank a bit of Irish coffee along with a couple of 5 year old Don Pepin Blues (robustos) until my Granny got up at 9.

It was in the low 70s by then and not quite raining by then, so it was nice all around. Forgot how nice a pipe can be in the cool breezes even in the dark. I had to relight and tamp twice, but it was my fault forgetting to puff enough while reading and it would go out.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Gramps posted:

I don't even think they're in remotely the same class personally. The G isn't even my highest rated Oliva- that goes to the Serie V, Melanio, the Master blends 3, and the Nub Dub. The Bijou is better than all of those and I LOVE all those Olivas I mentioned.

Serie V Lanceros are a gift from God. The only thing is most of the time I smoke my pipe, and the lanceros smoke quickly if I forget to “adjust” my puffing style.

I have my last bowl of Frog Morten On The Town to burn in about three hours. One of my 70+ y/o friends is moving to a Mississippi retirement home for veterans and today is his last day with us, so I may smoke a Kristoff with him instead. I’m going to miss him because he was a forensics guy with the FBI for forty years and I met him twenty years ago when he certified my set up in the DNA station in the lab in Nashville . We ran into each other randomly at the Tinderbox in Memphis five years ago and he came with us to the socially-distant smoking club after lockdown. He’s very smart and wrote a few books on both forensic techniques and how to carry yourself as an expert witness in court, and strategies lawyers use to cast doubt on you credentials or character. Considering I’m the youngest in the group at 47, I hope we’ll see him again soon.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

<snip informative post>
Mr. Wiggles is all correct. Tongue bite is the bane of all beginning pipe smokers, and much like “how to pack a perfect one-light bowl,” it just takes a bit of informed practice. Wiggles’ advice is spot on, and everything from how wet the tobacco is to the cut and even how well it’s packed can affect the smoke. I very rarely even think about it anymore because I haven’t tried much new stuff over quarantine and know how each of my tobaccos are to be treated because most of my core tobaccos I’ve smoked for a decade or longer. Hell, my son was amazed that 12 years ago I could pack and light a pipe while driving at night, with one hand on the wheel.

It’s just practice and familiarity with your tools.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Thanks for the advice fellas. I've got a sample of Virginia baccy so I guess I'm starting out at the hotter end of town. the same place does Cavendish samplers so I'll order that to try out. Will try and be patient with the drying too - too used to cigars being ready to go immediately.

I'm getting there with the packing - started out packing them too tight and over compensated to too loose. Out of ~10 smokes Ive had one which was great, the rest so so. I don't mind relighting but it's the lack of smoke which is annoying.

Funnily enough it was the flake which has been my best attempt. I rubbed the hell out of it and left it for 10mins and it was beautiful.

I'm smoking a corncob so that helps. Trying to feel out the trade
before I commit to anything more. Certainly more work than a cigar, but makes.more economical sense in Australia to be smoking a pipe

America, too. Pipe tobacco prices have gone up slightly, even over the last decade. You can still get a gas station lighter, pipe nail, 1oz. new tobacco, and a sub$5 corncob for less than a single good cigar. Before I stopped physically going to my smoke shop, if a new Tinderbox-original pipe tobacco came in this is what I would do. Even if I had 10 good briars in my tote, it was still better to chance new tobacco (esp. aromatics) in a cheap corncob to protect your good pipes from any sour notes or ghosting after effects.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Nexein posted:

Bhk stands for "Be Himbo, K?"

:lol:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor Medic posted:

a bunch of us are now the proud owners of The G.O.A.T. Stand.

:thumbsup::pwn::razz:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah I just don't discord!

I did smoke two pipes today, though!

:same:
My stuff (including my discord-capable laptop with a now nonfunctional battery) won’t work outside. And I love my pipe but have 0 desire to smoke where I sleep.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Kenning posted:

Happy Thanksgiving y'all.

Seconded! Hope everyone including the fereneers who don’t celebrate Thanksgiving had a good day and food in their bellies! And a good pipe full or cigar afterwards!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Hayden posted:

You sonofabitch. I reloaded the page at least three times.:golfclap:

:lmao: Got me, too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor Medic posted:

Dear Santa,

You are a gentleperson, a scholar, a purveyor of only the finest things in life. I am going to enjoy *the hell* out of all of this.

Merry Wintertide, everyone!

edited to add: holy poo poo this jerky is amazing

Is the jerky the small jar that looks like the bottle of red flakes on every table at Pizza Hut since (at least) the ‘80s? I hope so…fresh jerky is better than factory-pressed chunks, and I like factory-pressed chunks! What is the meat and what spice or flavor is it? Share! Share!
:allears:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Doctor Medic posted:

The meat is homemade venison jerky from a deer that was extremely recently alive! It has no gamey flavour at all, and is a little bit sweet and just the right amount spicy, with an absolutely perfect texture.

Ah, ok. I got excited because one of my best friends on the school bus always shared the “tailings” of his dad’s deer jerky with me. No chunks or slabs, just spices and quality meat-shavings in a plastic sandwich bag. It was soooo good, but it looked just like the “flakes” in your picture! Nostalgia can bring memories from nowhere (1985-1990 came back as a full-sensory rush seeing that jar and “jerky” in the same sentence!
:corsair:).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Corn cobs are great and you can never have enough. I'd recommend Carter Hall as a good introductory burley, it has a bit of a topping but it is a classic and one of my go-to smokes. I'd recommend PS41 Cube Cut as an alternative burley with less topping, and the cube cut style is easy to deal with as a newbie (lightly gravity fill the pipe, barely tamp, and you should be good to go).

For aromatics, I like RLP-6 as a basic one. It's the generic and humectant-free version of Captain Black White, one of the most commonly sold tobaccos, and it's easy to see why - very inoffensive to smoke and pleasant smell to be around. If you end up liking aromatics, I fully recommend Boswell stuff as high-tier aromatics. Would also be a good starting point.

There's a ton of variety in English stuff and I haven't dived in as much there, but a good light introduction to the genre would be Early Morning Pipe.

Go Royal Yacht…it’s a perfect light tobacco with no nicotine. Smoke it on an empty stomach, too.

Or you could just mainline Cocaine. The effects are milder…:grin:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Am I misunderstanding, or are you folks talking about removing the pipe stem to swab it during a smoke, or after the bowl has finished and cooled down? Because it’s a really bad idea to move/rotate/break down a hot stem on a briar/vulcanite/clay/meerschaum pipe, because it could expand and/or cool unevenly and ruin a well-fit pipe permanently. That’s if you’re lucky enough not to just snap the stem off in the first place. Are these pipes you’re discussing made to where this doesn’t matter anymore? I would be interested if this was “new” (at least to me!) technology for briars—-I break cobs all the time because usually I’m more interested in just putting it away quickly cleaned, even if the bowl is still hot/warm to touch. I’ve seen broken briars from the same treatment, though.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Falcon pipes are weird, they have a detachable bowl above a metal reservoir that's one piece with the rest of the stem et al.

Holy poo poo does that look like a weird way to solve a problem (that is a rare problem I’ve had maybe four times in a decade after starting to smoke a pipe around 17 years ago). Doesn’t all that metal heat up to where you cannot hold the bowl in your hand as you’re pontificating (bullshitting) with your smoking buddies? I mean, a bowl too hot to hold generally means you’re puffing too fast anyway, but that’s briar/meerschaum/cob talking…I’ve always figured metal pipes would just be for weed or cigarette tobacco since metal+fire=ouchie.

And don’t get me started on my groan (imo, obviously…don’t let anyone tell you what you should enjoy or how you enjoy your tobacco time!) at “stuff in the stem.” That cutaway just confused (frightened) me. Just completely out of my wheelhouse is all…what are the selling points on that style and how do they work for an everyday (or fouraday) puffer?

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Glass posted:

also, any new pipe tobacco brands or blends that i should be looking at? last time i ordered anything was 2015.

Peterson’s replacement for a few of the Dunhills’ tins are pretty good, if you can catch them in stock (Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, Elizabethan Mixtures I’ve all been through…no idea about Flake or Royal Yacht). They copied the tin designs, too.

Edit:

The metal actually doesn't get very hot - it's only touched by smoke and vapor, none of the tobacco should be touching it as its all contained in the briar (or meerschaum) bowl which threads in above the reservoir.

Selling points for me are mostly the moisture removal that the reservoir provides, helps with a cool and dry smoke. Blends that might gurgle in another pipe are typically fine in a Falcon, or if they do build up I can just twist off the bowl and dab out the reservoir mid-smoke. Aside from that the draught hole is in the very bottom of a Falcon bowl; I often find I can smoke down to the last scrap much more effectively in my Falcon than I can in other more traditional pipes. It's also pretty price effective in that bowls are only $30ish, so you can buy a bunch of bowls to use for specific blends pretty easily.

If you want a REALLY weird pipe you can graduate to the H Wiebe reservoir pipes. I have a tall bent one and love it too.

Learn something new every day :pipe:

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2022

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Ishamael posted:

That did the trick, thanks man!

Just replying to wave “Hi!” to Ishamael from the cheap seats…nice to see you back!

Now if we could just get Lemur to post about how bad Fuentes are…:argh:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Keyser_Soze posted:

I still have too much pipe tabak.

I’m working for more info here:
1) Are these unopened tins you haven’t smoked yet from a stash/already smoking/fresh new finds in a dusty corner of a b&m or secondhand online?

and

2) if the last, where did you locate them and how much were they?

Just curious because it’s been so long since Dunhill sold its tobacco and tin”art” to Peterson, and I still have a couple of unopened tins of different Dunhills around too and just wanted to commiserate 🥲 and :hfive: .

Also, the Peterson era-replacements are good enough to take away the sting, but sometimes even the new versions are hard/expensive to source. I’m always interested in seeing links to some community or store that I may not have found yet. I love & miss (& hoard!)my OG tobaccos, but the prices and rarity of unopened tins have kept me from buying any originals over at least the Covid-era tobacco market. The whole world has sucked since then, though, except for the schadenfreude of the cryptocurrency bubble deflating slowly which is at least fun to read on SA anyways.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

NewFatMike posted:

Peterson Early Morning Pipe owns. Fresh cracked tin with all of two minutes of dry time.

Definitely! I’ve been much happier with the Peterson “replacements” than the bulk versions made available when Dunhill hiccuped supply in the ‘00s. They were decent, but didn’t really taste like the original tobaccos. The Peterson versions are a tiny bit different (except for Royal Yacht, which has neither the flavor or nicotine of the Dunhill) which happened even to the official Dunhill tins over multiple-year periods of every day use. I’m satisfied enough not to bitch, but sometimes it’s hard to source even the Peterson tins these days. And I’m part of the problem: multi-buying stock if I catch them available even when I have sealed tins at home already.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Holy crap I have some really nice meerschaum pipes, but these are art! I can only imagine what one of these with 3 or 4 generations of orientals smoked through would darken up to look like!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Meerschaums aren’t supposed to get any cake at all! Clean out the bowl completely after every smoke through it, which is easy because there’s not any cake buildup.

The way you “develop” (cannot come up with any other word…maybe “age?”) a meerschaum pipe is to smoke through it…over (a longass) time the oils from your hand + tobaccos’ oils bring a mellowed brown to the bowl…the word I’m looking for is “patina,” but not in the yellowed-fingernails-from-cigarettes sense.

As a caveat, I have no experience with Falcon pipes or interchangeable bowls. My meerschaum pipes are all about as old as my grown son, and are packed away in gentle storage with my scrimshaw ivory pipe and tiger skin rug 🥰.

Fake edit:
I like your pipe in the picture! I don’t own any Falcons, and am opposed to filters (I will die on this hill!) in general, but I’m also able to appreciate beauty and engineering. You don’t have to worry about ghosting in a meerschaum at all, and Falcon shouldn’t have had to change that aspect. I recommend smoking at least a small bowl through it every day, as the color is added directly through time and use. Aromatics are wonderful in a meerschaum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Howard The Dork posted:

Anyone ever tried anything like these?

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Tabac-Manil/les-bouchons-%28box-of-10%29/product_id/501649

Now you can combine the finickiness of cigar storage with the trickiness of pipe smoking. But seriously, I bet they are dope. Someone buy them and let us know.

I thought this was offensive to my sensibilities…then I saw the price and knew it offended my sensibilities.

I’m not being snobbish, either. I have occasionally smoked a cigar so good that I didn’t want to end it…so I would whip out one of my king-size bowled briars to smoke it to ash (this was more common pre-Covid when I would spend 3-4 days a week at the Tinderbox smoking a wide selection of tobaccos). Something like a Don Pepin Blue, or an Anejo Shark around Christmas. I had a smoking buddy who smoked every single >$3 cigar butt in a corncob to wring out every penny. It is a widely and diversely enjoyed pastime, and my great grandpa (who died while I was in Kindergarten) smoked entire King Edwards through his (now my) pipes…never touching a cigar to lips. So I’m not being snobbish, gatekeeperish, or elitist. It just reeks of “gimmick” and “wasting would could be good tobacco for decent cigars” instead of “neat idea.” For $75 a pipe smoker could not only get a few tins of premium pipe tobacco and multiple ounces of premium bulk tobacco but still have enough for a really excellent basket briar (or a Missouri Meerschaum and a fuckton of tobacco!).

Stuff like an Egg or a 10x100 novelty cigar maybe under the thinking that went into this…the absolute only use case I could see for this is as a display piece like the Egg. Something to show off, especially at that price point. Something for the evidence pile when the workers rise up and prosecute the bourgeois during the Revolution.

Maybe I’m just in a bad mood from being an early riser with an older man’s arthritis and this pissed me off. Maybe I thought you could spend that money on a decent bottle of Scotch, or two decent bottles of bourbon to go with an ounce of Lane 1Q. It just offends me, I think, because all the cigar and pipe (and cigar + pipe!) people I’ve ever known would rather spend that money buying a friend a good cigar. Maybe gifting a new smoker his first Churchwarden & Vir/Per. At least more FunkoPops won’t (possibly!) contaminate your opulent office with tobacco beetles when the AC dies on a weekend away. At least your gold toilet bowl can be melted down after your death and put to use in electronics or even jewelry on your third wife’s neck. I gotta go take some ibuprofen for my back and head now. :oldmanyellingatclouds.gif:

Ninja edit: This post was (not quite) tongue-in-cheek, but was definitely not aimed at OP or anyone else here…just know that if I saw this in your study I would form mainly spurious judgements silently in your direction 🤨