Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

What's a challenge run without taking the harder route in the game :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

7: Never mind bows, check out These Guns

Last time we walked into a trap

but let's not pretend anyone reading this didn't know this was coming or anything.

But before we get started on it: Archer Emblem, motherfuckers!

Granted Neimi averages max str by 20/20 and is probably going to get there by the end of the game so the smartest thing might have been to save this for Innes but you know what? Innes is not pink.

She didn't need any help erasing this guy. Soldiers™.

loving soldiers.

Garcia also drew the knight up top. This formation is intended to

draw in this guy for Neimi to kill

and hey! Guess that energy ring made her realize that she likes being buff?

Ephraim spawns in. I remembered that taking a little more time and thought i'd get one more turn before that...

We'll have to go fast to get to them before they start fighting things with those weapons they still have. I want to sell those for bow money!

Ross finished.

This'll buy us a turn or two.

The archer and soldier are coming for them, but i'm probably going to be able to divert the latter and the archer alone isn't a problem.

Hell yes! Old man's still got it!

I was hoping it'd be enough to grab the soldier's attention

so Forde got into one (1) round of combat, run invalidated lp over everyone go home

I dropped Neimi in the corner to draw in the mage.

Next turn, reinforcements come in, but we got it in the bag now.

Gimme all those weapons!

We've blocked off with the axe boys and everyone's safe.

Even, as it turns out, said axe boys.

She's fine, and so's her rapier! Not a scratch on it.

Enough speed to double cavs, very nice.

This guy does not comprehend how boned he is.

...Ross also seems to have some trouble understanding such things...

I remember there being a thief at some point so i decided to run up and loot the... whatever it is in the room up on the right. First step, Neimi this nerd.

Hahahahahahayes, i do believe i like it.

Axe boys have this handled.

Natasha's got some work ahead of her, though.

Because they're continuing up the left side path, and there are some sword dudes there.

So i opened with Vanessa, ran in with Colm,

rescued with Seth and then took and dropped with Kyle, so both thief and loot are safe. I was a little worried that Seth would get overwhelmed, though...

Ross and Garcia are in no danger.

Natasha finally hit C staves. It still bothers me that Moulder comes in with C on joining, several maps before Natasha joins with a lower rank! He's almost to A by now, and that just doesn't seem fair.

Wow. That is excellent.

And as for Seth...? Yeah, i didn't need to worry.

And with her Colm support and energy ring, Neimi is able to oneround most of these clowns!

The one guy she couldn't kill with the iron bow still gets doubled and murdered by steel.

Movin' on up.

Meanwhile Neimi is continuing to build muscles!

:nallears:

Hand axe stratszszs

Lots of good levels on our fighters this map!

Room's clean, no thief. Now i'm guessing he triggers when you move into the big room?

I was going to put Neimi here to draw the archer

and then i was like "wait he has a longbow doesn't he"

but it's fine, i didn't use Vanessa for this and Colm can still soak one hit.

You know, if he has to.

Almost worn this down already.

But i can oneshot with steel so the old iron bow sticks around for another couple turns.

I don't have any keys on this side so we can't do anything with the treasure room, but did get an A support out of the trip.

Yeah.

Time to breach. Not a lot of enemies left, should be easy enough.

There he is!

The little poo poo!!

Unfortunately he outspeeds Colm so i can't grab his lockpicks even though i really want to.

Well that was a lot of nothing. Also A axes, though.

Some mage reinforcements spawn in with the thief but i'm not impressed.

Even less so with these guys.

Oh, the thief went left, that makes this even easier...

:atlus:

Oneshot.

And more oneshot! With the iron bow, this time!

Gonna draw in the scrubs with Seth, make it a little easier to kill them.

s t r o n g

That's all so it's time for Colm to loot the last room.

Truly a tiresome tirade, Tirado.

... :sigh:

Moulder's hit A staves. I'll probably throw that guiding ring on him the moment he hits level 10, an extra point of move would be really nice.

Tirado's harmless.

Ross crit him.

I can't use either of these, but they sure are shiny.

Last minute heals

and we seize!

Don't think about Lyon, he's a silly man.

"I was gonna say something about how you both seem to have grown stronger but uh"

And finally, we are presented with quite the conundrum...

(except i've more or less already told you how this goes but we can pretend ok!!)

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Wow, swole Neimi.

Almost as good as Bernie.

Almost.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

vilkacis posted:

Granted Neimi averages max str by 20/20 and is probably going to get there by the end of the game so the smartest thing might have been to save this for Innes but you know what? Innes is not pink.

Innes is actually tickled pink on the inside because you are the first person to actually use him past his first map

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Weeble posted:

Wow, swole Neimi.

Almost as good as Bernie.

Almost.

Hey.

Bernie is good and all, but is she pink? Hell no, checkmate bernadeers :smuggo:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Innes is actually tickled pink on the inside because you are the first person to actually use him past his first map

poo poo you're right

mistakes may have been made!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
God drat that Neimi strength :stwoon:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yes!

I looked up the averages and the point where she averages 15 str is 20/1 after promotion bonuses.

She is, however, two points behind on speed... which is a perfectly acceptable trade.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

8: On the straight and arrow

Last time i said something about a conundrum, but in truth it's not much of one because i played Eirika's route the last time and it wasn't that long ago so although i would get the rest of the party faster on that path, we're doing Ephraim's route this time.

(Also, this is still a challenge run and going with Ephraim is typically considered the hardest option.)

We will, of course, not be visiting it.

Just stack up on healing staves... again...

...and also vulneraries. I would have bought more vulneraries, but then i ran out of gold.

Well then, away!

The next map's pretty big.

But it's probably better than the one where Tana joins Eirika. Less brigands gunning for villages on this one...

Although Ephraim's path is considered harder, it is generally offset a bit by the fact that Ephraim himself is a better unit than Eirika - and especially a level 1 untrained Eirika. I won't have to be quite as careful with him as i would have needed to be with her. But of course, he still won't be seeing much action! That's not the point of this run.

No, the point is Neimi kills loving everything.

She is unstoppable!

:cawg:

There's quite the crowd heading for us, though.

(Including this idiot who is now dead.)

Oh yeah, and the priest has a sleep staff with 10 hit, look at this id-

-iot...?!

No, i'm not saying the ai cheats but it sure is terribly convenient that there were like 8 people in range who should have been more tempting targets and yet he nails Neimi, specifically, at 10%...

Anyway

that's not a good one.

I did think to buy a restore staff though so that sleep spell's just more exp for Natasha.

Neimi's mad.

Oh, you motherfucker...

But landing two 10%s in a row would have been a little much.

Hmm, tough guy.

Ross killed him on enemy phase though, and look! It's the best kind of bad level.

Point: choked.

That's the last charge. Freedom! :byodame:

Oh, gross. Put it back.

We do need to heal Ross, but it's easy enough

to lift Natasha out of the way and let Neimi in to do her thing.

Fappo!

No one will use this, but it's probably worth like one stack of vulneraries.

I said put it back!

That was easy enough, but then our levels are pretty high.

I'm confident enough that i'm baiting with Neimi.

And incompetent enough to put Colm close to her for support benefits without checking for javelins.

Neimi, contrary to popular belief, is also not a horse.

There, everything's fine.

Did some healing, but of course that put the healers in range. No worries, everyone can take a hit.

Unless it's a crit.

This is a little dangerous but i like that oneshot opportunity.

Ephraim's one tile short of recruiting Amelia before she suicides. Ugh.

Well okay fine here's a nice juicy Seth to plink away at. I don't mind killing recruitable characters for exp, as long as they're prepromotes, but i'd feel bad for murdering Amelia. Besides, she'd barely be worth any experience!

I love this shot, it looks like she's just bouncing off.

Like i said, Ephraim's much more durable than level 1 Eirika, so this is fine.

That is adorable, now go dunk yourself in the blue paint before you hurt yourself.

"All those headpats! He is a degenerate!"

Anyway i hope you've enjoyed your Amelia Content for this lp, she can't learn how to bows so she's never doing anything ever again.

And with his job done for now, Ephraim gets airlifted out of the danger zone.

There are some reinforcements incoming but we're in pretty good condition to receive them.

Good enough that i'm going to get started on the obnoxious guys on the sides!

Ow, but fine.

loving longbows, why can they have them when i can't this is so unfair

Neimi decided she's buff enough for now so she got the other Good Stat instead. She'd have had more str than speed even without the energy ring!

This isn't important, i just like how it looks.

I will hoard this.

This is what you get for keeping longbows from me, rear end in a top hat!

I wounded this cavalier enough that he ran to the priest for help. Let's make sure he doesn't get any!

And then, he died.

Natasha's making a pretty good case for herself, too bad she's a million levels behind and won't be promoting until the last map even at this pace!

gently caress i hate grinding healer levels!!!!!

Getting Nemi to 20 this map

you can't stop me

Can't stop me!

We're close enough to start thinking about the top bit. This guy has a killing edge and that's a bit nasty. Don't want to take him on with the axe guys.

Oh for f:doh:

The priest in the boss room has both sleep and physic. He is obnoxious.

...but not very accurate.

Suddenly, reinforcements! Maybe i won't need to boss abuse for that Neimi level.

Using Seth to bait.

I don't understand how these idiots pick their targets but you chose poorly.

Wow that's a lot of horses.

Time to kill them all!

Need levels on axe guys too, i think i'm getting a seal next map? And then i can finally switch one of them over to Full Bow Mode.

Ross is making a good case for himself...

Then again, Garcia isn't bad either!

Seriously?

Well, that's the last wave, so we'll focus on mopping them up.

This guy doesn't move.

So we can safely start on the chests. Unfortunately Ross' pick is a little bit bummy at this point since i couldn't nab the one on the thief...

Yeah i just like to casually oneround knights with an archer, how about you? He drops a door key, i'm not using it.

That was a little painful and we can't even use the weapon. Boo!

Drew the myrm with Seth and ouch! I think that's the closest he's been to death all game. He can take the crit, though!

And Neimi can oneshot the myrm in return with Colm helping out.

Last few enemies...

...might take a few turns more than strictly necessary, thanks physic guy.

Already had one of these, but i also have two healers so

Busted down the wall and grabbed Tana. She's blue so you just get her even if you don't do this but what the hell, i'm not in a rush.

Uuuughhhh

At least Garcia got a pretty good level smacking him. He's actually slower than Ross now. Only took the kid 25+ levels...

Jeeerrrrkkkk

GO AWAY

Moulder's ready to promote.

And Neimi's close behind.

Your physic isn't going to help you now!

Gheb has no ranged weapons.

I said you suck! What are you going to do about it?

Insulting me to death isn't going to work, i call myself worse things on a daily basis

well okay so he is actually on a throne and somewhat dodgy but this is just a matter of time.

Well! Or rather, a matter of having 99 exp and not caring one way or another whether you hit or not, i guess.

Neimi can go sniper or ranger, and ranger is objectively the superior option, it loses like one point of potential str in exchange for horse movement (and a speed cap one point higher),

but this is an archer run and we're going to arch it up to the best of our abilities so here's a bigger bow!

As for Gheb, i was planning to soften him up,

but Garcia crit and killstole. Oh well. They're tied in speed again!

Well since Garcia is capped, i guess i know who's promoting next chapter, but Ross could still use this for a few more maps.

Moulder also gets his promotion on,

and since we don't care for offensive magic i'll just do the one that feels more appropriate. Of course, +1 move is the main attraction here, but more durability - and more healing power - isn't a bad thing either.

Here's a sneak peek at Neimi's promoted sprite, we will be seeing a lot of it.

This too.

And then, on to the next map!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

vilkacis posted:

"All those headpats! He is a degenerate!"

You hacked Rean into this? But he uses a tachi

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I have no idea who that is, sounds like a poser. I only roll with the og king of headpats :colbert:

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
You should have made Erika an Archer with the power of ROMs but other than that this should be a fun read

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Your Ross is among the worst I have ever seen (he tends to turn out godly in my games). Could this be punishment for not making him a pirate? Only time will tell.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

How Rude posted:

You should have made Erika an Archer with the power of ROMs but other than that this should be a fun read

I had considered turning every playable character into a bow-using class, but that would be a much, much easier run than this. Might still be fun to do at some point, though!

TravelLog posted:

Your Ross is among the worst I have ever seen (he tends to turn out godly in my games). Could this be punishment for not making him a pirate? Only time will tell.

If your Ross is turning out godly, it's because you're lucky, not because Ross is good.

Average: 35 hp, 20 str, 12 skl, 11 spd, 18 lck, 10 def, 6 res
Mine has 33 hp, 20 str, 13 skl, 11 spd, 16 lck, 7 def, 6 res.

So he is below average, but not in a crippling manner. -3 def is kinda significant, but -2hp/luck is whatever. He's dead on for speed (if he were three points behind in that, it would suck!) and hit that 20 str two levels before the average.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Defense is almost irrelevant in the GBA games when it's ridiculously easy to dodge-tank (almost) everything. Even a Pegasus Knight who refuses to gain strength (lookin' at YOU, Florina, Shanna, and Vanessa) can hold a chokepoint and draw enemies away if they hit their other growths since enemies ignore accuracy. Well, except maybe Syrene, unless you get obscenely lucky with levels. And Juno.

In a normal playthough, anyways.

EDIT: Also, Ross is only good because he almost always ends up as a Berserker, which is god-tier in the GBA games, with 50 levels worth of stats to back it up. Which is awesome.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 14, 2020

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
It's not ridiculously easy to dodge if your name is Ross. He's very overleveled right now, so his dodge is okay, but the game is going to catch up, and Def matters to him.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, Ross is excellent not for his stats, which are thoroughly mediocre but serviceable, but for his access to berserker. A sword master with a ton of hp, strength and stronger weapons is a VERY potent class and even a merely serviceable one can pop generals like a can opener.

His only competition for the king of 1 hit ko class is dozla and uh...
Even dozla's class can't salvage dozla.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Dance Officer posted:

It's not ridiculously easy to dodge if your name is Ross. He's very overleveled right now, so his dodge is okay, but the game is going to catch up, and Def matters to him.

He's actually one of the best candidates for Speedwings, if you go for Berserker. His speed growth is just high enough where he'll likely be juuuuuuuuust under the wire for doubling most things, and even one could very well put him over the top.

Granted, he'll never hit L'arachel levels of dodging, but it should be enough. Isn't his defense growth like 15%? He's gonna be relying on sheer HP more than anything else

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

He's actually one of the best candidates for Speedwings, if you go for Berserker. His speed growth is just high enough where he'll likely be juuuuuuuuust under the wire for doubling most things, and even one could very well put him over the top.

Granted, he'll never hit L'arachel levels of dodging, but it should be enough. Isn't his defense growth like 15%? He's gonna be relying on sheer HP more than anything else

He actually isn't, because Garm exists, and the spedwings are better spent on making Seth better.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Dance Officer posted:

He actually isn't, because Garm exists, and the spedwings are better spent on making Seth better.

Garm doesnt exist for 2/3s of the game and the argument that all stat boosters could go to seth applies to every booster for every unit.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
And also why use Seth when you could not?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Speedwings are for Duessel, the best and coolest prepromote :colbert:

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

vilkacis posted:

Speedwings are for Duessel, the best and coolest prepromote :colbert:

I'll allow this.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

9: Utterly bowned

This map we're recruiting Duessel!

Duessel is Very Good but unfortunately i do not think he will be adopting Amelia in this run.

She's not here, see.

Honestly this was the part where i really started questioning if i should have gone with Ephraim because i'd have a full party so much faster if i didn't but then i decided that what loving ever we're here now and also i've already overwritten the pre-decision save.

From one thing to another, the boss of the chapter looks pretty scary

with her humongous Bolting range

but of course Valter comes in and removes her before she can actually become a problem.

(Don't worry, though. She'll be an issue soon enough.)

Not much to say about the start; we moved the people who are going to fight down the only path available to them. Nothing out of the ordinary here.

A bit of movement on enemy phase. I don't think we're saving Duessel's greenies on this run, just a feeling i have...

Ugh.

He has a 1/5 chance to just delete people with his dad nearby, though, so it's fine.

Neimi also finds Ross' dad inspiring.

SNIPER

Go join the blue team without making an rear end of yourself?

Just a suggestion??

Next turn wasn't quite so problem-free but Ross managed to dodge a bit.

Just not enough!!

So instead we take it a little more slowly.

Not moving up quite as far.

We do need to push on here because i'm pretty sure the village by Duessel has a promotion item i need so just turtling is not an option.

(Also there's reinforcements coming from behind.)

You call that a hit?

Ross got a better level in this timeline. I'm fine with that!

Nice lancereaver, nerd! He drops it, not that anyone can use it. Gerik might, eventually, for like two maps? I don't remember how quickly we get more promotions.

Boom! Oneshot!

Natasha is at B staves now.

Goddamn that's a lot of staff using!

Enemies closing in on the greenies.

And on Garcia, too, but uh. You might have to try a little harder than that.

It's not too bad straight away and i think this village is basically 100% safe since one of the green units will sit on it for the terrain bonus, but the greenies themselves are about to get piled up on.

Oh and then there's this rear end in a top hat.

Too bad i can't use this!

Too bad he has a loving killer lance!!

He doesn't move, though.

Yet.

Garcia hit the upper village for a torch staff. Oh great, just what i needed, a reminder of the next map...

Natasha has B staves... and is still only level 6. Hate grinding healer levels!!!

Yeeeeah these guys aren't going to last long.

Pff.

Duessel isn't in any danger but he's not making a good case for himself either.

Archers are... good...?

Don't like the look of those wyverns. Do not like it!

And i also don't like these guys, why'd they have to show up, it's just rude.

Ross and Garcia splat this guy

and you?

Get out.

I mean i might have liked to have another flying unit but i do not like to have a flying unit with a crit chance on the enemy side when i'm doing a challenge run.

The others aren't quite as threatening.

(Nor this guy.)

That's a lot of pirates...

But we also have to deal with these reinforcements before they fall upon us from behind. Ross could use the exp...?

Probably should have sent Garcia too but we need to clean these guys out so Ephraim can get down and talk to Duessel so we can get to the village.

This is fine.

But this is not!

Goddammit. But at least this time through we've managed to get rid of some of the pirates,

Neimi's plugging the bridge and

are you goddamn joking

After an embarrassing number of attempts at this, i finally got Ephraim into position without losing anyone.

"And also because i am literally not allowed to or we game over."

Only it's not his life, but someone else died and then i threw my loving controller across the room and decided to call it for the day.

Next attempt! I do have this, huh...

:sigh:

Well, at least it's hp so maybe he won't loving explode now.

ARROWS.

I loving love the gba fighter animation don't @ me.

Oh and apparently that robe only made me more overconfident because Ross exploded.

Let's try that again.

Maybe if we make a wall like so...

It's better than last time, i'll take it.

Okay that works i guess.

Let's kill.

And get this support, why not?

Right, that's the last guy here.

So let's head south.

Again.

(I did not forget the village.)

The part of Wall will be played by Seth.

See this guy? He wishes he could take hits like Seth.

This guy isn't very dangerous.

These kind of are though!

But since Ross has that unfortunate explosion habit, i'm going to have Garcia kill them.

Cormag status: extremely owned.

These guys still not a huge hassle but i need to kill them before they become one.

Hello! You are so small and squishy!

Hopefully we can handle it this time.

I don't see the reinforcements mattering, at leas-

God loving drat it Ross how

Ffffff okay maybe i can use Vanessa?

Not putting her in ballista range, though.

But she can do this.

And then peace out!

You know what, i would happily take def and res on tinfoil boy but then i put Vanessa in bow range anyway

and the next time he was not so lucky.

Still think i have something here.

Okay no huge fuckups this time.

Natasha still level 6!

Greenies still dying!

Cormag still going to get arrowed!

This time Garcia's sitting right in the spawn zone.

But Neimi got hit one time too many

and Natasha got killed aaaaa how the gently caress am i loving this up so hard

This, then?

Gonna plug this bridge.

Think we'll get to keep this one...?

I'm pretty sure it's not going to be Seth dying and robbing us of it.

Pretty sure, mind, not entirely.

One of the soldiers lived long enough to heal.

Sure, why the hell not Moulder needs S staves at some point.

I think this should work...?

:eyepop:

We're pretty close now, at least.

Wyverns down, they're the most threatening things on the field.

Garcia cleans house.

Ross still gets close to death!

But this time doesn't eat a low-hit ballista bolt,

so he lives through the round!

Just cleaning out a pirate

and now i can drop Ephraim close enough to talk to Duessel!

No taking risks at this point, this is Elixir Hour.

Last guy up top.

And a nice big bridge-blocking paladin.

There!

And now!

You're telling me?! I'm like five seconds from quitting Fire Emblem forever Naga H Christ

But this will help.

Will help someone. Ugh, but now i have to make a decision...

it's gonna be Garcia, there, that wasn't so hard.

After all, we already promoted Neimi and she can't use it anyway.

Ross is getting up there in levels and would really appreciate the de-squishing, but i can make a squishy unit less squishy or a tough unit tougher and... i think Garcia will be more useful.

I didn't get to go even a single round with this guy or really even look at this stats because i knew i wasn't going to fight him, but it doesn't matter, the map is done and i am never doing this ever again!

Unlike most instances where they say something like this, there actually were remaining enemy troops around to flee! Most of the time it's like "What enemy troops? I killed literally everything on this map" but...

Anyway! Garcia! Is now a warrior! Honestly as much as this seems to be the appropriate destination for Garcia, Hero might be a better choice for him because it gives two points of speed which is likely to be Garcia's biggest issue, and for some reason four points of hp. Sure it's got a lower strength cap he's going to ram pretty quickly, and he's never hitting the higher speed cap, but... a free speedwing is pretty attractive.

Of course that's not really an option for us because heroes don't get bows and therefore suck!

Garcia is here for the bows. Only bows after this, for the rest of the game. I finally have two! bow users!!

Speaking of free speedwings, though...

yeah. If i were any good at Fire Emblem i might have remembered to use this before this map and maybe saved myself a reset! Maybe. But alas i am not and i did not.

And speaking of bad things, i don't understand why this exists. The short bow is so bad! 10% crit is only useful as a "the enemy has crit on you so you're going to get a 1% reset at some point" thing, it's nowhere near enough to be useful on a player unit and the other stats suck and it's so loving expensive.

This was Cormag's. And now, it's 5000 gold.

I bought some staves for the money. And now... on to (*ominous thunder*) that map. (*ominous lightning*)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Oh boy! Think of all the effective damage on fliers you'll get!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, if there's anything to be said for That Map it's that all the enemies fly so oh boy are they going to hate Garcia's new bow.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

And on the bright side, you don't have to keep Dozla alive! :confuoot:

I forgot if you need L'Arachel alive, but you ought to anyway since she's Best Girl.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

1234567890num posted:

And on the bright side, you don't have to keep Dozla alive! :confuoot:

I forgot if you need L'Arachel alive, but you ought to anyway since she's Best Girl.

He doesn't need to but she's another healstaff to help sandbag all the damage being taken by the bow users meatwalls.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Dozla isn't going to be the problem, he's like 8x more durable than L'Arachel, who obviously has to live because how could anyone possibly be satisfied with less??

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Okay these are getting longer and this thread is slow so in the interest of not having like 1000 images on one page even in 20-post mode:

10: This loving Map

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
The adventures of Huge Neimi will go down in song for generations. :allears: She could really use a bit more speed though, she's not as dodgy as you'd expect and that's not helping when you're getting swarmed by dudes you can't counter-kill.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Surprise double update, I really appreciate it!

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

This LP is really good at showing just how bad Ross is.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

theshim posted:

The adventures of Huge Neimi will go down in song for generations. :allears: She could really use a bit more speed though, she's not as dodgy as you'd expect and that's not helping when you're getting swarmed by dudes you can't counter-kill.

Yeah, Huge Neimi is very good. Normally i'd be happy to take str in exchange for spd on her since she already doubles everything, but it is an issue when she's getting surrounded on every side. Future maps will hopefully have a little less of that sort of thing...

Torrannor posted:

Surprise double update, I really appreciate it!

:tipshat: I'll probably keep doing those for the rest of the game.

Dance Officer posted:

And to think he's getting way more experience here than he would in a normal playthrough... :negative:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Re: the Guiding Ring, you do know Natasha can also promote to Valkyrie, right?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

She can, but she's locked to 5 move until then. So even aside from the blatant favouritism i am definitely guilty of, L'Arachel is easier to use.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Dance Officer posted:

That's a yes/no thing. Normally he's supposed to be better than Garcia because he ends up on average faster, which is really the important part. Garcia is bulkier, but not significantly enough to change function that much. It's just that in the LP it's comparing a defense screwed Ross with a defense-blessed Garcia (who also got a Dragonshield, but that's just sensible play to make a wall unit when you can't counter). An additional Ross problem is that he's losing his Berserker advantage due to the LP gimmick.

Edit: On average, Ross is actually supposed to have more defense than Garcia (only 1 point difference but still), even with both as warriors.. He's being further hindered by the fact that Pirate gives +1 spd and def over Warrior, so he should be decently ahead.

What the LP is really demonstrating is just how bad Bows are. Archers are usually stat inferior to their 1 range counterparts (why?) as well as having the archer jail issue that keeps cropping up (albeit Vilk really should just be making fortress clusters with his units in this situation). It's funny to note that if Archers just got a Javelin equivalent, that'd be the smallest way to make them not utter garbage. There's even an appropriately named, currently garbage and zero purpose weapon in the Shortbow for this.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 16, 2020

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ehhh i would not call Ross "better" even if you go berserker. He is only likely to get ahead of Garcia in speed by the time he hits level ~10 pirate. If you use both of them and don't blatantly favour Ross, Garcia will be a few levels ahead at all times and promote sooner, and gets +2 from Hero which will probably have him ahead of Ross again for a while. By pure endgame stats, sure Ross is better (especially if level-capped) but Garcia has him beat for the majority of the game and never has to be babied.

But we are definitely in agreement that bows are utterly goddamn awful, which is why this challenge run is a thing in the first place :v:

(I still think all bows should have 2-3 range by default and 1-2 shortbow would at least justify its ridiculous cost.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't think I've seen a Garcia that determined to let people shatter weapons against his chest