Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

vilkacis posted:

Ehhh i would not call Ross "better" even if you go berserker. He is only likely to get ahead of Garcia in speed by the time he hits level ~10 pirate. If you use both of them and don't blatantly favour Ross, Garcia will be a few levels ahead at all times and promote sooner, and gets +2 from Hero which will probably have him ahead of Ross again for a while. By pure endgame stats, sure Ross is better (especially if level-capped) but Garcia has him beat for the majority of the game and never has to be babied.

But we are definitely in agreement that bows are utterly goddamn awful, which is why this challenge run is a thing in the first place :v:

(I still think all bows should have 2-3 range by default and 1-2 shortbow would at least justify its ridiculous cost.)

Yeah, but you're ignoring ross getting +30 crit on promotion. That's a pretty hefty strength. Berserkers are the best, even lackluster ones like ross.

And yeah, it's kind of amazing that it took them over a dozen games to make bows not trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Yeah, Huge Neimi is very good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Yeah, but you're ignoring ross getting +30 crit on promotion. That's a pretty hefty strength. Berserkers are the best, even lackluster ones like ross.

I'm not sure it throws the balance that much. The crit is nice, of course, but it's too uncertain to rely on by itself, and Ross is strong and has axes so he'll most likely kill things he can double anyway. It becomes fairly reliable by the time you have killer axes, but that's fairly late in the game (and at that point your good units are probably strong enough to steamroll with just iron anyway).

:five::five::five::five::five:

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

FoolyCharged posted:

Berserkers are the best, even lackluster ones like ross.

Counterpoint - Dozla.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

TravelLog posted:

Counterpoint - Dozla.

But Dozla is amazing.

and also a terrible unit

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Going Journeyman - Pirate - Berserker gives a total of +2 speed promotion, same as Warrior - Hero.

I won't argue that he does take a bit of favoritism to get going, and ultimately likely isn't that great because of that. The big sinker is that it takes the extra work to be somewhat comparative to Garcia, and Garcia isn't actually a great unit. They get poo poo on by the lords and saviors of the cavalry brigade. I don't know why they decided that Fighters in the GBA series are always inferior overall honestly.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Combination of residual Kaga and overvaluing the power of axes when designing characters I suspect. I don't know why you would, they're not that much stronger than other weapons considering their accuracy and their usual user's poo poo speed/skill, but there it is.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Look he's even called the Great Garcia how can you possibly say he's not a great unit :colbert:

...buuut yeah if you start comparing them to cavs, they're pretty solidly outclassed. Of course, the proper way to Fire Emblem is to use whatever units you hecking want and ignore the power level discussion entirely

<- not a colossal hypocrite!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I WILL SAVESTATE ABUSE WALLACE TO GODHOOD AND YOU CAN'T STOP ME

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Why would i ever want to stop you :confused:

Wallace owns :hai:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Broke: Stealing Wallace's knight crest and power leveling Kent/Sain instead

Woke: Power leveling Wallace and then using the knight crest on him

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Like Clockwork posted:

Combination of residual Kaga and overvaluing the power of axes when designing characters I suspect. I don't know why you would, they're not that much stronger than other weapons considering their accuracy and their usual user's poo poo speed/skill, but there it is.

The odd thing is that they're almost justified if you look at the future Fire Emblems immediately after the GBA ones. Go to Fire Emblem 9, every cavalier that promotes to Paladin is best off grabbing an axe on promotion (though that's partially due to lack of competition due to there being 2 infantry axe units period in that game...). Fire Emblem 10 FINALLY has the warriors actually not suck, and axes have a field day there too with swords being poo poo tier of the melee weapons.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

vilkacis posted:

Why would i ever want to stop you :confused:

Wallace owns :hai:

I WAS USING "YOU" IN THE GENERAL SENSE, NOT MEANING YOU IN PARTICULAR BECAUSE THERE ARE THOSE WHO WOULD SHAME ME FOR CREATING THE ONE TRUE GOD OF FIRE EMBLEM

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Keldulas posted:

The odd thing is that they're almost justified if you look at the future Fire Emblems immediately after the GBA ones. Go to Fire Emblem 9, every cavalier that promotes to Paladin is best off grabbing an axe on promotion (though that's partially due to lack of competition due to there being 2 infantry axe units period in that game...). Fire Emblem 10 FINALLY has the warriors actually not suck, and axes have a field day there too with swords being poo poo tier of the melee weapons.

But boyd is really good in fe9?

He suffers from no horse, but hes a beast that tramples the early game and still puts out late game.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Boyd is also a part of the second useful Triangle Attack in FE (the first being FE6 in that one map).

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

But boyd is really good in fe9?

He suffers from no horse, but hes a beast that tramples the early game and still puts out late game.

Boyd is inconsistent in FE9, he's good, yes, but his speed/defense can lag sometimes if you're unlucky, which can be fatal for his usability.

That wasn't actually my point though, my point is that cavs aside, Boyd is the only axe user for a significant part of the game. Swords have Ike and all the myrmidons, lances have the flyers in addition to Nephenee. So if Boyd gets RNG-screwed, then you literally don't have an axe user that isn't a cav.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

FoolyCharged posted:

But Dozla is amazing.

and also a terrible unit

This is just plain wrong.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I have never had a decent Boyd, much less a good one. :mad:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

theshim posted:

I have never had a decent Boyd, much less a good one. :mad:

That's not uncommon. His speed/defense growths are borderline enough that if they don't pull through, he ends up lovely.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Broke: Stealing Wallace's knight crest and power leveling Kent/Sain instead

Woke: Power leveling Wallace and then using the knight crest on him

:hmmyes:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I WAS USING "YOU" IN THE GENERAL SENSE, NOT MEANING YOU IN PARTICULAR BECAUSE THERE ARE THOSE WHO WOULD SHAME ME FOR CREATING THE ONE TRUE GOD OF FIRE EMBLEM

who dares

i will fight them

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

11: Strung out

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Bitches level everyone up to 20 in the tower then hack in Master Seals and start the route with everyone at 20/1.

It's me. I'm bitches

But I only did it once

Per route

Then again to check out the Super Recruits

And I regret nothing

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You're bitches?

...am i understanding this right if i'm picturing you as like three dogs in a trench coat or...

(also yes, any amount of bullshit to get the recruits going is Officially Allowed)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

vilkacis posted:

You're bitches?

...am i understanding this right if i'm picturing you as like three dogs in a trench coat or...

Four, but yes. One operates each limb. With a raccoon for my head

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Vilk, if you're still hankering for FE 8 after this LP, I recommend the Sacred War hack. It's a balance/difficulty hack that does a lot of interesting things. It completely revises many of the maps, tweaks items and includes some new ones specific to certain classes changes growths and base stats, revises the promotion tree a little bit so the Trainees can have their Super option right away with further promotion possibilities (if you go Trainee-->Trainee for Amelia you can then promote her a second time to either Paladin or Dragon Lord!) and gives each class an inherent ability.*

Most of the changes are great in my opinion, especially the change to buff weapon uses, average 30-50 (including the regalia!) and better post-game. That said, it isn't all upside and some of the changes are for the worse (sages are buffed while leaving Mage Knights with only minimal tweaks to compensate, bows are still significantly worse than other weapon classes, for some unknown reason they implemented FE 4-style fixed weapon ranks based on the user's class, etc.).

Still though, it would make for a very interesting LP with your signature flair.

* The most hilarious is for the Ranger, who gets auto-Vantage (i.e. they always attack first).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Four, but yes. One operates each limb. With a raccoon for my head

Bitchin'.

I saw the thread for that on FEU but it didn't really wow me. I didn't dig too deep but a lot of it just felt like changes made for the sake of making changes? I think it occupies a weird niche where it's not really Sacred Stones enough to properly scratch an FE8 itch but it's also not original enough to be a satisfying not-FE8 option.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I don't know why I keep watching these considering how painful it is to watch someone force themselves to do nothing but Bows.

It is if nothing else a demonstration of how softball the entire game is that you can cut your offensive power down to only the characters who can only use the worst physical option in the game and still be mostly fine (if slow) in doing so.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

^You could at least say it's because you think i'm cool and funny :saddowns:

12: Archer Emblem

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I love Gerik. He starts off with great stats, has the growths to make them even better, and he's a looker

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

...In retrospect, as much as Eirika's route might have made more sense, it would have meant leaving Ephraim's squad completely defenseless for the desert map, so maybe you actually made the right choice?

I assume the reason not to promote the lords has to do with them being harder to rescue now.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I presume the devs put nidhog so late because Garcia needs time to s rank bows.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love Gerik. He starts off with great stats, has the growths to make them even better, and he's a looker

And a generally chill and cool dude, if i'm remembering his supports right!

Cattail Prophet posted:

...In retrospect, as much as Eirika's route might have made more sense, it would have meant leaving Ephraim's squad completely defenseless for the desert map, so maybe you actually made the right choice?

Of course i made the right choice :colbert:

Ephraim spawns in with Duessel and... Knoll, right? Duessel can probably rescue Ephraim and sit on a fort more or less invincible, and Knoll can run across the desert, so i don't think you'd be in too much danger.

quote:

I assume the reason not to promote the lords has to do with them being harder to rescue now.

Hm, i guess that would be a second reason, but at the same time they become much more capable of rescuing other people. The reason i'm thinking of is much dumber and is coming up next time.

FoolyCharged posted:

I presume the devs put nidhog so late because Garcia needs time to s rank bows.

He might put in more effort if he know what he was working towards, though!

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

As bad as your Moulder is, at least he's better than Natasha :j:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

With him having six levels and a promotion boost on her, sure, but...

If i could have promoted her at the point where i benched her, she'd only be one point of magic behind him, but also +1 movement from valkyrie (and the other stats barely matter, i guess she couldn't tank as well as him, for the ~2 times that has been relevant, but on the other hand she'd have better res already.)

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Welp. At least you're not screwed when it comes to characters who actually matter! :buddy:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I'm very much enjoying Neimi Emblem, with Special Guest L'Arachel.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

13: Finally, Nidhogg

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
l'egg

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Such an innovative LP. You found a use for Innes AND Syrene!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Well let's not go too far overboard. I'm barely going to find any use for Syrene :j:

Fibsh.