Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Your Ross is among the worst I have ever seen (he tends to turn out godly in my games). Could this be punishment for not making him a pirate? Only time will tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Berserkers are the best, even lackluster ones like ross.

Counterpoint - Dozla.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Vilk, if you're still hankering for FE 8 after this LP, I recommend the Sacred War hack. It's a balance/difficulty hack that does a lot of interesting things. It completely revises many of the maps, tweaks items and includes some new ones specific to certain classes changes growths and base stats, revises the promotion tree a little bit so the Trainees can have their Super option right away with further promotion possibilities (if you go Trainee-->Trainee for Amelia you can then promote her a second time to either Paladin or Dragon Lord!) and gives each class an inherent ability.*

Most of the changes are great in my opinion, especially the change to buff weapon uses, average 30-50 (including the regalia!) and better post-game. That said, it isn't all upside and some of the changes are for the worse (sages are buffed while leaving Mage Knights with only minimal tweaks to compensate, bows are still significantly worse than other weapon classes, for some unknown reason they implemented FE 4-style fixed weapon ranks based on the user's class, etc.).

Still though, it would make for a very interesting LP with your signature flair.

* The most hilarious is for the Ranger, who gets auto-Vantage (i.e. they always attack first).

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

TheMcD posted:

Things continue to escalate in the Rausten chapter. The hack increased the number of turns to survive, and while I dilligently scouted the map with Torch usage, I could not find Riev anywhere on the map. I can only presume he spawns in later.

It is at this point I realize something: Playing this normally or proactively isn't going to cut it. You need to turtle like a motherfucker. The enemy numbers and levels are such that if you're out there, you're very quickly in risk of losing someone, even if they're at full HP. The unit buildup is just too ridiculous to keep on top of unless you've grinded units up to keep pace.

Re: the Duessal chapter. Did you bait Cormag with Vanessa/Tana in the middle area where there aren't too many enemies? That was how I got him to join fairly early in the turn count.

Re: Riev, he spawns into the upper left corner of the map some amount of turns in (I can't remember). Funnily enough we also seem to have played that chapter very differently - I split into three teams. One went east and blocked in the spawns on that side (I think it was Gerik, Neimi, Tethys and Ross?) while Colm started looting. One group stayed in the west-middle area (including L'Arachel to rescue Colm so he could get all the chests before the map ended), while I had Joshua, Tana, Cormag, Ephraim and I think Lute as a Mage Knight go North and then swing east to kill the enemies in that direction. There is also a secret shop in the lower-left corner to get.

What made things a lot easier was around Chapter 7 or 8 when realized I should stop using Iron weapons entirely as they are simply not worth it anymore (the same thing happened somewhat later with Steel weapons). You can afford to be a lot freer with better/more expensive weapons due to the revised economy and that made a huge difference in results for me. Light grinding of Valni 1 was also a must whenever a new unit joined that was underleveled (ugh, Ewan!).

That said, I'm doing Lagdou now and it has become much more of a slog than the main game, which I quite enjoyed - will probably finish it then call it quits without doing the additional third dungeon. I am on Map 5 but will need to wait for the weekend to play due to work. Will be giving the Sacred Trilogy a go thereafter.

TravelLog fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jul 21, 2020

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Kinda reminds me of the Final Fantasy X superbosses where they decided bigger numbers = challenge. Oddly, Final Fantasy X-2 did their superbosses much better.

Are the postgame maps at least interesting?

I hated this so drat much about FFX Remastered. Dark Valefor is almost reasonable to beat with not too much grinding after the main story and sidequests, but from there the Dark Aeons ramp up so much that you basically can either just die when fighting them, or grind out the entire sphere grid for at least three party members and rely on Break Damage Limit Attack Reels from Wakka from beginning to end with no real variation in strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

Vilk, I don’t know if you’re a Banjo Kazooie person, but an amazing hack of it just came out if so: “Banjo Kazooie: The Jiggies of Time”.

https://n64today.com/2020/07/25/banjo-kazooie-jiggies-of-time/

It’s pretty insane what dedicated people can create in their spare time.