Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I've successfully dealt with the unwanted biting/scratching thing. Loud exclaimation of unhappiness + shunning works very well. But it only works if you're achingly consistent. Any time the cat hurts you or is too rough, just yell/squeek/whatever, put the cat down and refuse to interact with it for a few minutes. The older the cat, the longer the training will take. Kittens learn this naturally as they grow. It sounds like your cat was just poorly socialized and so it didn't learn. It's not going to be fun but eventually if you're extremely consistent your cat will learn. It will also help to get your cat a companion that is ideally the same age/size. They'll teach each other that way. It will be a lot easier and less bloody for you.

Your cat is currently at peak rear end in a top hat kitten stage. All kittens are complete assholes at that age unless they have a buddy to blow off energy with. This is why people always say to get 2 kittens, not 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
It's pretty normal behavior for solitary kittens of that age. As for me, I've been through it a few times. Between the pet kitties I've had in my life and the kittens I've fostered, it's just a thing. I'm sorry it turned out to be too much for you. If you adopt a cat that's 2 years or older, you can completely bypass the entire issue. That might be best if you're looking for a solitary cat. All the cuddles, none of the attitude.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
Wow. That's really awful. I'm sorry. If it were me, I'd just do the drive. Make sure to put a harness on the cat, get a smaller litterbox that's made for the floor of the backseat and drive like a freaking madman. You could probably manage 3 days there, 3 days back without killing yourself. Or you could get a personal compartment on the train so you don't have to share breathing space with anyone. Safer than flying, easier than driving.