Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Besides, Lady is a good girl, yes she is and would never do anything bad like commit murder! Taking things without permission to play with them though? Absolutely allowed under the Model Rules of Caninethical Conduct :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Thieving.

Do Crimes, But Mostly Property Crimes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Voting for MURDER.

Communications skill does influence shop prices, but most vendors have a pretty small spread and you can't push buy/sell prices past each other, so it doesn't take much to cap out most vendors (and IIRC there are at least 1 or 2 that start out buying and selling at 100% regardless of skill.) I think there may be a few bits of dialogue that are gated by Communication but they're very minor and incidental.

The main difference between multiclassing in Wiz 8 and multiclassing in previous Wizardry games is that multiclassing does not reset your experience requirements, so you can't power level through a new class to pick up more stuff. If you take a level 10 mage and decide you want to cross-class into a level 1 priest instead of taking level 11 as a mage, it will take you just as much xp to get to level 2 priest as it would to get to level 12 mage. Consequently there just aren't a lot of cases where it makes any sense to gently caress with multiclassing since you tend to get more goodies at high level than at low level and it costs the same either way. Occasionally you might switch a support-only caster into a beefier class if you've got all the support spells you care about, maybe, but if you actually care about attack spells you'll need to keep leveling your current class to keep up.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I take exception to the implication that you can't be both Thieving AND Virtuous. Save the world by putting its contents directly into your pockets.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

EclecticTastes posted:

I take exception to the implication that you can't be both Thieving AND Virtuous. Save the world by putting its contents directly into your pockets.

It's the Hero Tax.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Black Robe posted:

It's the Hero Tax.

Yeah, and it's not like you can't strive to be kindly and heroic in terms of quest resolution while robbing everyone blind. It's called "being a JRPG protagonist".

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Straight White Shark posted:

The main difference between multiclassing in Wiz 8 and multiclassing in previous Wizardry games is that multiclassing does not reset your experience requirements, so you can't power level through a new class to pick up more stuff. If you take a level 10 mage and decide you want to cross-class into a level 1 priest instead of taking level 11 as a mage, it will take you just as much xp to get to level 2 priest as it would to get to level 12 mage. Consequently there just aren't a lot of cases where it makes any sense to gently caress with multiclassing since you tend to get more goodies at high level than at low level and it costs the same either way. Occasionally you might switch a support-only caster into a beefier class if you've got all the support spells you care about, maybe, but if you actually care about attack spells you'll need to keep leveling your current class to keep up.

Another big difference is also that Wizardry 8 multiclassing doesn't reset your stats to the minimum required for the class you multiclass to, so swapping to a less-demanding class doesn't gently caress your base stats sideways.

Also surprised there's only one vote for MURDER so far!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Make it two. MURDER!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I'm all for thieving. Look we're here to save the universe, or something. The least the locals can do is help us out financially.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

If they didn’t want us to steal everything, they’d have nailed it down used stronger nails.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Do a murder. I feel like there are no downsides?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Chatrapati posted:

Do a murder. I feel like there are no downsides?

Downsides: You might feel slightly guilty for stabbing a squirrel wearing pants.

Other downsides: I will probably spend a while swearing at the game until I manage to stick Burz with some crippling conditions because he hits like a truck at our current level.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You should never feel guilty for stabbing a squirrel.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Regardless of the votes here please show us how a large bipedal squirrel clowns on a whole party of adventurers.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm voting thieving, just because that options seems to have the most votes right now and I don't want murder to win.

That said, the hall with the coffins also has a one-time full heal for your party if you drink the water. I don't know if you missed this or just forgot to mention it.

Re: Gregor. That absolute fucker. The first time I beat that thing was when I accidentally learned that you could paralyze it. Then in my current game I tried running away to gain another level elsewhere, but managed to get trapped by Gregor. Then I won anyway, because I made its skin itchy. So yeah, that status also works on Gregor.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Libluini posted:

That said, the hall with the coffins also has a one-time full heal for your party if you drink the water. I don't know if you missed this or just forgot to mention it.

I believe I mentioned that, I just arrived fully-healed already so I didn't get any mileage out of it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Libluini posted:

I'm voting thieving, just because that options seems to have the most votes right now and I don't want murder to win.

Re: Gregor. That absolute fucker. The first time I beat that thing was when I accidentally learned that you could paralyze it. Then in my current game I tried running away to gain another level elsewhere, but managed to get trapped by Gregor. Then I won anyway, because I made its skin itchy. So yeah, that status also works on Gregor.

You can blind him, too, which neuters his damage. I came to Wizardry 8 from the previous games, and status conditions are always really good in these games.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I tried this game a year or two ago and made it to some tree city before losing my patience with it. now i can't because it doesnt work with the newest mac OS so good luck have fun i guess my story has no point.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

I tried this game a year or two ago and made it to some tree city before losing my patience with it. now i can't because it doesnt work with the newest mac OS so good luck have fun i guess my story has no point.

Have you tried the Steam version? My own original CD went the way of the Dodo years ago and I took the chance when Wiz8 was on sale some time ago.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I played a bit of this some 5-10 years ago. But I don't remember that monastery. I never had a save to load but I remember I think starting off as prisoners in some kind of tower?

The game feels pretty cool but it's very unforgiving with its challenge to someone who doesn't know the systems.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So, a fun thing about this game:

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant was like a 100-200 hour campaign. It takes FOREVER and is absurdly hard and frankly I have no idea how anyone ever completed it without the hint guide that came with the remastered (and objectively worse; it broke a lot of things) version of the game, Wizardry Gold.

As the OP points out, your starting zone in Wiz8 depends on what ending you got in Wiz7. At the end of Wiz7, the Dark Savant has captured Vi Domina--an NPC, and is basically like "Hey, give me the plot device or I will kill this woman!"

And you can give it to him, at which point he laughs maniacally and disappears, ending the game. And that'd be a viable import into Wiz8.

Or you can say basically "I'm not negotiating with terrorists and giving you the plot device which you can then use to rule the world." At which point he gets mad, snaps his fingers, and throws you into the negative zone. That ALSO gives you a save file that you can import.

Now, again: Wiz7 is an ABSURDLY long game. And it also came out like 7-8 years before Wizardry 8 did. Wiz8 had some terrible developmental delays as SirTech foundered and ran out of money--you see evidence of that like in the "your computer sucks" exit screen that someone else posted. The studio was clearly hard up for cash trying to get this game out the door.

But think back to the mid-90s (Wiz7) and early 2000s (Wiz8). There was not really a cloud to stick your savegames on. Your save games were either on your hard drive (which was unlikely to be the same HD you'd play with for Wiz8; 8 years is a long time to not get a new computer) or on your floppy disk--and by early 2000s there was a good chance you didn't have a floppy drive.

So getting ANY savegame from Wiz7 into Wiz8 would've been a minor miracle given the changes in technology and the significant chunk of time between the games.

I went back to my parents' house one summer during college and found the old computer I'd used when I was a teenager. Opened the thing up, took out the HD, eventually was able to grab my Wiz7 savefile so I could get it onto the computer I was using for Wiz8.

Imported into Wiz8 only to get "hey dingus, you're floating around in the void. Guess you should have traded the plot device to the Dark Savant, huh?" and then kicked back to the main menu.

8 years, and a ton of work, only for the game to just absolutely kick me in the teeth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is one masterful troll, perfectly executed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:vince:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Libluini posted:

Have you tried the Steam version? My own original CD went the way of the Dodo years ago and I took the chance when Wiz8 was on sale some time ago.

I have the steam version. MacOS Catalina or whatever apparently can't play things that aren't whatever-bit (64? idk). It's weird and alien to me.

edit behold:

Ramc fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 13, 2020

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's not an RPG unless we steal everything that isn't nailed down. I would avoid pickpocketing NPCs however because it never works. Also, no dedicated healer? Oof.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

wafflemoose posted:

It's not an RPG unless we steal everything that isn't nailed down. I would avoid pickpocketing NPCs however because it never works. Also, no dedicated healer? Oof.

Pickpocketing does work but you have to train it up on really blind NPCs first. There's some good stuff that you can only get by pickpocketing, and some others that you get way earlier than you're "supposed to".

Also yes, lack of an actual healer is going to suck for a while. This is a late-bloomer party.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

FairGame posted:

So getting ANY savegame from Wiz7 into Wiz8 would've been a minor miracle given the changes in technology and the significant chunk of time between the games.

I remember SirTech kind of acknowledging this though, there's a section in the manual on importing and it's like "If you're interested in this, you've been waiting a long time. Thank you." Which is kinda cool of them.

Also you're attempting to become gods and you don't accomplish something like that without stepping on everyone else's neck so murder this man.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Thieving of course. Are we not playing a RPG?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There are also some real weird stories about the development of this game, where for whatever reason there were a bunch of animated genitalia monsters. I don’t know if I believe it, but there’s an area MUCH later in this game that kinda makes me inclined to.

It’s such a treasure of a game, but it was the last gasp of a dying company and some WEIRD stuff clearly happened.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

There are also some real weird stories about the development of this game, where for whatever reason there were a bunch of animated genitalia monsters. I don’t know if I believe it, but there’s an area MUCH later in this game that kinda makes me inclined to.

It’s such a treasure of a game, but it was the last gasp of a dying company and some WEIRD stuff clearly happened.

:stare:

I've never heard of this but Brenda Brathwaite is batshit enough that I'd believe it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FairGame posted:

As far as I'm aware there are no options to fight any Colossal Stone Genitalia in Wizardry 8, but seeing as how this is an early 00's RPG, you can expect that one part of the game will get mildly horny.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PurpleXVI posted:

As far as I'm aware there are no options to fight any Colossal Stone Genitalia in Wizardry 8, but seeing as how this is an early 00's RPG, you can expect that one part of the game will get mildly horny.

It's D. W. Bradley. I think every single game of his had voluptuous women NPCs or enemies with their tits out.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't have an RPG Codex account, but this kind of alludes to what I heard:

https://grimdarkly.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/greatest-thread-of-all-time-gets-more-great-i-er/

(I did an LP of this game like 10 years ago and someone brought it up then. Was news to me at the time but kind of made sense since they brought it up when I was in That One Area)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FairGame posted:

I don't have an RPG Codex account, but this kind of alludes to what I heard:

https://grimdarkly.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/greatest-thread-of-all-time-gets-more-great-i-er/

(I did an LP of this game like 10 years ago and someone brought it up then. Was news to me at the time but kind of made sense since they brought it up when I was in That One Area)

I think that thread is just gone to the ether. I found some of the guy's other ramblings and he's just a fuckin loon, but there's probably a grain of truth behind it all.

EDIT: Ok, so from what I can gather the short version is that penis monsters never had anything to do with the game that was released as Wizardry 8. In between Wiz7 and Wiz8 Sir-Tech contracted with a 3rd party shop in Australia to produce a sequel to Wiz 7. The principal coder claims that he used his superior northern European genes to singlehandedly produce the greatest sequel to the greatest cRPG series ever made despite the sex crazed antics of the (insert various LGBT slurs here) that comprised the rest of the team, only to have Sir-Tech pull the plug because they were afraid of his northern European game design prowess. Someone posted some concept art they had found from an auction of Sir-Tech's assets depicting some monsters that were somewhat suggestive in a vague, Gigeresque sort of way, giving a veneer of truth to some of the guy's claims. Other claims, such as the harem of underage sex slaves the project leader supposedly had (for he was gay, you see) remain uncorroborated.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 14, 2020

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Straight White Shark posted:

I think that thread is just gone to the ether. I found some of the guy's other ramblings and he's just a fuckin loon, but there's probably a grain of truth behind it all.

EDIT: Ok, so from what I can gather the short version is that penis monsters never had anything to do with the game that was released as Wizardry 8. In between Wiz7 and Wiz8 Sir-Tech contracted with a 3rd party shop in Australia to produce a sequel to Wiz 7. The principal coder claims that he used his superior northern European genes to singlehandedly produce the greatest sequel to the greatest cRPG series ever made despite the sex crazed antics of the (insert various LGBT slurs here) that comprised the rest of the team, only to have Sir-Tech pull the plug because they were afraid of his northern European game design prowess. Someone posted some concept art they had found from an auction of Sir-Tech's assets depicting some monsters that were somewhat suggestive in a vague, Gigeresque sort of way, giving a veneer of truth to some of the guy's claims. Other claims, such as the harem of underage sex slaves the project leader supposedly had (for he was gay, you see) remain uncorroborated.

It's worth noting that Cleve Blakemore is every kind of virulent bigot under the sun and one costume change away from just being an out-and-proud Nazi, and was only brought onto the old Wizardry 8 project as a consultant midway through an already-troubled development cycle. After his resignation, he took twenty years to make a Wizardry knock-off entirely by himself (having burned all of his professional bridges publicly badmouthing a former employer), and it was mediocre even by 1997 standards. So, even the stuff that seems to have a kernel of truth to it is most likely wildly misrepresented at best, and his game design skills are as uncorroborated as anything else he claimed.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I think thieving is the best way to go. Killing everyone is a bit dull 'cause you don't get to interact with the cool NPCs as much, but thieving is cool because you get all the cool stuff.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

EclecticTastes posted:

It's worth noting that Cleve Blakemore is every kind of virulent bigot under the sun and one costume change away from just being an out-and-proud Nazi, and was only brought onto the old Wizardry 8 project as a consultant midway through an already-troubled development cycle. After his resignation, he took twenty years to make a Wizardry knock-off entirely by himself (having burned all of his professional bridges publicly badmouthing a former employer), and it was mediocre even by 1997 standards. So, even the stuff that seems to have a kernel of truth to it is most likely wildly misrepresented at best, and his game design skills are as uncorroborated as anything else he claimed.

Welp, gently caress that guy then. Enough weird derailing of what will probably be an awesome LP of an awesome, though flawed, game.

PS: go thievery.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

FairGame posted:

Welp, gently caress that guy then. Enough weird derailing of what will probably be an awesome LP of an awesome, though flawed, game.

PS: go thievery.

Weird derails are honestly welcome as long as they're interesting and no one gets in a fight over them, especially if they're related to the game, the developer, the series, etc. in a way that adds facts we might otherwise not have.

Also new update probably incoming within 24 hours.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Weird derails are honestly welcome as long as they're interesting and no one gets in a fight over them, especially if they're related to the game, the developer, the series, etc. in a way that adds facts we might otherwise not have.

Also new update probably incoming within 24 hours.

A possibly more fun topic is the behind-the-scenes battle that took place to get the current Wizardry 8 published. You see, the Sir-Tech that published most of the Wizardry series, and failed to develop Wizardry 8 once before, did not, in fact, develop this one. This one was made by Sir-Tech Canada, a company formed following the shuttering of the original Sir-Tech, seemingly set up entirely to finish this one game, as it collapsed shortly thereafter. And with their dying breath, Sir-Tech signed over unlimited rights to Wizardry to a Japanese company, in response to the franchise's wild popularity over there. But, it gets better, in that signing away the IP was likely done specifically to spite Electronic Arts, who allegedly pulled a lot of strings to gently caress over Sir-Tech as much as possible in order to prevent the successful release of Wizardry 8 and force them into a buyout so EA could acquire the Wizardry license (essentially doing to Sir-Tech what they'd previously done to Origin Systems). Of course, while Sir-Tech was forced into insolvency, EA failed to prevent Wizardry 8 from being released, and the IP was sold to a company that would actually use it well, so, like Ultima VII, Wiz8 (and all the Japanese entries) exists in large part as a giant "gently caress you" to EA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

EclecticTastes posted:

But, it gets better, in that signing away the IP was likely done specifically to spite Electronic Arts, who allegedly pulled a lot of strings to gently caress over Sir-Tech as much as possible in order to prevent the successful release of Wizardry 8 and force them into a buyout so EA could acquire the Wizardry license (essentially doing to Sir-Tech what they'd previously done to Origin Systems).

Huh, suddenly Wiz8's mysterious difficulty finding a publisher makes a lot more sense. Guess it's not really much of a surprise though.