Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I have such fond memories of Wizardry 8. I struggled through the demo back in the day, which was super rough between the difficulty (Gregor!) and the fact that my computer's on board graphics weren't beefy enough to be running the thing. I ended up having to buy my first graphics card when I got the full version, but it was so so worth it.

And like everyone else, my first party got murdered again and again on the road to Arnika before I learned to hug the walls and run for my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Straight White Shark posted:

The only two that I remember are Sirius (an endgame shuriken only usable by rawulfs) and the Killeidoscope (an upgraded version of one of the gadgets.) There were plenty more for sure, though.

Sirius the dog throwing star is amazing.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Ah, Antone. Before they nerfed it into the ground, you used to be able to pick pocket some great gear from him with a little save scumming.

Also, I hope you’re using Wizfast to speed up some of these multi-party combats!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Libluini posted:

By the way, is the Steam-version running Wizfast, or do I still need that? It seems like the game runs faster (including the battles) than I remember, but that could just be the influence of having a non-ancient computer.

Looking at the Steam forums, it seems that people are still using it since it's not part of the base game. Googling also shows a variety of other ways to speed up the game, but it largely seems to be cutting out animation frames from all the monsters.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
CHOICES

Rattus Rattus: Don't do the job

The Rattkin: Destroy breeders now if you want, don't kill Don until after he gets us the Astral Dominae

Next Update: Go east to Marten's Bluff

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Speaking of voices, on one of my playthroughs I had the female new age voice drop a pretty big hint about some endgame stuff when the Dark Savant popped up and threw the fake astral dominae at the party. It was one of those things that probably don't mean anything on a first playthrough, but is a pretty big "woah" moment on a 2nd time through.

It's little touches like that that really endears this game to me.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I always roll with Vi and RFS. I am impressed that you got through the Sorceress fight; that thing kicked my teeth in when I originally ran across it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The underwater section fills me with dread even after all this time. I remember hitting some nasty (and one VERY nasty) encounters down there.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
My first time through I ran head-first into Nessie, then right into the middle of the Bayjin camp. That was not a good time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
My first time through the Castle, I ended up hunkering down in the smithy and just camping until most of the wandering patrols walked into me.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kacie posted:

I've forgotten why we're visiting the Rapax in the first place. If we have all three Dominae, why can't we march up Ascension Peak like we did earlier? (Thanks, I'm sure this was explained earlier.)

Right now we've got everything we need to go to Ascension Peak, but there are 2 problems: 1) the Dark Savant has a huge bomb in Arnika that he's threatened to use if anyone but him tries to ascend and 2) the Rapax themselves have closed off the peak.

We don't have any leads on the bomb, other than that we've been told a couple times that the Dark Savant has allied with the Rapax. Since we can't visit the Savant, our only real option is to poke around the Rapax's place. Plus the game is railroading you there anyway, outside of people on subsequent playthroughs trying to cleverly sequence break.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

No, I did not. I just talked about it and how you could do it, but that it would be skipping content, which we aren't doing for this LP. :v:

I also don't think anything ever indicates that the path to disarming the bomb is in the Rapax Castle except that the Rapax and Savant announce they have an alliance. Also the scope of the bomb varies from who you talk to, sometimes it's described as blowing up Arnika, in other cases as blowing up the planet. The latter is cooler, but also makes less sense because then the Savant blows up his own path to Ascension. I've also never actually tried to walk up the Peak without disarming the bomb first, so I may set the necessary portals to easily hop back and disarm it, and then try sauntering up the Peak to see what happens.

You definitely need to show it off; it does count as an ending after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Originally at the end of Wizardry 6. :v: I don't believe her re-occurs at all in 7. And then he pops back in one of the early updates where I visit the Mountain Wilderness after dropping by the Umpani base camp.

He's in the intro to Wizardry 7 if you import a party from 6.

As for Vi, she does get lines in the Cosmic Circle in response to the Savant, but it can be largely summarized as "you bastard, that's why you stole my eye?" and "he's phoonzang?!". Still I always end up bringing her, because if anyone deserves to kick the Savant's rear end it is her.

I'm voting Wizard's and Warriors for the next game, just because I always wanted to try it when I was younger but never did.