Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I really need to pay more attention to the LP forum, can't believe I missed this one for so long.

Anyways, very late, but that Poseur's Cap aaaalll the way back in the Monastery isn't for cross-class characters, it's to give parties without a lockpicking class just enough skill in it to muddle through low-end locked doors so they don't get stuck before things like Knock and Knock Picks come on-line(or someone with max Strength to very patiently bash doors until the 1% chance finally kicked in and they opened).

I was sorta there for the retro dungeon thing, but only on the sidelines; from what I can recall people were driving themselves up the wall because they kept trying high-level end-game items, and... I don't recall if one of the devs popped in with another clue, or if someone just tried it on a whim, but once the first unlock was found the rest didn't take that long.

The very first time I played through the game, I got the *LIGHT* *SWORD* out of the Good Chest. It wasn't until later that I learned that it was a 2% drop. Needless to say, I've never seen another one, not from the chest nor the ghosts(which, if memory serves, also have the drop rate set at 2%, though whether it's 2% for the sword or 2% for the Wiz 7 Helazoid Vault drop table, I don't know). A Fighter with the sword mulches just about everything, and other classes aren't too shabby with it either.

Oh, and from what I can recall, Ascension Peak doesn't actually get the blockage until you enter the area with at least one of the three plot items; though maybe talking to He'li with two items counts? I dunno. Fortunately, the Barrows is right nearby, so you can pop by and drop them off in one of the chests to drop a portal first if you want to bypass a certain bit of the game. You still need to go into Rapax lands to take care of something else, but the unsavory bit is skippable(ask me how I soft-locked my first solo run!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I'll note that the intended route is to into the caste, do a certain quest in there, then double back to punch-splode Al-Sedexus to tie up loose ends.

The less efficient but more satisfying way is to mop the floor with her on the way in, skip the quest because ew, paint the castle's interior red as a consequence of skipping the quest, and then bug out and never return once you've wrapped up the other objective.

Well, never go back if you're running solo; a party might want to drop a portal by the smith.

As for obtuse mechanics, I'm still not entirely sure how Stealth checks work(Straight roll? Opposed vs. enemy Perception?), but however it shakes down it's disgustingly overpowered.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

I mean agreed, but for an LP I feel like I should be showing off content rather than skipping it. So fun as it would be... we'll have to get out even more censor bars.

I just felt like mentioning it for posterity's sake.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Pretty sure it's blocked off the moment you enter with even one of them, but yeah, if you don't take one of the workarounds you need to use the portal you get access to once you complete that quest.

The bomb, meanwhile, involves a completely different part of the castle; so while you still have to go to the castle, you don't have to interact with the other bits if you don't feel like it.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
So! Some notes.

Killing Al-Sedexus before ever hitting the castle will not soft lock you, from what I recall hearing. I remember being told that the initiation would play out as normal, but the whole Hex thing would never actually happen.

The door guard who takes the password is completely untouchable. Won't engage in combat, can't be targeted, etc. I believe the other door guard is the same, but it's been ages.

The door guard will also not accept the password unless that other guy gives it to you first. If you happen to, say, start combat, run over to the password giver so his proximity conversation trigger doesn't activate, and make his insides his outsides so you can't ever get the password from him, then you'll have softlocked yourself if you don't already have a portal to the Peak set up.

I want to say that the deposit slip items aren't fixed, and that one of the possible items is the best Samurai-exclusive sword in the game, but I generally always got the Bo.

Speaking of which, it's the best Monk weapon by a mile outside of a solo run. In a solo run, you get to make waaaaaay more skill progress than you ever could in a party, and very high level Unarmed is kind of bonkers. Not quite *LIGHT* *SWORD* Warrior-level bonkers, but still very very respectable.

Speaking of solo runs, Stealth is another skill that doesn't really shine in a normal playthrough. It's not really noticeable unless you're really paying attention, but one of the effects of Stealth aside from the rather nice AC bonus is that the character gets targeted less. It doesn't lower the chance to target the character on some RNG table, it just straight up prevents the character from getting targeted at all. In a solo run, this means that you eventually hit a point where you're basically immune to melee, ranged, and single-target spells, and everything is forced to just sit there and defend while you bash them senseless.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Well, they know where the "party" is, so they can try to shuffle closer if not already in melee, they can still lob AoEs, they'll still adjust their facing, etc.

I figure it works something like stealth does for monsters, particularly since you can closer to mobs before combat triggers once the skill gets high enough(it even stacks with Chameleon).

As for making a party of Stealth capable characters, you're still splitting up all of the checks and slowing down skill growth. Nothing stopping it from working, but you'd probably have to make a heavy skill point investment to really get anywhere. You'd also have to split up all of your good resist gear; a lone Monk or Ninja with all of your good resist accessories can deal with getting tagged with a half dozen Whipping Rocks, a lower level party with the good stuff spread out won't fare so well(Heaven help you if one of those Whipping Rocks is a Crush instead).

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
Monster resists are the way they are because back in early testing the devs found that speed stacking mages could just zoom around and blow everything up before it could move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
I vaguely recall seeing some of the super high level stuff on my solo ninja run, which is pretty much the only time you'll ever realistically see them without obnoxious levels of grinding. Don't recall them putting up much of a fight, but you could say the same for just about anything having to face off against a high level stealth class.