Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

It's not an RPG unless we steal everything that isn't nailed down. I would avoid pickpocketing NPCs however because it never works. Also, no dedicated healer? Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

You really should give Lady a different weapon instead of axes, as they really suck in this game. Since you already have a Samurai who will probably be hogging all the good swords I suggest you give her Maces instead. I would also suggest Spears instead but looks you want her to be a tank that utilizes shields. You could always swap the bow out and give her a spear as an extended range option.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 14, 2020

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

Seeing as how Aurora is a ranger she's never gonna not have a bow(unless I swap her to a Double or Triple Crossbow once Stony has the ingredients and skills to craft one). Earnestly the usual worthwhile weapons are swords and polearms, and also where most of the options are, but it's kind of cool and thematic for a ranger to have an axe and also it's a bit different from what I've done before, so I will see where it takes me.

Was talking about your Valkyrie actually, give her a mace and shield and you should have a pretty decent tank that has the ability to knock monsters out, and then a spear for poking monsters just out of melee reach. As for the ranger, it's a waste to use a melee weapon on them, always be using ranged, even at point blank range since Rangers have the ability to instant kill with a ranged weapon. Yes, even at melee range they should still be using their bow to shoot them in the face for that crit chance. Double/Triple crossbows are awesome but they are ammo and stamina hungry so it might be useful to have a single shot weapon to swap to if running low on either resource.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 15, 2020

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

PurpleXVI posted:

I was just confused since you were talking about axes and the only axe user I have is Aurora, and her melee option is mostly so A) she'll swap to something with a shield up close and B) Webbed/sleeping/paralyzed/KO'd enemies don't get double damage from ranged attacks, but they will take 2x damage if she beats them in the face with her axe.

As for Lady, the KO chances from using a mace are extremely negligible, once again she's better off, in my experience, having a high-damage melee weapon that can do huge 2x damage against paralyzed enemies rather than taking the gamble on very minor condition chances, and a bow/crossbow for the longer-than-spear range stuff.

Yeah, maces really aren't effective unless they're dual wielded by a Fighter or some other class that can take advantage of dual wielding. Your Valkyrie is better off using spears anyway since they get a starting skill bonus with those. Still think the ranger should stick to just shooting people in the face with their bow even at point blank range since there's the chance of instant kill if they're using a ranged weapon, plus it helps level the ranged skill. If you're insisting on letting your Ranger use a Melee weapon I actually recommend Spears since they have extended reach.

EDIT: I just realized I did indeed confuse the weapons your Ranger and Valkyrie used.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 15, 2020

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe it's because I grew up playing the old Bard's Tale games but no adventuring party is complete without a bard, especially if they can play smooth jazz. Oh might as well take the ranger along too even if we already have one. If nothing else they can be used as a meat shield.

And yeah we should totally try to work with both the Umpani and T'Rang since it's both profitable and adds more content to go through.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jul 22, 2020

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Ah yes, the Bloodlust Sword. Probably the only cursed item I've seriously ever consider using since I don't like cursed items in general, what with the whole unable to be unequipped thing and all.

But Bloodlust is definitely worth the drawback. It's s a great early game option for Samurai since they're better off using their Mage spells for ranged combat anyway. It's also an amazing weapon for a Rogue since the auto-berserk stacks with the Rogue's backstab ability, and pairs nicely with some of cursed daggers such as the Poison dagger or the Theif's Dagger.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Definitely keep RFS. Vi is handy to have around too.

Also, you didn't get a Giant's Sword from that fight? Shame, it would have been a good extended reach weapon for Chewbekka. Fang however, is a better weapon anyway.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 25, 2020

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah forgot that the Giant's Sword eats stamina like no tomorrow. Probably not the best option for someone who has a chance to attack four times in a row. I'd still consider it since it can be annoying when an enemy is just out of reach for melee but not extended.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Class changing Werdna into a Bishop would open up his spell casting abilities to other schools but he'll be dead weight for quite a while since it takes forever for Bishops to level up. I'd say keep him as a mage, both Saxx and Stoney can provide most of the important spells via their instruments and gadgets

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Yeah the underwater section is pretty rough. Can't wait to see how you handle it.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I dunno, I felt like the entire game was a slog, because even the most basic battles with trash mobs can take upwards to 20min at a time. I still find Wiz8 a great game but the tedious battles do drag it down some.

Still, the quality of the game is good despite it's rushed and troubled production. There's a good reason SsethTzeentach refers to this game as a PSTD simulator. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

There are mods that speed up the animations and movements of the enemies and makes the game less of a slog.

Wiz8fast - allows you to crank up the monsters' movement speed to levels way past the default maximum of 5x
http://www.zimlab.com/wizardry/ find it under patches and utilities

Faster Animations Mod - makes the animations of monsters and projectiles much faster. Combat becomes way snappier with this
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jup0feu4g2qr32o/wiz_8_speedmod.zip?dl=0

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Sep 21, 2020