Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I'm voting thieving, just because that options seems to have the most votes right now and I don't want murder to win.

That said, the hall with the coffins also has a one-time full heal for your party if you drink the water. I don't know if you missed this or just forgot to mention it.

Re: Gregor. That absolute fucker. The first time I beat that thing was when I accidentally learned that you could paralyze it. Then in my current game I tried running away to gain another level elsewhere, but managed to get trapped by Gregor. Then I won anyway, because I made its skin itchy. So yeah, that status also works on Gregor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

I tried this game a year or two ago and made it to some tree city before losing my patience with it. now i can't because it doesnt work with the newest mac OS so good luck have fun i guess my story has no point.

Have you tried the Steam version? My own original CD went the way of the Dodo years ago and I took the chance when Wiz8 was on sale some time ago.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is one masterful troll, perfectly executed.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You know, I've forgotten how absolutely brutal this game can be. After bumbling around in the monastery for far too long, I exited and on my road to even reach the crossroads before Arnika, I encountered 15 crabs, 16 army ants and 4 bandits that were giant sacks of hitpoints but astonishingly harmless after a rain of constant status effects.

After reaching level 7 just from beating up all the enemies, I've had just reached the road when a swarm of plants showed up. A dozen, of course. After a grueling battle of status effects I had them down to 2, which then proceeded to murder my party. I count this as an ironic death, because just minutes before encountering those poisonous motherfuckers, I had the chance to take Cure Poison, but instead took another damage spell for my alchemist. "I have tons of potions" I said to myself, "I can take that spell later", I said. Minutes later I run into fuckers who poison everyone constantly.

The worst thing? The battle took forever, because those fuckers had 90+ hp each

They also loved to put my entire party to sleep, gently caress.

This game, sometimes :shepface:

Edit:

I forgot to mention, before even leaving the monastery, the game was nice enough to send a swarm of 16+ rats against my party, 5 of them of a type beefy enough to basically solo my party.

The first time I just kinda stumbled into them, then they taught me that no, even with our backs to a wall, we couldn't "just take them". On the way to ascension to godhood: Eaten by rats.

Doorways are your friend.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 24, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, Wizardry 8 can just be so mean sometimes. I just made it to Arnika by essentially just running. Plant monsters I couldn't beat, a troop of those spike-hands monsters I couldn't beat, it was basically just one, long run towards the city. My party barely made it before its stamina ran out. Dying two times against super plants was already two times too much, imho

I eagerly await the day the OP makes it to Arnika. Though of course it's interesting to see parts of the game I never made it to before. (I always went monastery -> arnika -> trynton before giving up, everything PurpleXVI did after leaving the monastery is completely new to me.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Goddamnit, I just walked right by that hidden tunnel. Next time I'll walk through the area, I need to rectify this. :argh:

I'm slightly amused that my cleptomanic tendencies already turned that note useless, though -I never thought of showing it to Braffit, but found and stole the wheelkey anyway :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nemo2342 posted:

Ah, Antone. Before they nerfed it into the ground, you used to be able to pick pocket some great gear from him with a little save scumming.

Also, I hope you’re using Wizfast to speed up some of these multi-party combats!

By the way, is the Steam-version running Wizfast, or do I still need that? It seems like the game runs faster (including the battles) than I remember, but that could just be the influence of having a non-ancient computer.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Those fairies got me multiple TPKs the first time I visited Trynton. I would just start preparing multiple damage spells to delete them, then every single one used that Eye for an Eye nonsense, followed by multiple Crush-spells to take out the 1-3 survivors.

Or they'd just pelt us with multiple AOE-spells, blinding us and then wiping us out. The funniest fight was against a group of 6 which managed to not only blind all of us in the first turn, my Alchemist fumbled her spell and backfired it across the group, killing two of us outright. Then the next two turns those little monsters would just use Crush over and over, killing everyone faster than I could revive them.

Later when I reached that silent area where you can get to the 7th Bough, the game was nice enough to spawn 18 sprites inside. I laughed like a maniac and ran inside, to beat them all up with weapons. They still did a lot of damage just with their tiny kicks and punches, but eventually I massacred them all. (Later I remembered to use the same area against some of the other annoying spellcaster-enemies in Trynton.)

Fun fact: Thanks to being goddamn dumb, I managed to drink three of the mystery potions until I finally understood how this was supposed to work. Then I had to march all the way back down to buy another one, since I had used up all of my spares. :v:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the light heals. Not so outdated if you have an alchemist with you, then you can just mash them together with medium heals to create heavy heal potions. (Also a good source of money if you have tons of medium + light potions)

The cube-enemies remind me of Lufia II, where you sometimes encounter evil cubes, too. And remembering that Japan loves Wizardry, I now wonder if this a coincidence, or if the cubes in Lufia II are an obscure Wizardry-reference?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Hilariously enough, however, your bard is perfectly capable of getting the right tune out of a saxophone underwater. :v:

Actually now I wonder what instruments actually would, realistically, produce something we could call music underwater.

Theoretically, every music instrument working by vibration should work normally. Stuff like drums or triangles. They'd only sound different, because the waves propagate through a different medium.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So if the Destinae Dominus makes the carrier insane, could you circumvent this by bringing a Psionic? Their entire deal is being immune to mental effects, after all.

This way you wouldn't need the helmet of serenity.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

So much for the newest frontier in Wizardry 8 speedrunning strats with an all-Psionic party(and no RPC's).

Maybe it's not good for skipping parts of the game, but I'll definitely will give the thing to my Psionic, just because. The helmet of serenity will of course go to someone who can actually use the 30% mental res bonus. :v:

Edit: Found something.

Steam posted:

I killed Marten without the helm of serenity and picked up destinae dominus and quicksaved my game foolishly 3 times without realising that im screwing up so hard. Was stuck with insane party and not sure what to do next. Read the walkthrough after that and realised i had to find the shaman and get martens idol or something before this but i cant win any fight now because my party just kills themselves when the fight starts. Can anyone help me with this?

:allears:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Sep 6, 2020

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh my God that's amazing. I think the only hope that guy has is to save-edit the DD out of his inventory and then re-add with a save editor once he's got the Helm of Serenity.

Either that or bouncing off random easy enemies until he gets a win and can cross-class someone to psionic and give it to them.

Someone gave him some tips, and he "solved" this by giving the mobile insanity causer to the character he needed the least, then sleeping off the insanity from the other characters. Then he trekked around with that perma-insane character in tow and dealt with the missing quests until he got the helm of serenity, hardcore-style.

Edit:

I just realized, if he had had just one level-up on his way, he could have cross-classed that one into a psionic. The question is, what is more annoying to deal with: Doing the missing quests with a party permanently reduced by -1, or by dealing with the added complication of unwanted multiclassing? :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal One posted:

Monster resists are the way they are because back in early testing the devs found that speed stacking mages could just zoom around and blow everything up before it could move.

Interestingly, the same thing is totally doable in Might and Magic 7, but the M&M devs apparently were of the Fun>Balance School. :v: