Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So, a fun thing about this game:

Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant was like a 100-200 hour campaign. It takes FOREVER and is absurdly hard and frankly I have no idea how anyone ever completed it without the hint guide that came with the remastered (and objectively worse; it broke a lot of things) version of the game, Wizardry Gold.

As the OP points out, your starting zone in Wiz8 depends on what ending you got in Wiz7. At the end of Wiz7, the Dark Savant has captured Vi Domina--an NPC, and is basically like "Hey, give me the plot device or I will kill this woman!"

And you can give it to him, at which point he laughs maniacally and disappears, ending the game. And that'd be a viable import into Wiz8.

Or you can say basically "I'm not negotiating with terrorists and giving you the plot device which you can then use to rule the world." At which point he gets mad, snaps his fingers, and throws you into the negative zone. That ALSO gives you a save file that you can import.

Now, again: Wiz7 is an ABSURDLY long game. And it also came out like 7-8 years before Wizardry 8 did. Wiz8 had some terrible developmental delays as SirTech foundered and ran out of money--you see evidence of that like in the "your computer sucks" exit screen that someone else posted. The studio was clearly hard up for cash trying to get this game out the door.

But think back to the mid-90s (Wiz7) and early 2000s (Wiz8). There was not really a cloud to stick your savegames on. Your save games were either on your hard drive (which was unlikely to be the same HD you'd play with for Wiz8; 8 years is a long time to not get a new computer) or on your floppy disk--and by early 2000s there was a good chance you didn't have a floppy drive.

So getting ANY savegame from Wiz7 into Wiz8 would've been a minor miracle given the changes in technology and the significant chunk of time between the games.

I went back to my parents' house one summer during college and found the old computer I'd used when I was a teenager. Opened the thing up, took out the HD, eventually was able to grab my Wiz7 savefile so I could get it onto the computer I was using for Wiz8.

Imported into Wiz8 only to get "hey dingus, you're floating around in the void. Guess you should have traded the plot device to the Dark Savant, huh?" and then kicked back to the main menu.

8 years, and a ton of work, only for the game to just absolutely kick me in the teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There are also some real weird stories about the development of this game, where for whatever reason there were a bunch of animated genitalia monsters. I don’t know if I believe it, but there’s an area MUCH later in this game that kinda makes me inclined to.

It’s such a treasure of a game, but it was the last gasp of a dying company and some WEIRD stuff clearly happened.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I don't have an RPG Codex account, but this kind of alludes to what I heard:

https://grimdarkly.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/greatest-thread-of-all-time-gets-more-great-i-er/

(I did an LP of this game like 10 years ago and someone brought it up then. Was news to me at the time but kind of made sense since they brought it up when I was in That One Area)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

EclecticTastes posted:

It's worth noting that Cleve Blakemore is every kind of virulent bigot under the sun and one costume change away from just being an out-and-proud Nazi, and was only brought onto the old Wizardry 8 project as a consultant midway through an already-troubled development cycle. After his resignation, he took twenty years to make a Wizardry knock-off entirely by himself (having burned all of his professional bridges publicly badmouthing a former employer), and it was mediocre even by 1997 standards. So, even the stuff that seems to have a kernel of truth to it is most likely wildly misrepresented at best, and his game design skills are as uncorroborated as anything else he claimed.

Welp, gently caress that guy then. Enough weird derailing of what will probably be an awesome LP of an awesome, though flawed, game.

PS: go thievery.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If you can manage to get to Mt. Gigas without it being too frustrating with getting your rear end kicked, that's my vote.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Croc sells mana stones, usually. And you can sell them back and they get recharged.

Great way to grind out magic.

e: and if the fight you're referring to is the one I'm thinking of, holy crap if you managed it at this level. That fight is HORRIBLE.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Are you going to show off any of the alchemy stuff?

Also, holy crap you showed it off a bit when you were exploring the swamp, but man do I hate Bayjin and Rynjin. I don't know why the Rapax are supposed to be this enormous threat when the planet has much worse to offer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

The Trynton patrols are also an incredible slog when you're doing ironman. I carried Vi with me in every playthrough just because I wanted some level of insurance against getting pushed off a bridge by those bastards.