Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Libluini posted:

Theoretically, every music instrument working by vibration should work normally. Stuff like drums or triangles. They'd only sound different, because the waves propagate through a different medium.

Stringed instruments (guitar, harp, violin, voice, piano kinda) would work best because you can't get water inside a string so they work basically the same way regardless of the medium. However, if you're lost in an underwater forest and you start hearing banjo music it's going to sound like a hundred times creepier.

You can play brass (trumpet, trombone) and reed (saxophone, clarinet) instruments just fine, too, because you fill them with air from your lungs. I feel like you'd have to replace the felt pads fairly often. Tuba might be difficult unless you have Michael Phelps lungs.

Non-reed woodwinds like flute and piccolo, not so much, the body will be filled with an uncompressible substance a thousand times denser than air and intensely more echoreflective. But your typical flute player is terrified of water anyway, with the exception of Herbie Mann who took 3 medals in the 1954 European Aquatics championship.

However, once the sound is produced water is so echoreflective that distortion occurs almost immediately. And, of course, air bubbles. Our buddy Saxx would die inside a little bit every time he had to play a tune.

- Naturally the Japanese have this covered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPGPmOVNj7s
- There are certain challenges playing drums underwater: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1688018577929011
- You could even put a band together: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ-OkKOJVkI

edit: improper number of X's in "Saxx"

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Sep 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

edit: crap, sorry, should be from the party POV.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 9, 2020

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So I know I played this and Wiz 7. I remember abusing the hell out of portals. I remember all the fuckery required to start a fight without your guys having variously bad things happen to their body and brains before anyone can do anything. But I do NOT remember areas of the game being this much of a slog. Maybe it's the kind eye of memory, maybe I save-scummed a little too much?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PurpleXVI posted:

Personally if I wanted to play an early-3D FPS game I'd just play Blood instead. :v: Don't mind me I just hated how the superior choice in those games was almost always circlestrafing with ranged weapons and spells rather than using the turn-based combat.

Yeah I was thinking the M&Ms would have been good fodder until I remembered this. Especially with the Fly spell. Basically as abusable as having a snare and dots in an MMO.

Plus the insane amount and quality party buffs. Plus Lloyd's Beacon and using it plus Fly to get a ton of free stat buffs and healing.

W&W is bad, plenty bad, but at least we won't spend most of it watching you run backwards and diagonally while gradually climbing the tech tree from bows to blasters...

Thanks for playing through this, BTW. Nice to finally see some of those endings...