Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tenebrais posted:

It really gets to me that Tea doesn't prioritise revealing critical-path sections in the hacking games.

Like, you're flipping tiles all over the place looking for the last piece you'll need when you don't even know if it's already there or not.

Or if the section he's looking for the piece for is going to be blocked, which I half expected to burn him in the last video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Tea informs me that this is revenge for everything I put him through with Super Metroid.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
So it doesn't exactly have EXPLOSIVE written on the side but I do love watching these guys talk about how telekinesis could have combat applications while they lob a tennis racket at a lady crouching down next to an explosive canister (the red cylinder).

It's also surprising to see someone have this much trouble with cameras.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Ghost Stromboli posted:

So it doesn't exactly have EXPLOSIVE written on the side but I do love watching these guys talk about how telekinesis could have combat applications while they lob a tennis racket at a lady crouching down next to an explosive canister (the red cylinder).

It's also surprising to see someone have this much trouble with cameras.

Yeah, the very first TK where they throw a tennis ball and her and are surprised it doesn't kill her is pretty funny.

And it's a video game, everything that's red explodes. It's a contractual obligation.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Rapture, the city where the artist shall not fear the censor! Unless the artist wants to print the Holy Bible, or glorify Christ.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The funny thing is that one of the female splicers was babbling about a minister for a wedding earlier.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

mr_stibbons posted:

Rapture, the city where the artist shall not fear the censor! Unless the artist wants to print the Holy Bible, or glorify Christ.

There's a lot to do with how Rapture became what it is now. The audio logs are the chief source of this information. Religion is legal as long as it's kept private and doesn't interfere in your business, but smuggling is illegal. It was debated earlier but Rapture is actually secret from the world at large and Ryan was trying to keep controls on what goes in and out.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why doesn't Yorkshire use any of the special ammo? I think he had shotgun slugs that would have made the Big Daddy much easier.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm honestly surprised the Big Daddies are as small as they are. The promotional art made them out to look absolutely gigantic. Maybe it's just that they're supposed to look big compared to the little girls they protect, but still, I was at least expecting something taller than the rest of the genetically coked out residents of this objectivist utopia. I was also going to say that it's kind of silly and impractical that Steinman can take full on rounds of gunfire and still cackle on as usual, but he must have really juiced himself up with super serum.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I almost forgot - I mentioned earlier that the voice work for the Little Sisters is very good. The anguished cries when you kill "Mr. Bubbles" is particularly good - it always hits me right in the feels.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I equally applaud and lambaste Tea's inherent desire to subvert what the game expects of you. Barely engaging with the steinman fight, passively staring at a wall was both head shaking and very funny.

Glad you strongly advised taking on the big daddy though, I don't think I could have handled an entire game of exchanging nothing but pleasantries with them.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Shitenshi posted:

I'm honestly surprised the Big Daddies are as small as they are. The promotional art made them out to look absolutely gigantic. Maybe it's just that they're supposed to look big compared to the little girls they protect, but still, I was at least expecting something taller than the rest of the genetically coked out residents of this objectivist utopia. I was also going to say that it's kind of silly and impractical that Steinman can take full on rounds of gunfire and still cackle on as usual, but he must have really juiced himself up with super serum.
Yeah, they seemed weirdly small to me too, and I'm going into this LP about as blind as Tea.

Fwoderwick posted:

I equally applaud and lambaste Tea's inherent desire to subvert what the game expects of you. Barely engaging with the steinman fight, passively staring at a wall was both head shaking and very funny.

Glad you strongly advised taking on the big daddy though, I don't think I could have handled an entire game of exchanging nothing but pleasantries with them.
A blind "pacifist" low-level run of this game might have been funny though.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, they seemed weirdly small to me too, and I'm going into this LP about as blind as Tea.

The Bouncers are very hunched over. I think they're canonically 7'2 or 7'1 while the protagonist is 6'2 according to an unused passport texture found in the game files; if you look at when the Rosies are standing up straight or when the Bouncer fully rears up, the height seems correct.

Not really a spoiler (unless someone posted spoilers in any of the replies), but people also pulled the full model of our protagonist from the Burial at Sea files. Tea is going through this whole game in a soaking wet cable-knit sweater and slacks.

https://twitter.com/minkawerkz/status/1216543389258305536

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the sweater explains the electricity powers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagine how awful all of that outfit must feel. It's permanently soaked.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Guys you can hack the cameras and make your life a lot easier. Especially since IIRC if you do it will summon security drones to attack the enemies.

chitoryu12 posted:

The hacking sections are much easier on PC. You can just click on two tiles to swap the pieces instead of needing to take a piece and hold it in reserve to swap in, and the speed of a mouse means you can have the entire path cleared to the exit pipe in a few seconds. I'm not sure if the water is sped up to match though.

I don't think it is. One of the things you get later in the game slows down the liquid and I'm guessing we all just slapped that thing on and never took it off.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

That is the most average man in a videogame I've ever seen (as opposed to the most average videogame man I've seen).

I suppose the permanently drenched cable knit sweater would work well with Inferno. Less so with Electro Bolt.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's up with those hands?

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Is there more story in the instruction manual or something? As far as I can see, the main character survives a plane crash, swims to an island with shelter, and then decides to get in a weird bathysphere and and start playing with its controls. Why wouldn't you just wait for help? His first instinct to beat up a man rather than talk him down is really weird too, and then as soon as he sees a needle full of unknown fluid he injects himself! :stare: I really feel like there's something missing in the beginning of the story that we've missed.

I've never played this game either, but I remember it being popular. The only thing I know about it (other than the first episode of this Let's Play) is that people complained that it wasn't as good as System Shock, which I also haven't played.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Chatrapati posted:

Is there more story in the instruction manual or something? As far as I can see, the main character survives a plane crash, swims to an island with shelter, and then decides to get in a weird bathysphere and and start playing with its controls. Why wouldn't you just wait for help? His first instinct to beat up a man rather than talk him down is really weird too, and then as soon as he sees a needle full of unknown fluid he injects himself! :stare: I really feel like there's something missing in the beginning of the story that we've missed.

I've never played this game either, but I remember it being popular. The only thing I know about it (other than the first episode of this Let's Play) is that people complained that it wasn't as good as System Shock, which I also haven't played.

There is a LOT missing that will be explained later (assuming Yorkshire Tea doesn't just blaze past it).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Chatrapati posted:

There's a lot to be said for the expectations of it being a Noughties FPS where you are a Silent Protagonist TM and I know at the time I personally didn't question the introductory scenes.

For one thing the state of Rapture wasn't a surprise from the media build-up, you knew it had gone to poo poo and was full of bads. With that and being generally amazed at the spectacle and environment it was easy not to think to hard about what you were doing. But you're right, from a more rational, 'what would a real person do?' mindset, he does kinda go ham right off the bat.

And echoing Wa11y, for a game from 2007, a lot of thought has gone in to the story and world so it's worth sitting tight to see how it ties together. But Tea's probably already missed a load of audio logs and (not complaining) isn't taking the most solemn tone with it all shall we say.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
I just started replaying Infinite because of the LP, and... the writing/cutscenes in Bioshock games may just not be superb. Like it's not abysmal and the plot is only just really getting going in this LP, but there's definitely some ham there. In particular I do not like the execution of the cutscene where you first harvest/rescue a Little Sister. It's got a weird floaty camera effect that makes it seem like your legs became a film studio tripod that can gently glide and adjust height slowly. And in general the cutscene just kinda comes off as clumsy to me.

There's certainly some stuff to appreciate, although the one that comes to mind may not be coming up for a while.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chatrapati posted:

Tea is currently a very short distance into the game. My last run of it, where I did try to find everything, took 12 hours. There's also a ton of context to what's going on in the audio logs, many of which I think he's missing.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I think the second Big Daddy that Tea tangled with in the last video before this one was a different model than the first so I figured they all didn't fight the same, but I didn't think that long range attackers would be arriving this early.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shitenshi posted:

I think the second Big Daddy that Tea tangled with in the last video before this one was a different model than the first so I figured they all didn't fight the same, but I didn't think that long range attackers would be arriving this early.

Yep. This game is pretty subtle about warning you of an incoming new enemy type. You'll see them in a non-combat sense once or twice at most, then you end up in combat with them later on. This is a game that's generally very good for paying attention and remembering everything you see.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

chitoryu12 posted:

Tea is currently a very short distance into the game. My last run of it, where I did try to find everything, took 12 hours. There's also a ton of context to what's going on in the audio logs, many of which I think he's missing.

Yeah we're necessarily going to miss logs as part of the nature of the playthrough. It's fine and honestly the incomplete picture of what's happened in Rapture that Tea's going to get from them is, I think, part of the charm.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One tactic I liked for the Big Daddies was to use the hypnotize plasmid while all the splicers were still around. They're not great at taking out splicers, but they will take damage.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
Well, it took much less time than expected for Tea to abuse the Consequence free death in this game. I generally would try to avoid doing that, as the atomosphere works better if you at least pretend that that death is a problem.

Also, consider buying medkits from the vending machines? Also using the pile of armour piercing pistol rounds you have been saving up on the big daddies?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can definitely understand the frustration. Between how weak your own gunfire seems in comparison to your enemies' rounds as opposed to just wrenching the poo poo out of everything, and the samey enemy design of rambling weirdos in trenchcoats, it seems like some of the atmosphere and worldbuilding can only go so far. I remember SMT: Nocturne was a trippy blast of a game until I reached Matador, then part of the story seemed to lose its luster until that roadblock was cleared.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mr_stibbons posted:

Also using the pile of armour piercing pistol rounds you have been saving up on the big daddies?
I think this is the important part - Tea's got a load of AP rounds, proximity mines, exploding shotgun ammo, he just doesn't seem to have noticed he can swap ammo types.

The tip about throwing corpses is a good one: I found Telekinesis to be the best combat plasmid in the game due to how incredibly versatile it is. It can also grab some non-obvious projectiles in addition to the grenades you get told about. And it can, naturally, be used to completely clown the grenade-throwing Big Daddies.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I think this is the important part - Tea's got a load of AP rounds, proximity mines, exploding shotgun ammo, he just doesn't seem to have noticed he can swap ammo types.

The tip about throwing corpses is a good one: I found Telekinesis to be the best combat plasmid in the game due to how incredibly versatile it is. It can also grab some non-obvious projectiles in addition to the grenades you get told about. And it can, naturally, be used to completely clown the grenade-throwing Big Daddies.

I was hoping the moment where Tea noticed he had to switch from his one Exploding Buck shot back to normal 00 Buck he would have had the light bulb go off and realize he has more tools he's not using. He's had Electric Buck for a while, which would be good for shocking a Big Daddy while saving the Eve for other stuff.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Goddamn it Yorkie, you got to start using the tools you've been provided.
All those special shotgun slugs and grenades are just sitting in your inventory.
"Money is like an arm or a leg, use it or lose it." - one shithead industrialist fitting Rapture very much.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Goddamn it Yorkie, you got to start using the tools you've been provided.
All those special shotgun slugs and grenades are just sitting in your inventory.
"Money is like an arm or a leg, use it or lose it." - one shithead industrialist fitting Rapture very much.

Especially because if you're judicious about searching, it's really easy to max out on ammo and/or money before the halfway point. On my last playthrough I found myself repeatedly unable to pick up items or cash because I was so flush with everything I needed. At the beginning you want to save, but then you have no choice but to use it.

Cash especially is flowing like water toward the end. I remember impulsively spending a full wallet and ending up with a pile of rockets, electric buck, AP ammo, etc. on the floor in front of the vending machine. I started using it up even on random enemies who didn't justify it just so I could go back and pick up more.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Hacking the shops is usually worth doing as well.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
Just a heads up, Big Daddies may actually respawn whereas the Little Sisters are unique. IIRC you can often run across a BD stomping up to one of those hide-y holes, knocking on it, and stomping off in resignation because there's no Little Sister to pop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That one security turret you can pay twenty dollars to just deactivate right then and there seems like a counterproductive strategy in business and design, but hey, this is Objectivism. Between being extremely secretive as to who he is, barking orders down your throat, being open to sucking the souls out of literal children, and constantly bringing up a family that he hasn't even given names for, I'm starting to think that Atlas really is up to something. And frickin lawl at Ryan's real name. The real name of his actual counterpart, Ayn Rand, was Alisa Rosenbaum, but who knows what the hell actually possessed her to take on a supervillain name that sounds like something spoken by the minions of Cthulhu. Reality is stranger than fiction.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 25, 2020