Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Am I wrong, or did you miss a gift at the Gatherer's Garden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Shitenshi posted:

The writers really did their research on an Ayn Rand themed game, mentioning "engraved invitation."

Oh dang, nice catch.

The only big flashback I was having this episode was when they mentioned Ryan saying there were no innocents... reminded me of the moral commentary on Atlas Shrugged's big train disaster. It'd be great if this game works in some direct reference to that somewhere, that section sure is a doozy.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think the Little Sisters are recycling the Adam that the dead person had previously injected.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The "Little Sisters Orphanage" ad spot thing was interesting. I guess in Rapture, since everything is for-profit, it would make sense that they'd extend their orphanage service to children with parents for more revenue. On the other hand, they're taking them in free of charge; isn't Rapture supposed to be really against that sort of thing?

Of course obviously it's just a front for the Adam-harvesting operation and probably not a very well-disguised one either, but you know.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Presumably in an objectivist society you have the choice to give away things for free if you wish. There's in theory no state preventing you from making bad decisions for yourself.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Natural 20 posted:

Presumably in an objectivist society you have the choice to give away things for free if you wish. There's in theory no state preventing you from making bad decisions for yourself.

A major theme of Atlas Shrugged was that it's immoral to charitably give stuff to people because it's keeps them from earning it and therefor makes them weak. Or something like that, it's something I try not to think about too much and is mostly just a way for people to feel good about being assholes. It ties in with all of Ryan's ranting against "the parasite" and how people shouldn't help them.

But back to the game, Rapture is founded on Randian ideals but not lawless, so there might literally be laws against charity. Though the Little Sisters Orphanage might have gotten around that by claiming they were using them as slave labor or something, because Rapture is like that.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 8, 2020

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It's not much of a spoiler that there was The One Law: no contact with the outside world.
Everything else goes so long as it's not disrupting business, but with time Andrew Ryan became more of an absolute dictator. Culminating with actual mind control

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know if it was said yet, and a good number of you are probably thinking the same thing, but judging by that previous video when you were constantly getting poor scoring closeup shots of that Big Daddy just walking around whereas you got way better scores for photos in combat no matter the distance, and the way you were taking high scoring photos of splicers when you were fighting them as opposed to just their corpses, I'm guessing that's the secret to being a better photographer.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

There's always something fun about the section in a shooter where you load up with automated defences and fight off a swarm of enemies.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm pretty sure the Big Daddy control plasmid's description specified that it's effects are only temporary. And that shotgun is pretty badass. Reminds me of the musket in GTA V. A long reload time, but the power behind every shot makes it so worth it, though by the time you can get that game's weapon, there are way better guns out there.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

I'm pretty sure the Big Daddy control plasmid's description specified that it's effects are only temporary.

Fun thing about the Control Big Daddy plasmid though, is that while the Big Daddy you're controlling might go back to normal, if he's in combat when he does, the thing he's fighting won't deaggro on him. And then once they hit him again, it'll reaggro him and he'll go right back to the killing.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This section just feels a bit superfluous. After Ryan having shown himself to be an rear end in a top hat multiple times and goading you to challenge him, it seems like the next part of the story to face off against the big man himself, not a redux of the Nazi doctor Steinman.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

This section just feels a bit superfluous. After Ryan having shown himself to be an rear end in a top hat multiple times and goading you to challenge him, it seems like the next part of the story to face off against the big man himself, not a redux of the Nazi doctor Steinman.

I agree, I never got why this section was here except to go 'But wait, more crazy assholes!' If you really wanted to extend gameplay, give us another goal that's meaningful to the story. I feel like we jumped to 'Murder Ryan right in his stupid murderable face' rather quickly anyway. Maybe make us go fight through Rapture's Doggy Daycare to go kill Ryan's dog to get its collar so we can unlock EVIL FORTRESS DOME or whatever. Just not some guy that pops in and goes, "Hey mind if I interrupt the main plot for a while?"

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
An actually interesting youtube comment notes that part of the idea behind Sander Cohen is that he is actually a complete hack. The only reason he's celebrated in Rapture is because they're so starved for actual entertainment in their objectivist hell under the sea.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

I agree, I never got why this section was here except to go 'But wait, more crazy assholes!' If you really wanted to extend gameplay, give us another goal that's meaningful to the story.
I think it's just another approach on the "why are you just follopwing all those stupid orders" theme the game has. With Atlas and Ryan, there's at least some (currently) vague reasoning to go along with them: revenge, being grateful for Atlas helping you out at the start, stuff like that - stuff you can justify. Cohen, though? You're doing his - rather horrible - errands even though your character has no reason to; it shows the player can unquestioningly (mostly, and I'm really glad Tea has been pointing out this issue with the story since the beginning) obey arbitrary orders because they just want to progress in the game.

It also engages with objectivism and its approach to rules while thankfully not trying to defend it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 15, 2020

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat

There's a fun little glitch with the big daddy in the shopping plaza at the end. In the middle of the room is two stairs going up and down. If you stand on the banister at the intersection of the two stairs, and fire on the melee big daddy, the AI gets confused and can't path to you. it switches between going up either stair, and it just wobbles back and forth. easy kill and an amusing sight.

Hopefully they haven't patched it. I last saw it in 2007.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, Ayn Rand's cult in real life was also heavily into smoking simply because she liked smoking. To the point that even when it became common knowledge that smoking increased the chances of lung cancer, she still kept on doing it, and I think she looked down on people who didn't smoke. And I'm seriously surprised you didn't try and just auto hack the Spanish language Circus of Values. With a difficulty like that, I was expecting trouble, but yeesh, didn't think it would be that bad.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
God, this LP brings back so many memories. Bioshock is the only game I ever got a desktop graphics card for, and at the time it felt worth it. Even now, with how much the storytelling's aged, I'm tempted to pick the game up again because the gameplay still looks fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Apologies for the delay. Youtube copyright is so fun.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 18, 2020

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
You haven't played bioshock until you take down a big daddy that doesn't have a sister by accident.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So constantly shooting photos of that Little Sister is enough to aggro a Big Daddy? Since you weren't taking shots at him or his companion before.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"
If you stand too close to a Little Sister, the Big Daddy will take a swipe at you to back off, but doesn't go agro. The Daddy didn't go agro, you can see its lights are still yellow until Tea hoses it down with electric gel.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 20, 2020

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That was certainly a choice of music to play during a (supposedly) tense action scene. I get that it's supposed to be Cohen playing it over the intercom/radio in-universe, but it's still draining all the tension out of the scene.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

I liked it. Gave it a fun feel.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Do you get anything out of all that hacking? I've noticed a few times that you've hacked security cameras and there's no enemies around to use them on, especially now that you can go invisible and wait it out. Is it necessary to hack the security cameras to get them off your back, or do they eventually respawn awhile after you shock them?

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Commander Keene posted:

That was certainly a choice of music to play during a (supposedly) tense action scene. I get that it's supposed to be Cohen playing it over the intercom/radio in-universe, but it's still draining all the tension out of the scene.

Violence (or at least odd juxtapositions) to classical musical is a bit of a trope. He says, without being able to think of any examples right now... It's usage might be aiming for absurdity more than tension?

And I think Tea standing still in full view of two splicers (but invisible) for a while and then immediately nuking them had quite a bit to do with draining the combat tension specifically.

The game gives you the tools to completely trivialise many encounters but it's not necessarily obvious under normal circumstances. Would Tea have bothered as much with the camera's damage boosts, the OP wrench or the chameleon skill if their importance hadn't been stressed to him?

Fwoderwick fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 20, 2020

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Shitenshi posted:

Do you get anything out of all that hacking? I've noticed a few times that you've hacked security cameras and there's no enemies around to use them on, especially now that you can go invisible and wait it out. Is it necessary to hack the security cameras to get them off your back, or do they eventually respawn awhile after you shock them?

Shocking is a temporary solution to cameras - if you shock them then leave them alone, after a few seconds they'll turn back on.

Hacking is a permanent solution, but so is wrenching or shooting.

It really depends on how much Pipe Dream you're willing to spend time on.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Qrr posted:

Shocking is a temporary solution to cameras - if you shock them then leave them alone, after a few seconds they'll turn back on.

Hacking is a permanent solution, but so is wrenching or shooting.

It really depends on how much Pipe Dream you're willing to spend time on.

Hacking a camera creates area denial for the enemy. In a game where enemies can spawn in from basically anywhere, it can be extremely useful to have areas where you know you're covered from, and fallback positions if you need a quick escape. Hacking cameras is particularly useful because, unlike turrets, enemies won't attack the cameras themselves, making them pretty much a permanent resource once you've acquired them. They're also great for getting action shots of enemies with your research camera, and I mentioned before they're my preferred way of dealing with Big Daddies quickly and cleanly.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's been interesting finding out how many people are still unspoiled on Bioshock.

Natural 20 posted:

An actually interesting youtube comment notes that part of the idea behind Sander Cohen is that he is actually a complete hack. The only reason he's celebrated in Rapture is because they're so starved for actual entertainment in their objectivist hell under the sea.

That and Ryan likes, or liked, his work. That's also why Rapture is so Art Deco even though that style was on the way out before WW2.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
20 episodes in, Tea buys his first plasmid slots!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There's also a video I saw once where someone attempted to play Cohen's piece on an actual piano and discovered it is an insane abomination you'd need three hands and your head to pull off

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

DeathChicken posted:

There's also a video I saw once where someone attempted to play Cohen's piece on an actual piano and discovered it is an insane abomination you'd need three hands and your head to pull off

Don't worry, there's a Plasmid for that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You sound like you doubt, ARE YOU A loving DOUBTER?!

Cohen is all the most horrible stories about Nero and they're all real.