Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Bruceski posted:

For the record that Spec Ops "you can choose to stop playing" is out of context AND said by one guy who was fond of jerking off about how genius his game was. It was in the context of "there's a lot of ways people can respond to this sort of thing, and if someone decided to stop playing I'd consider that a valid response", not an intended "solution". That game was a character descending into some dark places and taking the player along with him, framed as a... I think deconstruction is the right word despite its overuse... of FPS military games that have similar actions but celebrate them. In that respect Bioshock does the same thing, kind of aknowledges the meta-ness of doing stuff just because it's a quest objective, but the second part doesn't stop giving you quest objectives or expecting you to do them despite being "freed".
The way I like to think of Spec Ops is that it is Walker's story - but it is not your story as a player. I don't know if the writers were deliberately using Bertolt Brecht's distancing effect/Verfremdungseffekt but it's very much present.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NGDBSS posted:

The way I like to think of Spec Ops is that it is Walker's story - but it is not your story as a player. I don't know if the writers were deliberately using Bertolt Brecht's distancing effect/Verfremdungseffekt but it's very much present.

I hadn't heard of that technique, but I agree after reading it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The Ryan part is IMO pretty well done, all things considered. The game is set around lampooning one of the dumbest ideologies out there, Objectivism, and the 'twist' is that you, as the player, have no agency in actually doing the deed of offing Ryan. A man chooses, a slave obeys. No gods, no kings, only man, remember? It is also a critique, of sorts, of FPS games, but (I will put this in spoilers since the LP authors have not played System Shock 2, which I am spoiling here) In System Shock 2, you the player are a hostage of a sociopathic AI who forces you to do whatever she wants, and this is the framing of all the various fetch quests and objectives in the game. The 'twist' of that game even being the 'revelation' that this is the situation, though it is telegraphed well in advance by the virtue of being a sequel to System Shock in the first place, but never mind. The only time the player character gets a choice is at the end sequence, when SHODAN pleads for her life, and the player character just kills her. But it's a cut scene! The player themselves never get to make that choice either way! They're SHODAN's puppet all through the game, and the moral catharsis, if there is one, is not in the hands of the player, beyond reaching the end credits. By blending this with the nonsenses of Objectivism, it creates, especially for its time, a pretty powerful study slash critique of the Skinner box game design paradigm and what that means for game narratives. Obviously this can be seen as bland and banal today, and Tea did pretty much figure it out even before any of the 'reveals' happened, which was fun to watch!, but there's a lot going on here, and I appreciate what the game designers were after.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So funny story about Atlas, his original voice actor was removed because test audiences sussed that he was up to no good way ahead of time. So they got someone new, who is Irish IRL...playing a guy from Brooklyn, doing an intentionally overblown Irish accent

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Looked that up and yeah the Atlas change made a load of difference:

Eurogamer posted:

Nobody trusted Atlas, the disembodied voice who acted as both welcoming party and guide to Rapture. One attendee described Atlas, who at the time spoke in a Morgan Freeman-esque Southern drawl, as a "lecherous Colonel Sanders".
That said, in Bioshock as we know it Frank Fontaine and Atlas are voiced by distinct actors, Greg Baldwin and Karl Hanover respectively.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Not having seen any of this game before, I'm pretty impressed with that twist. In particular, giving Atlas an irish accent did a great job of hiding the codephrase. Never saw that one coming. And having it be a bad irish accent even foreshadows that twist.

I definitely see the value in having Atlas being a false identity rather than having Fontaine being your handler through the first half, since it lets the audio-logs set him up as a villain without revealing that you're working for one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how Tea's parallel universes theory accidentally figured out a plot point in another Bioshock game. Or did he play Infinite?

NGDBSS posted:

Is it, though? I think this would be much more difficult to achieve in an interactive medium, where the identification of the player with the character whose actions they decide on some level (even if its just choosing which waist-high wall to duck behind) feels much stronger.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 8, 2020

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
I also feel that explicitly referencing the vita-chambers in an audio log was a mistake. Up to this point, where they are conspicuously absent from all the logs and dialog, its easy to dismiss them as a gameplay contrivance, but now that we know they are a real thing, it just opens a can of worms. Why do Ryan and Fontaine try to kill you with splicers and kazoo bots knowing full well that you will come back from any amount of bullets?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Ryan is probably unaware as he only gets a good look at Jack before the office scene ( the "you are my greatest disappointment" radio call)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

That's pretty explicit - he goes straight from "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU AND PIN YOU TO MY WALL AS A TROPHY" to "I could never harm you, but you disappoint me so". Which is probably why they explained the Vita-Chambers being coded for Ryan only just before the encounter. They were giving you one more big clue (in case you were stupid or had missed the other ones) needed to help you understand that the Vita-Chambers worked for you because you're actually Andrew Ryan's son.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Also, as a fairly relevant detail, there is a vita-chamber in Ryan's office but it's disabled.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So what happened at the end there with that Big Daddy? It looks like it clipped awkwardly with the rest of the environment and was glitched into low health. And was that a dead Little Sister next to it?

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
The big daddy was entering the "return little sister to vent" animation just as tea found it for the third round, with the big daddy on super low health. Thus Tea got no little sister for all his effort and ammo.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 14, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I find it morbidly hilarious that you looted food items from all three of the poisoned children in that setpiece you blew up.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gnoman posted:

I find it morbidly hilarious that you looted food items from all three of the poisoned children in that setpiece you blew up.

It fits in with Tea's slug looting from the Little Sisters.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Coming to the underwater city of Rapture while slowly learning about it's history and it's inhabitants and being guided in the unknown of it all by a total stranger whose aims are a complete mystery only to realize it's being ruled by a self-righteous deluded Objectivist megalomaniac like Ryan where it turns out that your helpful guide was even worse than him, I can see what this game was going for with the mystique and ludonarrative angle. But Fontaine's constant villain monologues are ruining all of that and it's disappointing to see this game become a one note story of kill the villain. Sure that was mostly the first half too, yet there was still a whole lot more being offered than running to find the next MacGuffin that will prepare you to be the badass you need to be (or in this case outside of the villain's control) for the inevitable final showdown.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 29 - Nothing Wrong Here

Art will be up shortly.

The advance episode won't go up owing to a comedy of errors in recording over the past week, resulting in me having to record two episodes today.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
How are you able to restore your health bar to normal after Fontaine uses his plot powers to shrink it?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That serum Tea took in the previous video to this last one that made his plasmids go ballistic stopped the code yellow effect and recovered his full life bar.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 30 - The Cursed Recording Part 1

This was possibly the most ridiculous series of failures in recording I've ever had happen in my entire time LPing anything.

So I apologise, you're going to have to deal with me playing through two episodes on my lonesome. I'm very, very sorry about that.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You could have used telekenesis to get the stuff out of that room you couldn't enter, but none of that looked worth wasting EVE on.

mr_stibbons
Aug 18, 2019
In the fight outside the clinic the enemy turret was shooting the splicer in the back, and breaking the electric stun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Welp, you've made me want to bust out Bioshock again. Thanks. JERK.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There were several places where cameras and tirrets were not animating righr, not just where you pointed it out. Odd.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

UnSmith posted:

Welp, you've made me want to bust out Bioshock again. Thanks. JERK.

We do our best to get people interested in the games we play!

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

"They want us to play Bioshock Forever".

No, no, that's not right. It's Bioshock Infinite.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

And with that we're done!

Thanks very much for watching everyone. Unlike normal there won't be much of a break before our next LP which is set to be myself running through Metroid Fusion Blind and will hopefully debut on Monday, the 28th of September.

As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts on the LP overall and broadly on how you feel Bioshock lands so many years later!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Natural 20 posted:

As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts on the LP overall and broadly on how you feel Bioshock lands so many years later!

I really enjoyed this LP, since mister Tea did figure out the major plot-lines somewhat beforehand and that was a pleasure to watch.

I will say that Bioshock 1 is a worth-while game even today, even though it sort of capers off after the golf club incident. As has been discussed all throughout the LP, the game's main point (other than paying homage to System Shock 2) is to ridicule the idea of Rapture, Ryan, and how his ideal society is clearly flawed. Tea has outlined not only the many out-right physical issues with building a utopia under the sea in the 1960's, but also how inane and dumb the founding principles of Rapture were, and also how quick Ryan was to abandon his precious principles when faced with body-horror consumables becoming a business model. Fontaine is a caricature of Andrew Ryan, and Andrew Ryan himself was already a caricature of real-life objectivists like Ayn Rand, if that is even possible, so it's a bit on the nose I suppose.

I guess today, when we have so many large title games that are effectively sandboxes, it's not such a huge realization that many games, FPS included, are mechanically constraining the player to just "do objective" over and over again. I still think it's a fun play on the motif, though.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Since it came up in the discussion, I always saw the good ending of Bioshock as the player going "gently caress this city" and taking all the little sisters away to live normal, hopefully pleasant lives. Hence "They offered you the city, and you refused it." Yeah, Rapture is out there, untold power and wealth, but it isn't the choice you made.

That contrasts with the Evil Ending, where it's clear that you took over Rapture.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Woof, you guys mentioning Ogre Battle. The system that determined character promotion put together with all the secrets there and the requirements to get the best ending put together with how the game can be stingy on how to get anything done...yeah, another example of Matsuno's remarkable skill as a storyteller but even more proof that somebody needs to keep the man far away from the reins when it comes to the gameplay.

I didn't play this game but I went into this LP knowing most of the plot twists because I didn't have an Xbox and had no desire to get one to play this game alone so I figured, why not spoil myself rotten? And seeing the game play out in it's entirety for the first time, it's true, the game does sort of lose the plot as soon as it hits you over the head with plot and the Objectivism setting is just secondary. It's window dressing, but at the same time it's cool that someone made a video game about the ridiculous batshit excuse for a philosophy that Ayn Rand poo poo out her rear end and as video gamey as an underwater city with mutants sounds, it actually sounds at home in her generally silly stories with overpowered heroes and caricatured villains. On the other hand, this is very much an in the know sort of thing where if you don't know much about her, you generally won't get it, and that still doesn't matter in the end to enjoying the game, as mentioned before, it's window dressing, and with all the different sorts of nonsense she concocted, if they were willing to go all the way sci-fi with an underwater utopia, they could have easily skewered some of her more ridiculous beliefs, and holy gently caress are those worth looking into. Here's a preview: She lionized a literal serial killer, believed that women were meant by nature to be ruled by men, and that anyone who would go out of their way to help others to the point of their own personal suffering so that others would be better off is a weak willed parasite.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see you do Infinite at some point; most of the division surrounding it is due to the story, though. Gameplay-wise it's a definite improvement.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Shitenshi posted:

Woof, you guys mentioning Ogre Battle. The system that determined character promotion put together with all the secrets there and the requirements to get the best ending put together with how the game can be stingy on how to get anything done...yeah, another example of Matsuno's remarkable skill as a storyteller but even more proof that somebody needs to keep the man far away from the reins when it comes to the gameplay.

Ogre battle is happening after Metroid Fusion. I've successfully made what i call 20patch which is a broad rebalance of the game and I've figured out how to change character names so that we can customise our army and name them after goons.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I'm glad I watched this LP. I'd never actually played Bioshock (or seen it played) before but it's one of those cultural touchstones, I guess. Its meta commentary is a bit dated after free-roamers became the big AAA genre, and it's also undercut by the fact that you are playing exactly the same after being freed in-story as before; you just have a different voice in your ear.

My main takeaway, though, is that I can see angels dancing in the sky.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bremen posted:

That contrasts with the Evil Ending, where it's clear that you took over Rapture.

If you take over Rapture, what is there to take over? A failed city with nothing but crazies left? A Kingdom of Nothing

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you take over Rapture, what is there to take over? A failed city with nothing but crazies left? A Kingdom of Nothing

A kingdom of superpowered crazies you control with pheromones. There's a reason Fontaine wanted it.

Natural 20 posted:

Ogre battle is happening after Metroid Fusion. I've successfully made what i call 20patch which is a broad rebalance of the game and I've figured out how to change character names so that we can customise our army and name them after goons.

Oh wow, I have such nostalgia for Ogre Battle, and was recently playing it on my SNES Classic. I'm really looking forward to see what you do with it and how the balance patch works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Bremen posted:

A kingdom of superpowered crazies you control with pheromones. There's a reason Fontaine wanted it.

And do what with bunch of of superpowered crazies? Become a pirate lord in the middle of the Atlantic?

Some logistic issues there