Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
The setting of Rapture is heavily inspired by a book. I don't think it's a spoiler, as the game assumes you may have read the book and it only really relates to the initial setting, but I'll spoiler it just to be sure.

The book Atlas Shrugged depicts a world where the Government of the US is increasingly draconian towards corporations and very wealthy individuals - though this is actually depicted as a bad thing. Rather than let the government take what they have created, the rich people run off and form their own hidden society - Galt's Gulch. Rapture is effectively the developers' own take on Galt's Gulch, though they clearly take a much less rosy view of it than the author.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

You can break the health stations if you want; they drop a first aid kit, but it means you can't use them to heal anymore.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

It really gets to me that Tea doesn't prioritise revealing critical-path sections in the hacking games.

Like, you're flipping tiles all over the place looking for the last piece you'll need when you don't even know if it's already there or not.

Or if the section he's looking for the piece for is going to be blocked, which I half expected to burn him in the last video.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Presumably in an objectivist society you have the choice to give away things for free if you wish. There's in theory no state preventing you from making bad decisions for yourself.

A major theme of Atlas Shrugged was that it's immoral to charitably give stuff to people because it's keeps them from earning it and therefor makes them weak. Or something like that, it's something I try not to think about too much and is mostly just a way for people to feel good about being assholes. It ties in with all of Ryan's ranting against "the parasite" and how people shouldn't help them.

But back to the game, Rapture is founded on Randian ideals but not lawless, so there might literally be laws against charity. Though the Little Sisters Orphanage might have gotten around that by claiming they were using them as slave labor or something, because Rapture is like that.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 8, 2020

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Gothsheep posted:

I always assumed he owned all the 'land' in Rapture and was charging everybody else through the nose for rent and utilities. One of the audio logs also mentioned something about him 'cornering the market on fish futures', and I think a lot of the plamids are marked as being Ryan Industries.

Honestly that's the kind of thing you can't think too hard about, because if you start to ask 'wait, if they aren't allowed to import anything from the surface, then where are all the factories that make their toilet paper and wine bottles and t-shirts?' the entire premise of the game falls apart.

Isn't that a major plot point (I think already revealed, but spoilered to be safe) that After Fontaine's death, Ryan took over his plasmid business, which angered a lot of people off since he was being completely hypocritical? I remember an audiolog of a guy telling Ryan he needed to set it up as a trust for Fontaine's heir and another with Ryan talking himself into keeping it, but I'm not sure if Tea heard it. So yeah, Ryan becomes the thing he claims to hate.

Also one where the designer who created the park complained about how they made this nice park and then Ryan started selling tickets to it. So he becomes the uber-renter, which I'd call a parasite but I suspect most renters disagree.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

I think the "surprise" worked better in the time period the game came out. Back then arbitrary fetch quests were pretty much just what games did, and a player was less likely to question it; playing through immediately after launch, I could tell something was up by the mind control angle never occurred to me because I was so used to video game protagonists, well, acting mind controlled.

These days there are lots of games that have meta-commentary on that aspect, or at least try hard to disguise how you're being forced into following a linear story. So I suspect it's more obvious to even a blind player that things are being weird.

VictualSquid posted:

You do some dumb things. For example you stab a massive syringe with unidentified chemicals into your arm, and you assist sever crazy guys in their last "artwork". But I don't remember the code-phrase being used there.

I always assumed the first plasmid injection was part of the mind control, though I don't think you actually hear the "would you kindly" for it.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Since it came up in the discussion, I always saw the good ending of Bioshock as the player going "gently caress this city" and taking all the little sisters away to live normal, hopefully pleasant lives. Hence "They offered you the city, and you refused it." Yeah, Rapture is out there, untold power and wealth, but it isn't the choice you made.

That contrasts with the Evil Ending, where it's clear that you took over Rapture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If you take over Rapture, what is there to take over? A failed city with nothing but crazies left? A Kingdom of Nothing

A kingdom of superpowered crazies you control with pheromones. There's a reason Fontaine wanted it.

Natural 20 posted:

Ogre battle is happening after Metroid Fusion. I've successfully made what i call 20patch which is a broad rebalance of the game and I've figured out how to change character names so that we can customise our army and name them after goons.

Oh wow, I have such nostalgia for Ogre Battle, and was recently playing it on my SNES Classic. I'm really looking forward to see what you do with it and how the balance patch works.