Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

For the record that Spec Ops "you can choose to stop playing" is out of context AND said by one guy who was fond of jerking off about how genius his game was. It was in the context of "there's a lot of ways people can respond to this sort of thing, and if someone decided to stop playing I'd consider that a valid response", not an intended "solution". That game was a character descending into some dark places and taking the player along with him, framed as a... I think deconstruction is the right word despite its overuse... of FPS military games that have similar actions but celebrate them. In that respect Bioshock does the same thing, kind of aknowledges the meta-ness of doing stuff just because it's a quest objective, but the second part doesn't stop giving you quest objectives or expecting you to do them despite being "freed".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NGDBSS posted:

The way I like to think of Spec Ops is that it is Walker's story - but it is not your story as a player. I don't know if the writers were deliberately using Bertolt Brecht's distancing effect/Verfremdungseffekt but it's very much present.

I hadn't heard of that technique, but I agree after reading it.