Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Latest Episode

About the Game

Bioshock is a 2007 first person shooter game that was developed by 2K Boston Games. Set in the fictional underwater city of Rapture, Bioshock gained fame and critical acclaim for its immersive environment, responsive gameplay and philosophical underpinnings that weren’t considered common at the time.

Bioshock is widely considered to be one of the most influential games of all time, with many subsequent games taking cues from it in their incorporation of environmental storytelling as well as items such as audio logs to situate a player in the game world.

Over time Bioshock has generated enthusiastic discussion with some people claiming that more than a decade on, it does not hold up to the lofty praise it generated on its release, whilst others vehemently defend the game for having vision beyond its years.

What can be said is that few games can claim to have been studied as deeply as Bioshock and fewer still can claim to have directly influenced so many aspects of popular culture.

About The LP

My best friend and partner in crime Yorkshire Tea will be taking the helm for this video LP. He has never played Bioshock or its sequels and is going in almost as blind as is reasonably possible for a person in 2020.

I will have the pleasure of acting as co-pilot, pointing out interesting areas and hopefully guiding Tea along well enough to keep the LP going at a steady pace.

Art, so the title and episode cards, will be handled by the amazing Bifauxnen.

I personally am most interested in Tea’s reaction to certain ideas in the game around moral choice as well as important narrative shifts through the game in an attempt to answer the question of whether they do, in fact, hold up.

There are more questions and more ideas that I’ll want to explore as Tea plays further into the game, but for now, I think it’s best to get to the matter at hand.

Episodes will release on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 23:00 BST, 18:00 EST.

Episodes

Links

The LP Beach Cross Post Thread - In case you don't feel comfortable posting on the SA forums or need to view this outside of a paywall.

Our Patreon! - In case you want to support our LPs and see episodes early!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, this should be fun. I do wince every time I see a controller prompt, though.

Tea complained mightily about not being able to use Mouse and Keyboard, but it's an unfortunate problem of the way that we record.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
This is the Remaster being played on PC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bookthief posted:

Prepare for the protagonist's wrists to be horribly abused. The explanation of the great chain doesn't really ever occur in-game. Out of curiosity is this a playthrough of the whole series or just Bioshock 1?

Just Bioshock 1 for the moment. But Tea hasn't played Infinite either and so if he enjoys this we'll certainly consider going through that.

I've not played Bioshock 2 myself so I'd be reluctant to LP that game if only because of aimless wandering time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bookthief posted:

missed those audio logs. I'd also chime in the audio logs are pretty good, and the environmental storytelling in the game in general is great. Adding another person to the request for subtitles, the audio in this game can be rather finicky for dialogue between various splicers or wandering characters.

Of course! Subtitles will show in episode 4 since episode 1-3 is a batch.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sorry for the slightly late release!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 15, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Tea informs me that this is revenge for everything I put him through with Super Metroid.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

chitoryu12 posted:

Tea is currently a very short distance into the game. My last run of it, where I did try to find everything, took 12 hours. There's also a ton of context to what's going on in the audio logs, many of which I think he's missing.

Yeah we're necessarily going to miss logs as part of the nature of the playthrough. It's fine and honestly the incomplete picture of what's happened in Rapture that Tea's going to get from them is, I think, part of the charm.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Tiggum posted:

This is 100% why I never played more than about 5 minutes of this game. I've played games that make less sense than this, but they at least gave a justification for why the protagonist was doing what they were doing. This game gives you loving nothing. Right from the start it's "you're doing random poo poo for no reason". Even after all these years and hearing about the "themes" and whatever, this game makes no loving sense at all. It's in this bizarre no-man's-land between games with no story where you just do what you do because it's all you can do and games where your character is defined and your actions are supposed to make sense; in this game you have a character and there is a story but you just do the thing because it's all the game mechanics let you do. It's literally the worst of both worlds and it's juts... loving... nothing? What the gently caress?

I'll suggest continuing to watch more than anything. The game earned high praise and from my perspective it's for good reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

chitoryu12 posted:

"I never played more than 5 minutes because it didn't justify what I was doing" is possibly the single stupidest take on BioShock that has ever been made. Like that is honestly spectacular. The unicorn of bad takes.

Chill on this. People are allowed to comment on how much or little they played and whatever their experience is is legit.

If someone didn't buy in in the first five minutes that's a fair experience, I know I've given up on some games in that time as well.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Honestly one of the most interesting things we've observed through our LPs is how LPing itself changes a game.

It's a double edged sword in a lot of ways. With XCOM 2 we very rapidly got better at the game because internalising turn based mechanics and ideas is easier when you have a week to think about it.

But equally internalising controls is much harder because you're just not playing frequently enough. And you're correct in that if you're having difficulty with basic control, it's often really difficult to absorb other information.

If you go back and look at Super Metroid, the moment I start struggling with the screw attack I get just noticeably worse at all other aspects of the game.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Presumably in an objectivist society you have the choice to give away things for free if you wish. There's in theory no state preventing you from making bad decisions for yourself.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
An actually interesting youtube comment notes that part of the idea behind Sander Cohen is that he is actually a complete hack. The only reason he's celebrated in Rapture is because they're so starved for actual entertainment in their objectivist hell under the sea.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Apologies for the delay. Youtube copyright is so fun.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 18, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Art will be up shortly!

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Aug 20, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
There'll be a short delay on the next few episodes due to Covid concerns. Our recording day got nixed because Tea's dad had Covid symptoms and he was awaiting test results. (He's fine)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
It was very difficult to keep a straight face after his observation at the beginning of this episode. I really didn't expect that out of him which shows you how much I know.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Sorry for the delay everyone, we should be back to a regular schedule!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 14, 2020