Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chatrapati posted:

Is there more story in the instruction manual or something? As far as I can see, the main character survives a plane crash, swims to an island with shelter, and then decides to get in a weird bathysphere and and start playing with its controls. Why wouldn't you just wait for help? His first instinct to beat up a man rather than talk him down is really weird too, and then as soon as he sees a needle full of unknown fluid he injects himself! :stare: I really feel like there's something missing in the beginning of the story that we've missed.

I've never played this game either, but I remember it being popular. The only thing I know about it (other than the first episode of this Let's Play) is that people complained that it wasn't as good as System Shock, which I also haven't played.
This is 100% why I never played more than about 5 minutes of this game. I've played games that make less sense than this, but they at least gave a justification for why the protagonist was doing what they were doing. This game gives you loving nothing. Right from the start it's "you're doing random poo poo for no reason". Even after all these years and hearing about the "themes" and whatever, this game makes no loving sense at all. It's in this bizarre no-man's-land between games with no story where you just do what you do because it's all you can do and games where your character is defined and your actions are supposed to make sense; in this game you have a character and there is a story but you just do the thing because it's all the game mechanics let you do. It's literally the worst of both worlds and it's juts... loving... nothing? What the gently caress?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

chitoryu12 posted:

"I never played more than 5 minutes because it didn't justify what I was doing" is possibly the single stupidest take on BioShock that has ever been made. Like that is honestly spectacular. The unicorn of bad takes.
Doing stuff that makes no sense without being told why just feels like a waste of time and I don't like wasting time.

chitoryu12 posted:

"I put on what's supposed to be this loving slasher film, Psycho, and it's 30 minutes in and it's just a boring road trip drama? What the gently caress? I'm taking it back to Blockbuster."
I haven't seen Psycho so I don't know if the first 30 minutes are boring but if I start watching a movie and, half an hour in, I'm bored, then yeah, I'm going to stop watching it and do something else. I'll stop reading a book if the first chapter or two don't grab me. I'll give a TV show two or three episodes to hook me. There's way too much to do in the world to waste time on entertainment media that's not entertaining.