Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Just found this LP. I haven't fully caught up yet, but in the first few videos at least, you made Tea's life way harder than it needed to be by talking him out of using guns. Like yeah, the wrench can do the highest DPS in the game when you build for it, but especially this early on, the unnecessary damage he took by not using terrain in large fights, and the struggle to keep Eve up because he never took the easy headshots on unaware enemies made life way more difficult than it would have been if you varied your weapon depending on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The Security Decoy plasmid, or whatever the one that makes enemies trigger cameras, was my favorite way of dealing with Big Daddies. They don't notice it, so they don't turn hostile on you when you hit them with it, and even the Rosies will be whittled down by the constant swarm of security bots attacking them. Plus, if you haven't hacked the camera, the security bots don't count as friendly to you, so it's a good chance to get high-quality photos of a Big Daddy and Security Bots.

My other favorite method of fighting them is to use the Hypnotize Big Daddy plasmid to drag one of them over to fight another and watch the Daddy on Daddy brawl.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You have a much different playstyle than I did when I played this. I would go through hacking everything, especially cameras to watch my back. When I got the research camera, I went hard on research, approaching every fight with the idea of getting as many research points as possible first so I'd get the combat bonuses as fast as possible.

Also you skipped a Sister or two back in the FIshery. You really don't want to do that if you can.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Honestly one of the most interesting things we've observed through our LPs is how LPing itself changes a game.

It's a double edged sword in a lot of ways. With XCOM 2 we very rapidly got better at the game because internalising turn based mechanics and ideas is easier when you have a week to think about it.

But equally internalising controls is much harder because you're just not playing frequently enough. And you're correct in that if you're having difficulty with basic control, it's often really difficult to absorb other information.

If you go back and look at Super Metroid, the moment I start struggling with the screw attack I get just noticeably worse at all other aspects of the game.

I've noticed that Tea really does seem to be rushing through the game. I figured that was because a slower pace was generally worse for an LP, but I do think it's hurting him to not take his time, play with new weapons and plasmids and try different tactics. I mentioned earlier, but I'm constantly surprised by how little time he spends hacking cameras. For me cameras were the most important hack in the game, and not hacking that one camera caused nearly all the difficulty he had in that Peach fight.

Oh, also something you might not have noticed: Splicers will run to nearby med stations to heal when they're damaged enough. If you've hacked that med station, that might not work out for them.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I'm pretty sure you missed a weapon upgrade station when you were looking for that Houdini Splicer near the end there.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
You should probably consider using a health station before destroying it if you're not at full health. And also not destroying them until you're sure you won't need them later. A lot of your headaches towards the end of that video were from destroying first aid stations you ended up needing later.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

I'm pretty sure the Big Daddy control plasmid's description specified that it's effects are only temporary.

Fun thing about the Control Big Daddy plasmid though, is that while the Big Daddy you're controlling might go back to normal, if he's in combat when he does, the thing he's fighting won't deaggro on him. And then once they hit him again, it'll reaggro him and he'll go right back to the killing.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shitenshi posted:

This section just feels a bit superfluous. After Ryan having shown himself to be an rear end in a top hat multiple times and goading you to challenge him, it seems like the next part of the story to face off against the big man himself, not a redux of the Nazi doctor Steinman.

I agree, I never got why this section was here except to go 'But wait, more crazy assholes!' If you really wanted to extend gameplay, give us another goal that's meaningful to the story. I feel like we jumped to 'Murder Ryan right in his stupid murderable face' rather quickly anyway. Maybe make us go fight through Rapture's Doggy Daycare to go kill Ryan's dog to get its collar so we can unlock EVIL FORTRESS DOME or whatever. Just not some guy that pops in and goes, "Hey mind if I interrupt the main plot for a while?"

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Qrr posted:

Shocking is a temporary solution to cameras - if you shock them then leave them alone, after a few seconds they'll turn back on.

Hacking is a permanent solution, but so is wrenching or shooting.

It really depends on how much Pipe Dream you're willing to spend time on.

Hacking a camera creates area denial for the enemy. In a game where enemies can spawn in from basically anywhere, it can be extremely useful to have areas where you know you're covered from, and fallback positions if you need a quick escape. Hacking cameras is particularly useful because, unlike turrets, enemies won't attack the cameras themselves, making them pretty much a permanent resource once you've acquired them. They're also great for getting action shots of enemies with your research camera, and I mentioned before they're my preferred way of dealing with Big Daddies quickly and cleanly.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I always assumed he owned all the 'land' in Rapture and was charging everybody else through the nose for rent and utilities. One of the audio logs also mentioned something about him 'cornering the market on fish futures', and I think a lot of the plamids are marked as being Ryan Industries.

Honestly that's the kind of thing you can't think too hard about, because if you start to ask 'wait, if they aren't allowed to import anything from the surface, then where are all the factories that make their toilet paper and wine bottles and t-shirts?' the entire premise of the game falls apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Yeah, it's almost like objectivism is a load of hypocritical bullshit. Weird, right?

To be fair, given that this was written as a critique of objectivisim, that comes off as a little scarecrow-ish. Not that I support Objectivism (I actually know next to nothing about it) but Bioshock ain't exactly an impartial look at the subject matter.