Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I figured the hacked robot would just be a fragile unhelpful NPC that would serve as cannon fodder at best, but I did not expect to see it bust out a machine gun and go GTA on those nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Ayn Rand's philosophy is ripe for mockery, both on a moral level as well as in terms of it's own lack of philosophical rigor, so the whole X-Men LARPers leading to civiliaztion's collapse angle is more or less an accurate jab at her capitalist ubermenschen whose only real virtue was their callous ruthlessness, but lumping in changing your gender with that line of parody, or even with the idea of changing your race, which actually has received a good amount of scrutiny and is nowhere near the same as the topic of transgender people? Yeah, some things in this game have not aged well.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Considering how different the hacking sections are from the main gameplay as well as the time limit, I can only begin to imagine they were one of the few things that were universally panned amidst all the praise this game had when it came out. Also, they could have tried to be less offensive with the Korean mad scientist recording. Guy practically came off like the main guy from Despicable Me, and I don't think flat out villains like the objectivists Ryan or Steinman, or even that Nazi woman, ever talked like that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm honestly surprised the Big Daddies are as small as they are. The promotional art made them out to look absolutely gigantic. Maybe it's just that they're supposed to look big compared to the little girls they protect, but still, I was at least expecting something taller than the rest of the genetically coked out residents of this objectivist utopia. I was also going to say that it's kind of silly and impractical that Steinman can take full on rounds of gunfire and still cackle on as usual, but he must have really juiced himself up with super serum.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I think the second Big Daddy that Tea tangled with in the last video before this one was a different model than the first so I figured they all didn't fight the same, but I didn't think that long range attackers would be arriving this early.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I can definitely understand the frustration. Between how weak your own gunfire seems in comparison to your enemies' rounds as opposed to just wrenching the poo poo out of everything, and the samey enemy design of rambling weirdos in trenchcoats, it seems like some of the atmosphere and worldbuilding can only go so far. I remember SMT: Nocturne was a trippy blast of a game until I reached Matador, then part of the story seemed to lose its luster until that roadblock was cleared.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That one security turret you can pay twenty dollars to just deactivate right then and there seems like a counterproductive strategy in business and design, but hey, this is Objectivism. Between being extremely secretive as to who he is, barking orders down your throat, being open to sucking the souls out of literal children, and constantly bringing up a family that he hasn't even given names for, I'm starting to think that Atlas really is up to something. And frickin lawl at Ryan's real name. The real name of his actual counterpart, Ayn Rand, was Alisa Rosenbaum, but who knows what the hell actually possessed her to take on a supervillain name that sounds like something spoken by the minions of Cthulhu. Reality is stranger than fiction.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 25, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I think the Andrei part is a reference to Ayn Rand coming from Russia. Changing (or rather anglicizing) your name to fit in better in society wasn't exactly uncommon among European expats in America.
As for the name choice, yeah, weird. Andrew Ryan, however, seems to have gone through exactly that process.

I figured that. I'm just saying that Andrew Ryan is actually a normal name for a person to take up, whereas Ayn Rand doesn't sound anything American or anything else in the real world for that matter. In an underwater city filled with people toking off on superhuman enhancements, they still haven't quite captured the exquisite batshit levels that Objectivism is capable of, though that is not a complaint. A video game actually portraying Objectivism and its "heroes" in any capacity would probably be mistaken for some gritty antihero stuff in today's world given all that it entails.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know if I missed something but those alarms do seem to go off way too often. Is there some way to anticipate them or some trigger that's extremely obvious which Tea is missing? If not, I can definitely understand getting sick of that sort of nonsense, especially after getting through some tight spots and then going to a new area, only to deal with the same trouble and loud mouthed genetic druggies coming at you no holds barred.

Also, "this game is trying to make a point, but I don't know what." Objectivism in a nutshell. I'm am surprised to see that Ryan is both actually alive, and he took the trouble to contact the protag or even knows of his existence. I figured a high and mighty rear end in a top hat like that would be the first to go when civilization goes all Darwin on each other.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 28, 2020

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Atlas was sorta kinda encouraging you to harvest literal children so you can become stronger, and there's posters around town comparing him to John Galt, Ayn Rand's most obnoxious author avatar. If he is full of it, whatever good that comes from killing Ryan is offset that this is probably a competition between two rear end in a top hat Sith Lords. Even that guy who wanted to take that girl to Arcadia joked in his own little way that she probably had STDs, and that woman who confronted Ryan showed complete subservience to the guy despite this being a place for freethinkers, because horror of horrors, she didn't have a job. Those Little Sisters are the only decent people around here.

Also, minor point of trivia, this game definitely came out before Portal. I remember seeing the Orange Box on commercials in late 07, and that was when I started to hear about Portal. Bioshock on the other hand had been the high talk all over before that.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
That splicer at the beginning is the most realistic enemy so far. She's not teleporting around with magic or a damage sponge, she went down in two shots and was carrying potato chips and a screwdriver, though I am surprised that guy in a suit actually went down to a headshot just because of video game rules and all that. And Atlas is still inconsistent and shady, but now I don't think I'd object to going out of your way to kill Ryan if only because the guy has proven himself to be an abject son of a bitch, as opposed to anything the untrustworthy tutorial fairy is saying.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The writers really did their research on an Ayn Rand themed game, mentioning "engraved invitation." Boy howdy, is that a horrifying little subject about Ayn Rand's work, although nowhere near that time she lionized a real life serial killer who tortured and dismembered a little girl. Makes me realize that latter bit is the inspiration for the Little Sisters.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know if it was said yet, and a good number of you are probably thinking the same thing, but judging by that previous video when you were constantly getting poor scoring closeup shots of that Big Daddy just walking around whereas you got way better scores for photos in combat no matter the distance, and the way you were taking high scoring photos of splicers when you were fighting them as opposed to just their corpses, I'm guessing that's the secret to being a better photographer.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I'm pretty sure the Big Daddy control plasmid's description specified that it's effects are only temporary. And that shotgun is pretty badass. Reminds me of the musket in GTA V. A long reload time, but the power behind every shot makes it so worth it, though by the time you can get that game's weapon, there are way better guns out there.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
This section just feels a bit superfluous. After Ryan having shown himself to be an rear end in a top hat multiple times and goading you to challenge him, it seems like the next part of the story to face off against the big man himself, not a redux of the Nazi doctor Steinman.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Yeah, Ayn Rand's cult in real life was also heavily into smoking simply because she liked smoking. To the point that even when it became common knowledge that smoking increased the chances of lung cancer, she still kept on doing it, and I think she looked down on people who didn't smoke. And I'm seriously surprised you didn't try and just auto hack the Spanish language Circus of Values. With a difficulty like that, I was expecting trouble, but yeesh, didn't think it would be that bad.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So constantly shooting photos of that Little Sister is enough to aggro a Big Daddy? Since you weren't taking shots at him or his companion before.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Do you get anything out of all that hacking? I've noticed a few times that you've hacked security cameras and there's no enemies around to use them on, especially now that you can go invisible and wait it out. Is it necessary to hack the security cameras to get them off your back, or do they eventually respawn awhile after you shock them?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So if you don't raid those corpses outside Ryan's office, does he still taunt you and call you a parasite? And the "solution" to get into his office sounds like something made for strategy guides/FAQ writers.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Spec Ops made sense from a storytelling perspective to deconstruct the American mythmaking and macho militarism in FPS games. You weren't tethered on some leash, you were simply witnessing the storyline, The other thing is that you do get a legitimate in-game choice at the end of it after the plot twist, dark and limited though it may be, which reflects the overall storyline and the themes there. I'm not talking about the developer comment whether to stop playing, I mean the choice you really do get which determines the ending, and has meaning both in terms of the storyline as well as reflecting the player's reaction to the story.

On the other hand, Ryan is a legitimate fucknut and everything here has shown you've got well beyond good reasons to ice him, even with all the foreshadowing and shady bullshit from Atlas. I'm not sure how Objectivism figures into it beyond that Ryan himself and the other unpleasant denizens of this city being who they are and what they believe, are the perfect representations of it and its myriad problems, but then again, Objectivists themselves are practically indistinguishable from any other self-righteous citizens of any other imperial city-state in fiction, whether it's a make believe society or otherwise. The other criticism to be made here is that the one choice which would seem meaningful is that you can actually spare the Little Sisters where Atlas was hell bent on getting you to harvest them. Of course denying the player a choice like that and forcing you to kill them would both reveal the plot twist if not in its entirety, then at least build up such a burgeoning hatred towards Atlas that the reveal of him as a villain when confronting Ryan is obvious, and given the particular foundation of hatred built for Atlas most people would have, the backstory of Ryan playing a part in making the Little Sisters established by those tapes would make killing him that much more satisfying.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So what happened at the end there with that Big Daddy? It looks like it clipped awkwardly with the rest of the environment and was glitched into low health. And was that a dead Little Sister next to it?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Coming to the underwater city of Rapture while slowly learning about it's history and it's inhabitants and being guided in the unknown of it all by a total stranger whose aims are a complete mystery only to realize it's being ruled by a self-righteous deluded Objectivist megalomaniac like Ryan where it turns out that your helpful guide was even worse than him, I can see what this game was going for with the mystique and ludonarrative angle. But Fontaine's constant villain monologues are ruining all of that and it's disappointing to see this game become a one note story of kill the villain. Sure that was mostly the first half too, yet there was still a whole lot more being offered than running to find the next MacGuffin that will prepare you to be the badass you need to be (or in this case outside of the villain's control) for the inevitable final showdown.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
How are you able to restore your health bar to normal after Fontaine uses his plot powers to shrink it?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Woof, you guys mentioning Ogre Battle. The system that determined character promotion put together with all the secrets there and the requirements to get the best ending put together with how the game can be stingy on how to get anything done...yeah, another example of Matsuno's remarkable skill as a storyteller but even more proof that somebody needs to keep the man far away from the reins when it comes to the gameplay.

I didn't play this game but I went into this LP knowing most of the plot twists because I didn't have an Xbox and had no desire to get one to play this game alone so I figured, why not spoil myself rotten? And seeing the game play out in it's entirety for the first time, it's true, the game does sort of lose the plot as soon as it hits you over the head with plot and the Objectivism setting is just secondary. It's window dressing, but at the same time it's cool that someone made a video game about the ridiculous batshit excuse for a philosophy that Ayn Rand poo poo out her rear end and as video gamey as an underwater city with mutants sounds, it actually sounds at home in her generally silly stories with overpowered heroes and caricatured villains. On the other hand, this is very much an in the know sort of thing where if you don't know much about her, you generally won't get it, and that still doesn't matter in the end to enjoying the game, as mentioned before, it's window dressing, and with all the different sorts of nonsense she concocted, if they were willing to go all the way sci-fi with an underwater utopia, they could have easily skewered some of her more ridiculous beliefs, and holy gently caress are those worth looking into. Here's a preview: She lionized a literal serial killer, believed that women were meant by nature to be ruled by men, and that anyone who would go out of their way to help others to the point of their own personal suffering so that others would be better off is a weak willed parasite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I don't know how accurate this statement is since I've never played this game, but apparently the difference between harvesting and saving the Little Sisters becomes a lot more apparent on hard mode since enemies can take a lot more punishment.