Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Atlas's voice is terrible, but even so far I think the Little Sisters' voice is pretty much perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Not everything here is supposed to be bad. I'm pretty sure that line's supposed to show descent from "not at all unreasonable" to "batshit insane"/

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The funny thing is that one of the female splicers was babbling about a minister for a wedding earlier.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I almost forgot - I mentioned earlier that the voice work for the Little Sisters is very good. The anguished cries when you kill "Mr. Bubbles" is particularly good - it always hits me right in the feels.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One tactic I liked for the Big Daddies was to use the hypnotize plasmid while all the splicers were still around. They're not great at taking out splicers, but they will take damage.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Hacking the shops is usually worth doing as well.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Tiggum posted:

This is 100% why I never played more than about 5 minutes of this game. I've played games that make less sense than this, but they at least gave a justification for why the protagonist was doing what they were doing. This game gives you loving nothing. Right from the start it's "you're doing random poo poo for no reason". Even after all these years and hearing about the "themes" and whatever, this game makes no loving sense at all. It's in this bizarre no-man's-land between games with no story where you just do what you do because it's all you can do and games where your character is defined and your actions are supposed to make sense; in this game you have a character and there is a story but you just do the thing because it's all the game mechanics let you do. It's literally the worst of both worlds and it's juts... loving... nothing? What the gently caress?

This is addressed, believe it or not.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Am I wrong, or did you miss a gift at the Gatherer's Garden?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I liked it. Gave it a fun feel.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Finally, Tea's insane hacking style bit him in the posterior. I've been expecting that this entire LP.

Apart from that, I expected the Big Daddy to take a bad hit when you mined the oil slick, but not nearly that bad.

((Also, your "LP Beach" thread link goes here instead of the other forum))

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

Man that part is just so dumb.
Ryan clearly assumes that killing him is so inconceivable that it is the worst thing anybody can be made to do. And considering the way the scene is presented the developers seem to assume that you would want a choice to spare him.

So, I haven't been paying really close attention to the game despite intending to. So can someone tell me if there is any point in the game where you are forced by the code-phrase to do something you wouldn't normally do?

You do some dumb things. For example you stab a massive syringe with unidentified chemicals into your arm, and you assist sever crazy guys in their last "artwork". But I don't remember the code-phrase being used there.

I think the intent was different. The player (almost inevitably) wants to kill Ryan, and they deliberately rob you of that to underscore the entire amoral power play. Then the next part of the game is built around you gaining the freedom to choose your fate.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That's pretty explicit - he goes straight from "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU AND PIN YOU TO MY WALL AS A TROPHY" to "I could never harm you, but you disappoint me so". Which is probably why they explained the Vita-Chambers being coded for Ryan only just before the encounter. They were giving you one more big clue (in case you were stupid or had missed the other ones) needed to help you understand that the Vita-Chambers worked for you because you're actually Andrew Ryan's son.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I find it morbidly hilarious that you looted food items from all three of the poisoned children in that setpiece you blew up.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

You could have used telekenesis to get the stuff out of that room you couldn't enter, but none of that looked worth wasting EVE on.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

There were several places where cameras and tirrets were not animating righr, not just where you pointed it out. Odd.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One thing that I don't think was pointed out in the videos is that the game's Great Moral Choice is fundamentally broken. You have the option to harvest or save the Little Sisters, but there is no reason whatsoever to harvest them. Note that Tea was more gated by the slots than he was by available ADAM, and those are progression restricted.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Either more, or close to the same amount .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I played on Hard mode when I went through this game, and my experience was that ADAM became less important, not more, because the plasmids became much more useless.