Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, this should be fun. I do wince every time I see a controller prompt, though.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how Tea's take on the story - "this is too dumb to not be a set-up" - makes so much more sense, though I suspect he hasn't met many IRL objectivists.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 14, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the sweater explains the electricity powers.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

mr_stibbons posted:

Also using the pile of armour piercing pistol rounds you have been saving up on the big daddies?
I think this is the important part - Tea's got a load of AP rounds, proximity mines, exploding shotgun ammo, he just doesn't seem to have noticed he can swap ammo types.

The tip about throwing corpses is a good one: I found Telekinesis to be the best combat plasmid in the game due to how incredibly versatile it is. It can also grab some non-obvious projectiles in addition to the grenades you get told about. And it can, naturally, be used to completely clown the grenade-throwing Big Daddies.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Shitenshi posted:

And frickin lawl at Ryan's real name. The real name of his actual counterpart, Ayn Rand, was Alisa Rosenbaum, but who knows what the hell actually possessed her to take on a supervillain name that sounds like something spoken by the minions of Cthulhu. Reality is stranger than fiction.
I think the Andrei part is a reference to Ayn Rand coming from Russia. Changing (or rather anglicizing) your name to fit in better in society wasn't exactly uncommon among European expats in America.
As for the name choice, yeah, weird. Andrew Ryan, however, seems to have gone through exactly that process.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
So, those spider splicer hooks? A pretty good TK projectile.

I love the timing of the arrow disappearing just as Tea was trashtalking it. You hurt its feelings, man.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Gothsheep posted:

I agree, I never got why this section was here except to go 'But wait, more crazy assholes!' If you really wanted to extend gameplay, give us another goal that's meaningful to the story.
I think it's just another approach on the "why are you just follopwing all those stupid orders" theme the game has. With Atlas and Ryan, there's at least some (currently) vague reasoning to go along with them: revenge, being grateful for Atlas helping you out at the start, stuff like that - stuff you can justify. Cohen, though? You're doing his - rather horrible - errands even though your character has no reason to; it shows the player can unquestioningly (mostly, and I'm really glad Tea has been pointing out this issue with the story since the beginning) obey arbitrary orders because they just want to progress in the game.

It also engages with objectivism and its approach to rules while thankfully not trying to defend it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Aug 15, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
20 episodes in, Tea buys his first plasmid slots!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I kinda wonder whether Tea's occassionally-totally-on-point observations are him watching out for obvious clichés or having absorbed the impact Bioshock had on storytelling in other games.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Qrr posted:

Huh, Ryan really does seem like a parasite.
Yeah, it's almost like objectivism is a load of hypocritical bullshit. Weird, right?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Still makes more sense than Atlas Shrugged.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I love how Tea's parallel universes theory accidentally figured out a plot point in another Bioshock game. Or did he play Infinite?

NGDBSS posted:

The way I like to think of Spec Ops is that it is Walker's story - but it is not your story as a player. I don't know if the writers were deliberately using Bertolt Brecht's distancing effect/Verfremdungseffekt but it's very much present.
Is it, though? I think this would be much more difficult to achieve in an interactive medium, where the identification of the player with the character whose actions they decide on some level (even if its just choosing which waist-high wall to duck behind) feels much stronger.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 8, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to see you do Infinite at some point; most of the division surrounding it is due to the story, though. Gameplay-wise it's a definite improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
What can I say, I just love skyrails that much.