Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
It's been interesting finding out how many people are still unspoiled on Bioshock.

Natural 20 posted:

An actually interesting youtube comment notes that part of the idea behind Sander Cohen is that he is actually a complete hack. The only reason he's celebrated in Rapture is because they're so starved for actual entertainment in their objectivist hell under the sea.

That and Ryan likes, or liked, his work. That's also why Rapture is so Art Deco even though that style was on the way out before WW2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

20 episodes in, Tea buys his first plasmid slots!

The challenge run is over.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Still working my way through the backlog. I'm up to episode 12, and Youtube's auto-generated subtitles thought Natural 20 said "Obama's Market" when he said "Farmer's Market".

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gothsheep posted:

To be fair, given that this was written as a critique of objectivisim, that comes off as a little scarecrow-ish. Not that I support Objectivism (I actually know next to nothing about it) but Bioshock ain't exactly an impartial look at the subject matter.

How does one create an impartial look at a subject whose creator wrote about how a serial killer was the embodiment of her philosophy?

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Only a few episodes behind now. I can't express how overjoyed I am that Tea is taking a lot more pictures.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm worried about this talk about not needing to take pictures anymore. It's almost as bad as Geop not picking up heart containers in Wind Waker.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I never finished 2, but the gameplay was a lot better, I’d also recommend LPing it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

mr_stibbons posted:

This game a weird relationship with Ryan. Despite all the terrible things he does it always lionizes him a bit, respecting him for his "will" and "intellectual integrity" and other bullshit. There's also the niggling notion that Atlas being secretly a self serving criminal instead of an actual champion of the people implies that everything in Rapture was just fine and dandy before the Bad Man did Bad Things.

Annecdotally, I've seen several people come off this game thinking objectivisim is rad, which is all that really needs to be said about it's function of a critique of the easiest target possible.

The funny thing about Fontaine is that he's a better Objectivist than Ryan because he doesn't care about creating an ideologically appropriate utopia to demonstrate the virtues of selfishness, he just wants to take power and doesn't care about property rights or the Non-Aggression Principle. And him using charity to advance his political interests is exactly what every rich person uses charity for, only instead of justifying lower tax rates and garnering favorable news coverage Fontaine was creating an army of mutant guerrillas.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Gnoman posted:

I find it morbidly hilarious that you looted food items from all three of the poisoned children in that setpiece you blew up.

It fits in with Tea's slug looting from the Little Sisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I remember a video saying that Rapture was technologically possible to build with what was available at the time but I can't track it down.

Gnoman posted:

Either more, or close to the same amount .

You get more ADAM by harvesting but between the Big Daddy plasmid and the other stuff you unlock I don't know what it actually works out to.