Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

10 Limestone

An expedition from the mountainhomes has arrived, leading a caravan.

13 Limestone
We have come to an agreement on goods from this outpost, to give us some direction in the next year.

14 Limestone

We have purchased an immense variety of food and drink from the caravan, along with some bars of metal and a bit of wood.

23 Limestone

More migrants have arrived to use up the food and drink that was just purchased. Typical.

idhrendur's younger sister, megane, is a talented bard and poet, but we have room for no more of those at this time. She has been assigned to help smooth the new temple

Zore's younger sister, Baiwyd, is effectively worthless, with no skills other than a spattering of poetry picked up from megane in their travels. She will become part of our military, although we do not have any weapons to spare.

Baiwyd's husband, Verbal, is legendary at the art of threshing. This means, of course, that he is absloutely bloody useless. Since we have so many recently purchased mushrooms and fruits, I will have him start brewing up what he can. After that, he can join his wife in the military

Viola The Mad is also trained only in the musical arts. I'm sure I will find a use for her, though I can't yet think of any.

1 Moonstone

Winter has come, but I am now more comfortable about our situation. As yet we have no farming, but the good trading has swelled our stockpiles, and the new well will do much to alleviate fears of thirst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gnoman posted:

13 Limestone
We have come to an agreement on goods from this outpost, to give us some direction in the next year.

I didn't know that windows were a thing. Can you place them in your fortress so you can see from one room into another? Disclaimer: I have never played this game

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

An eerily calm start to the fort. I appreciate this.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

u brexit ukip it posted:

I didn't know that windows were a thing. Can you place them in your fortress so you can see from one room into another? Disclaimer: I have never played this game

You can indeed. You can even with a bit of fuckery make them out of stone, but dwarves will still see through them and get traumatised by whatever is on the other side.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Verbal would like a silver war scythe to rend foes with

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Most of the military are spare musicians. I cannot foresee any issues at all arising from this.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Can't have a good dwarven militia if not at least one guy know how to play the otapbhi, smdh

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I can take a turn but not until the beginning of August, so some else should probably go in the mean time.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Ooo, the traders are offering almost double price for figurines. That's really good, if we can get any craftsdwarf workshop (ideally stone) set up then we can start crafting those for big profit. Amulets as well if we can get metal production going in sufficient amounts, but obviously industry and military usually take first priority.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Unless anything has changed, a craftdwarfs workshop can produce any kind of craft (save metal), you just have to set a dwarf with the appropriate skill to work it.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's time, to dorf

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

What is the graphical patch you are using? It makes DF look almost appealing.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Looks like Phoebus to me.

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Oh boy, I'm useless *and* I have a great husband! How exciting!

Captain Aardvark
Dec 28, 2008

Ooh, I love DF. Dwarf me up please. This is going to be fun

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
I just started reading Boatmurdered and holy poo poo, what a game. I don't know how you're coordinating any of this but I just signed up to oversee so I look forward to leading these fine dwarves to riches, glory, and most likely avoidable death.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Make me a dewrf please

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

15 Obsidian

An additional cavern layer has been discovered, well above the one we had already found. Our exploration shaft must have missed it completely.

1 Granite, 552

Spring has arrived, and with it my term of rulership. For my successors, I will provide an overview of our settlement.

Here is our main entrance, a deep shaft into the earth and a ramp headed downward. It would be reasonable, even wise, to roof this or place a tower on it. For now, it will do. You can see the detrius from our first depot here, and a few basic workshops - a butchery, a tannery, and a kitchen. The entrance to our exploration shafts is a weakness, and I have ordered it sealed.

Here is the main level of our fortress - here you can see the new depot, and the stockpiles for our meagre workshops. Our still-spartan All-Gods Temple is visible on the right. Our well, to the left, is an ideal place to branch new tunnels off of, and you can see a ramp down to the new bedrooms near the booze stockpile.

One level up are our current workshops and tavern. The open concept gives a good view of the corridors below, and allows our revelers to watch our great works of craftsdwarfship.

Far below, I have begun to make efforts to tap the magma far below. This will be suitable for a few forges, but is too remote for any great use.

This is where the magma work area will be. Tapping the magma will be a bit risky, but I anticipate no casualties.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Gnoman posted:

This is where the magma work area will be. Tapping the magma will be a bit risky, but I anticipate no casualties.
Optimism? In a Dwarf Fortress LP?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Optimism is the source of the best DF LPs.

cambrian obelus
Sep 14, 2010

I've never seen a French woman before!
Soiled Meat
Dorf me, can't wait to see how useless I can be.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

I keep fogretting to reply to these posts, but the dwarfing list is a google spreadsheet linked in the OP. Add your name to that.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

7th of Granite, 551

News has come of Gnoman's project, the breaching of the magma pits, finally reaching its conclusion. My fellow miner, Maugrim, brings news of the king's metal, adamantine, spotted through the rolling waves of molten rock.

Why this information has been fed to me is anyone's guess. I'm no different to the other dregs of society that had been cast out towards this place. I've been a miner as long as I can remember and a loyal worker within the Mountainhomes in the time before that. We've always had a sort of camaraderie, us miners, a kind of etiquette and set of customs. It can get rather boring down in the mines, blasphemous as it may be to say that while surrounded by unhewn rock, and we sometimes get up to mischief. One day I found myself beside a new face in the mineshaft, one I hadn't seen near a pick before. I invited him to some roughhousing to pass the time. He... responded poorly. To my surprise, that stranger wasn't a miner, but a shearer hauling the pick to a stockpile somewhere. How was I to know that he had no idea about the ways of the mine? Anyway, one thing led to another and I found myself on the end of a chain. A clerical error turned assault of a miner into assault of a minor and here we are, in the frozen wastes of the world, where even mountains disappear under great sheets of snow. We dwarves have never been the kindest to our prisoners, but this seems a touch excessive to me.

14th of Granite

Evidently I am to become the overlord of this hellish place. Lucky me. I suppose it will be useful if I make copies of my journal into... whatever this is. Maybe whoever follows after me can glean some knowledge from what I write here. Perhaps instead they'll derive some entertainment from whatever mad ramblings this place might coax out of me.

Madness, it seems, hasn't deterred the elves from making the trip here, visiting to confirm stories of a 'brave glacial outpost', no doubt. Maybe these silly creatures of the forest will have something worthwhile to trade.

Reserves full of fruit and drink will prove useful in this unending winter. With coin to spare, I thought it a good idea to buy an instrument for our encampment. We have a number of performers so we may as well supply them with something with which to perform.

Elsewhere, a piglet has grown into a boar. A breeding pair of pigs may well prove useful as a source of meat and leather. With farming as yet a far-fetched fantasy, we should consolidate what food sources we have at our disposal.

9th of Slate
Zore has welcomed a child into the world, a baby girl named theshim. The child shows a keen mind, though I question if she will survive long enough to put it to use.

16th of Slate
The fog that periodically passes over the outpost concerns me somewhat. We still have no idea what this mysterious fog does. Does it instill a sense of fear and dread in those it touches, like that legendary black fog I learnt about as a child? Does it burn the flesh? Does it do no more than cause a mild fever? The question over the potency of the fog is one I can't let lie. A mule purchased from the elves is a fine test subject. The animal will be placed where the fog is known to drift. The only thing we can do from here is wait.

While the wind blows, footfalls crunch upon the snow. Lost souls trudge towards our outpost. wargames, our militia commander, records their names and stories.

McGibby, a stoneworker.

Potato Jones, a bowyer. With wood reserves almost completely absent and bones in short supply, she'll be drafted into the military to make herself useful.

Shinarato, a carpenter and a hugely impressive swordsdwarf. It should go without saying that he'll become a military man.

TQ, a peasant of little real talent. I'll have to find a hole for him to plug somewhere.

Samuel Vimes, a stonecrafter and a macedwarf. While an extra crafter is helpful, I'm more interested in his ability to defend us. If the elves have caught wind of this place, then other, more sinister entities can't be far behind.

Starblade, a glassmaker. Without sand, he's mostly useless. Another body for the military pile.

MGargantua, a spinner.

Kenning, a mason, here to ease the burden on our overworked stoneworkers.

Black Robe, a metalcrafter sure to be pleased with how the smelting facilities are growing.

Ajaxify, a doctor of some sort.

PurpleXVI, a very talented shearer hungry mouth that needs to learn a useful skill.

Araganzar, a potter and crafter. His skills with the cloth might prove useful if we manage to start a farm in the caverns.

Tinasth Ginbeard, a fisherdwarf. With the waterways now available to us, perhaps he can be of some use.

Roflex, a dwarf of few talents. I suppose she can be made into a spare engineer with some effort.

Their arrival takes our number to 33. We scarcely have the facilities to cater for half that number. Work on bedrooms and dining areas needs to be accelerated promptly.

27th of Slate
TQ's scream of fear rings out from the lowest levels of the mineshafts, where the rock and magma meet. The terrified dwarf, there only to fetch a pick with which to learn the ways of the earth, had discovered a breach in the caverns. Emerging from the gaps under the magma smelter and forges were scuttling beasts with segmented limbs. Magma crabs.

Our military, at the moment limited to a militia commander, a rookie with an axe and an unarmed recruit, rush down to deal with the threat. The first of the four goes down without issue, as does the second, wargames' skill and speed enough to overcome the crabs. Charging forth to deal with the incursion are Baiwyd and Viola the Mad. The former does well, splitting a crab in two, but the beasts fight with fire and the fury of the mountain itself. Baiwyd is nearly bisected by a blast of basalt, living long enough to see Viola the Mad crush the one of the crabs underfoot before bursting into flames. Viola showed a true dwarf's spirit in death, spitting in the face of that blasted crabs.

Baiwyd took those efforts to heart, fighting on until all of the crabs were dead, by her axe no less.

We could only find Viola's corpse once the whole ordeal was over. May they both rest easy knowing the threat has been dealt with.

25th of Felsite
Baiwyd and Viola's sacrifice paved the way for the completion of the magma centre, where Black Robe works diligently to supply the outpost with weaponry to protect itself.

Things settle into a period of peace when an odd announcement meets my ears.

Oh, nothing more than an elven priest or some such. Better her than a bunch of crabs, I suppose. Spring, so emblematic of life elsewhere, has given us our first taste of death. It will soon be summer. I can only hope that the gods will be merciful and offer us an easy time of things.

GruntMountain fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 22, 2020

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

GruntMountain posted:

Zore has welcomed a child into the world, a baby girl named theshim. The child shows a keen mind, though I question if she will survive long enough to put it to use.

This is my first time in one of these successions getting dorfed as a baby, nifty!

GruntMountain posted:

Our military, at the moment limited to a militia commander, a rookie with an axe and an unarmed recruit, rush down to deal with the threat. The first of the four goes down without issue, as does the second, wargames' skill and speed enough to overcome the crabs. Charging forth to deal with the incursion are Baiwyd and Viola the Mad. The former does well, splitting a crab in two, but the beasts fight with fire and the fury of the mountain itself. Baiwyd is nearly bisected by a blast of basalt, living long enough to see Viola the Mad crush the one of the crabs underfoot before bursting into flames. Viola showed a true dwarf's spirit in death, spitting in the face of that blasted crabs.

I love the immediate movement from "this is annoying" to dead :allears:

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

That escalated quickly.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

theshim posted:

This is my first time in one of these successions getting dorfed as a baby, nifty!

'tis but a scratch!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

GruntMountain posted:

It can get rather boring down in the mines

:dadjoke:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yay, metaldorf! Fey mood here I come. I have no aesthetic or artistic sense apparently so I'm sure I'll make something utterly magnificent.

Assuming I don't die in an amusing fashion first, obviously.

Wait, we're on a glacier with no resources, I'll just go insane because nobody can find any seashells or something. Though I do worship the creepy necromancer god, so I'm probably half way there already.

Rip Viola, we hardly knew ye.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I can't say I'm particularly surprised to walk into the Fortress and wind up finding something terrifying underground almost immediately. :v:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Those magma crabs are cute

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

please dwarf me

and then assign me to making soap even if I'm terrible at it

I loving love soap

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

theshim posted:

:emptyquote:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Haven't played DF in nearly a decade, and holy poo poo the character screens have a lot of text on them!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Tulip posted:

Mod the game so we can catch and domesticate magma crabs, please.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tulip posted:

Cute? They're heads with tiny feet and flightless wings who chitter endlessly when not spitting rocks at you

A magma crab? :iit:

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
But how do they taste?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

PurpleXVI posted:

Mod the game so we can catch and domesticate magma crabs, please.

You encounter a magma crab

>befriend magma crab

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

ChocolatePancake posted:

But how do they taste?

Poorly. Most taste buds that will get you anything complex will also be seared off by magma. Of course, they don't have to worry about getting too many diseases or about rotten meals, again because magma.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

ChocolatePancake posted:

But how do they taste?

Spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

From the journal of Gnoman Tongsrelief, 25 Felsite, 552.

I am much disquieted. Despite all the foreboding, my brief reign was uneventful. Yet no sooner had I handed over the reins that we suffered our first disasters. Was this merely fate, or was it my presence, so much stronger this time, that stabilized things. Each day I forget things, forget why I am here. Who is He, and why do I seek Him?