Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
In your adult life what’s the longest you’ve gone without using a computer?

Mine was a seven day trip to the BWCA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i once flew to nz and that took 14 hrs

pram
Jun 10, 2001
about 4 months in 2007, best i could do at the time was at a really disgusting internet cafe. i was working in the middle of nowhere and there wasnt internet so my laptop was useless otherwise

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
thanks a lot I was already depressed

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i dunno, a couple of hours maybe

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Stereotype posted:

thanks a lot I was already depressed

you should try looking at good screen for a while, op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
when I went on my honeymoon there was no internet so like 2 weeks of that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Management posted:

when I went on my honeymoon there was no internet so like 2 weeks of that

sounds bad

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Xaris posted:

i once flew to nz and that took 14 hrs

also the time you spent there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

also the time you spent there

you mean here?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

oh poo poo

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

when i'm on vacation at the shore i basically don't touch tech outside of texting to coordinate activities and grocery runs and taking pictures

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
whats the bar for entry here, tablet? Netbook, Notebook, Laptop, gaming laptop (lol), Workstation replacement, company POS dell, actual workstation?
If I remote from phone into a shell, while on vacation?

I'm needing some clarification, if I use a browser on someones pone to stop them hassling me?

I worked the past year basically loving around ha long bay, i didn't see a desktop for most of the time, it was hard.
But, I was using a smartphone for video calls almost every day.

In the two decades prior, I was using a computer between 10-16 hours per day, with the only exceptions being vacation with gf or family.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I think a laptop or desktop. Phones are pretty much a given daily no matter where someone is.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
when I went to nz I had several days of no cell phone, only able to get online and send messages and stuff when we got to the holiday park or similar.

god I wish I was there now

Lenny Nero
Apr 14, 2007

I'm the magic man...The Santa Claus of the subconscious
Probably in junior year of high school in 2000. We were required to do an outward bound experience to graduate, and the options were either 28 days in the high Sierras in the Summer or 26 days in Death Valley in the Spring. I opted to go to Death Valley given how much I hate mosquitos, and there was an added bonus of being allowed to skip finals for the Spring trimester. The downside is that we had to carry our own water and use rocks or leaves for toilet paper, but it was ~*an experience*~

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

brap posted:

when I went to nz I had several days of no cell phone, only able to get online and send messages and stuff when we got to the holiday park or similar.

god I wish I was there now

it’s winter though and it’s cold. at least it has this going for it. for now

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

i have never used a computer

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
the longest i ever slept was like 14 hours, op

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

time without touching a laptop or desktop: probably like 5 or 6 weeks while travelling

time without interacting with a device containing a microprocessor: like 12-18 hours out in the woods i guess? maybe a day with my phone off? but a digital camera would count. so would any vehicle made in the last 30 years. maybe even a quartz watch.

the longest stretch in my life would have to have been age 0 to 6 when my family got our first computer and it's all been downhill since then

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 13, 2020

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
about 15 years, op

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Suspicious posted:

the longest i ever slept was like 14 hours, op

lol if you don’t use a computer when you sleep

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

it’s winter though and it’s cold. at least it has this going for it. for now

2 degrees is pretty cold

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
probably about a week, back when i took a week-long roadtrip in 2010.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Knuc U Kinte posted:

2 degrees is pretty cold

yeah it’s below freezing op

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
I went on an 8 day cruise a couple of years ago. I got drunk and read books for the whole thing. It was great.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
books are computers because they pages like the internet

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
pic related: they are both using computers

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
about a month in 2010 when I visited my brother who was living in Sacramento at the time. I was working part time so I just took unpaid leave and I didn't even have a laptop at the time, nor a smart phone. Was nice.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i've adopted a polyphastic sleep schedule so that i never have to go an hour without computering

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
teenage years when i was too cool for that poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

pic related: they are both using computers

i don't read during takeoff anyway because i like to look out the window and marvel at how loving fast i'm going and watch as things on the ground get smaller and smaller

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Six

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
seven

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos
lol if you don't carry a rollup keyboard and a tablet with you at all times. never know when you'll need org-mode

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't read during takeoff anyway because i like to look out the window and marvel at how loving fast i'm going and watch as things on the ground get smaller and smaller

I spend that time trying not to puke and poo poo my pants out of fear.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i love gluing myself to airplane windows

i love the flights. i just hate the airport

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
a five day school hike through the wilderness from the 10th to the 14th back in 2001, i don't envy the bus driver who had to explain

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

i love gluing myself to airplane windows

i love the flights. i just hate the airport