Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

non stop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

sure

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

heaps.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i normally make it about 3 or 4 meters

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

i love gluing myself to airplane windows

i love the flights. i just hate the airport

i've started enjoying the airport as an opportunity for very pure meditation on the sordidness of the modern human condition.

it is a very good mirror. a miniature entirely commercialized police state, filled with harried people who choose to be there despite actually not at all wanting to.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i don't read during takeoff anyway because i like to look out the window and marvel at how loving fast i'm going and watch as things on the ground get smaller and smaller

same but then at landing time my eyes are slammed shut and I’m white knuckling the armrests because i just know the pilot’s gonna touch the plane down wrong and we’re gonna bounce back up into the sky, overshoot the runway and the breaks will fail and we’ll flip over because they catch a wheel because we’re sideways etc.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
oh also they’ll slam the plane down too hard because at the last minute there will be a wind gust that drops the plane when they are above the runway. it’ll break the landing gear or something. idk I’m not an airplane scientist.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i've started enjoying the airport as an opportunity for very pure meditation on the sordidness of the modern human condition.

it is a very good mirror. a miniature entirely commercialized police state, filled with harried people who choose to be there despite actually not at all wanting to.

whats the worst airport youve been to.

mine is jingdezhen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

or maybe that one was the best. idk. it had no facilities just a single vending machine, barely even a toilet, and it was dirty as heck

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the best airport is the one from wings

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fart simpson posted:

mine is jingdezhen

the worst i regularly find myself at (or did in the before-times) is addis ababa.

that's bad in a different way though, just run on a shoestring and overcrowded. for the reflection of a soulless capitalist workd relatively efficient places like heathrow or dubai does the trick better. uniformed people watching over miserable daydrunks in a sea of advertising.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Like, two weeks, nine years ago, working forest service trail crew. Built a bridge. Hotsprings right next to a waterfall. Learned how to use a come along to move boulders and how to stack rocks.

And then I don’t interact with screens at burns, so, like, a week at a time a few times a year.

NOT THIS YEAR THO

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

fart simpson posted:

geneva

how many loving shops selling ugly twenty grand watches do you need?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

had a summer job away from home when i was 19. the house i lived in didn't have internet (i can't remember if it couldn't or if we were just too cheap to get it) so i mostly just hosed around all day with roommates/locals. it was a good summer, away from computers. so like 2-3 months?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Without a desktop/laptop, I think maybe between 2-3 weeks on a vacation. I realized that was a mistake and then always took an 10" 2 in 1 with me.

Without a phone maybe a few hours if I was out diving or the battery died.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

san salvador was super weird because instead of x-ray machines they had a giant room with like 100 men and women in boy scout uniforms standing at tables, and you just go up and plunk down your bags and shoes and stand there while they take everything out and put it back in.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

JFK. So loving crowded and grimy. The exit tubes from the airplanes had this grimy black stripe from peoples hands over the years. The low-cost terminal at Kuala Lumpur was a loving palace by comparison.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

what’s the longest flight you’ve done

it doesn't matter. i know your number is bigger

there are many reasons i do not fly international

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

what’s the longest flight you’ve done

what, like, as a passenger?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
7 years

unless using a speak and spell counts, in which case 5 years i guess

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

JFK. So loving crowded and grimy. The exit tubes from the airplanes had this grimy black stripe from peoples hands over the years. The low-cost terminal at Kuala Lumpur was a loving palace by comparison.

Worse than EWR? That place feels like it's a set in a Kafka adaptation.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

the shittiest airport I’ve been to is leeds/bradford “””international””” very grimy and yuck.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
If you ever in the Amsterdam International Airport their McDonald's sells Kit-Kat McFlurries, i had diarrhea when traveling back from Tanzania but was still so worth the additional diarrhea on top

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
has anyone ever given up using a computer for lent?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

definitely.

i bet people have even left an open computer at the lan party for elijah during passover.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I meant more like itt

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

it doesn't matter. i know your number is bigger

there are many reasons i do not fly international

i dont mean to say youre wrong here because im the real traveler. i actually kinda like long flights because im short and can sit comfortably even in economy. i get to catch up on books and movies and be offline for a while. its good

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Was Kansas City/mci's layout incredibly dumb before 9/11?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
before covid hit i did denver > budapest and that sucked pretty hard

all time i think my longest was san diego to bangkok but that was a while back and i dont remember exactly how long it was

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

i dont mean to say youre wrong here because im the real traveler. i actually kinda like long flights because im short and can sit comfortably even in economy. i get to catch up on books and movies and be offline for a while. its good

gotcha, yeah flying is one of the things where i am glad i'm not tall. Skyscrapers seem miserable on airplanes.

i miss watching lovely comic hero movies on my ipad on flights. thats the only time i watch them.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the worst airport is jfk terminal 2. what a loving pit of hell

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dougdrums posted:

Was Kansas City/mci's layout incredibly dumb before 9/11?

oh, gently caress. forgot about that one. yeah. as of four years ago or so it was still very dumb as they had to make all of these half assed reconfigurations for security theater but without the right space/configuration.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

and the entrance to their rental car hub thingy is like going into a fortified u boat pen

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Wellington —> Oslo. but with two stopovers so yeah. if anything it made the journey more fun.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Wellington —> Oslo. but with two stopovers so yeah. if anything it made the journey more fun.

longest individual leg 19 hours chicago -> shanghai on a 747. it was only like a quarter full so it was pretty great. i had 5 seats to myself.

longest trip with stopovers idk probably san francisco -> vijayawada over the course of a day and a half.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I forgot to add the Wellington to Auckland leg. so it was three stops not two. I am sorry for misleading you all, internet friends.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

woah woah woah moocow. i need some time to process that. having some trust issues rn.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I may be yospos champ here, I flew Auckland to Chicago in January which I think is 15 hours. i’ve also done Auckland to Houston which is similar

I think the only longer commercial flight (in the before time) was Abu Dhabi to Auckland.

on thread topic: I think maybe 3-4 weeks at a time when I was travelling in se asia, but then i woiluld use a computer in a hostel or whatever to check email and banking and poo poo. or the 8 years of glorious childhood pre-computer

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I've done JFK->Hong Kong->Sydney, total time was about 30 hours counting the layover. That was rough.

Longest gone without a computer is whenever I travel for a week or so. I never take my laptop with me, just my phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Weaponized Autism posted:

I've done JFK->Hong Kong->Sydney, total time was about 30 hours counting the layover. That was rough.

Longest gone without a computer is whenever I travel for a week or so. I never take my laptop with me, just my phone.

sydney -> san francisco -> ohio. i think it was ~25 hours with the layover

longest time without a computer: a couple weeks ago i closed my laptop to make room for a pizza box