Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Slavvy posted:

If you have a normal front wheel, it's worth improving. If you have a 21" sell immediately and get a working bike instead.

I have seen the roadster at dealers with both the clip on bars and genuine looking normal bars, I think the clipons are an option you can just not tick. My main problem with that bike was my knee hitting the air filter, the seat is kind of sporty and puts you in a position to want to grip the tank but it isn't possible at all.

What you really want is an xr1200 anyway.

If I had a choice between carb and EFI on a Harley I'd pick carb every time. They're just so much nicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdJ0DKE3byY

I know this isn't quite what you're talking about but I asked on an Indian tech Facebook page if anybody ever put a carb on a Polaris Indian motor and everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

I figure people should be able to do what they want with their bikes but I've always preferred carburetors and keys to EFI and fobs.

I was able to take the wife's 2018 heritage out today though and it's a pretty drama-free bike.

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Aug 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There are folks who have converted 2nd gen SV650’s to carbs.

Something to do with race bikes but I’m not sure what.

It’s not unheard of that’s for sure.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

If you have a normal front wheel, it's worth improving. If you have a 21" sell immediately and get a working bike instead.

I have seen the roadster at dealers with both the clip on bars and genuine looking normal bars, I think the clipons are an option you can just not tick. My main problem with that bike was my knee hitting the air filter, the seat is kind of sporty and puts you in a position to want to grip the tank but it isn't possible at all.

What you really want is an xr1200 anyway.

If I had a choice between carb and EFI on a Harley I'd pick carb every time. They're just so much nicer.

16" wheels front and back (I think 2009 and earlier had the 21" front).

I've heard/read the Roadster seat is unusable, just like all stock Sportster seats. The air filter in the way is just a bonus.

The XR1200 looks like a riot but the seating position isn't for me, mainly the pegs are too far back. Also it's really hard to find one of these that hasn't been hosed with.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

epswing posted:

16" wheels front and back (I think 2009 and earlier had the 21" front).

I've heard/read the Roadster seat is unusable, just like all stock Sportster seats. The air filter in the way is just a bonus.

The XR1200 looks like a riot but the seating position isn't for me, mainly the pegs are too far back. Also it's really hard to find one of these that hasn't been hosed with.

Never seen anyone day that before, have you sat on one? They feel like a squat ADV.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Never seen anyone day that before, have you sat on one? They feel like a squat ADV.

I've sat on a couple but never actually ridden one, so that doesn't count. When I think about it, I guess the complaints I've read about Roadster seats are mainly from hdforums.com and xlforum.net, and while those forums have been good technical resources, opinions about comfort are just that, subjective opinions.

Only way to calibrate the butt-gauge is to just ride one. I wish rentals weren't so expensive.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Right, so now that I've discovered what the top half of the tachometer is for, is it ok to red line Bob a minute after starting up from cold?

Or is that bad for the engine.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

Right, so now that I've discovered what the top half of the tachometer is for, is it ok to red line Bob a minute after starting up from cold?

It depends on the amount of load on the engine and how fast you rev up the engine. I.e. slowly climbing to redline in neutral is different from whacking open the throttle uphill. But if you want to take care of your stuff, wait until the oil's properly warmed up. Which of course depends on various factors but a ballpark is 20 minutes of riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

90% of engine wear occurs when the oil is cold, never ever do this, it's basically the only time the metal parts have a chance of touching. Harleys are particularly vulnerable here because of the added possibility of uneven barrel heating and the hydraulic lifters being very unhappy when the oil is thick and gooey. Just ride around normally until it's warmed up; in the absence of any kind of gauge or idiot light

High Protein posted:

a ballpark is 20 minutes of riding.

Don't be tempted to just leave it idling, that's also dumb and bad, just jump on and ride it gently until it's warm.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Don't be tempted to just leave it idling, that's also dumb and bad, just jump on and ride it gently until it's warm.

Agreed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

For a fun and informative experiment, invest in an oil temp gauge and a pressure gauge; you can actually see the temperature crossover point where the oil warms up because the idle pressure drops off a cliff and at the same time the engine starts sounding noisier. One of the many ways Harleys are delightfully old world and give the chance to observe things that have long ago been engineered into invisibility on normal bikes.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Slavvy posted:

For a fun and informative experiment, invest in an oil temp gauge and a pressure gauge; you can actually see the temperature crossover point where the oil warms up because the idle pressure drops off a cliff and at the same time the engine starts sounding noisier. One of the many ways Harleys are delightfully old world and give the chance to observe things that have long ago been engineered into invisibility on normal bikes.

Or if you have a FP3 plugged in you can see that in live data as there are sensors for oil pressure and temp in the bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Valt posted:

Or if you have a FP3 plugged in you can see that in live data as there are sensors for oil pressure and temp in the bike.

The older bikes have a cylinder head temp sensor, perhaps oil temp is more useful somehow? I'm not familiar with the later EFI stuff, I didn't realize they would bother monitoring oil pressure. Do you know what for? Hard to think of a reason the EFI would need to know.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Slavvy posted:

The older bikes have a cylinder head temp sensor, perhaps oil temp is more useful somehow? I'm not familiar with the later EFI stuff, I didn't realize they would bother monitoring oil pressure. Do you know what for? Hard to think of a reason the EFI would need to know.

I mean it would certainly have a low oil pressure dummy light. So you would need a sensor to do that. On my Dyna the FP3 is just plugged into the diag port on the bike so its using the built in computer to pull live data. The computers do more then just EFI, they deal with turn signals and lights and what not. It will throw codes if a turn signal is removed or broken.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeah I get all that, but for an idiot light you just need a pressure switch, which is much much cheaper and simpler to implement than actual pressure sensing. In cars they often display live data that isn't 'real' but rather extrapolated, like exhaust manifold temp without a sensor for example, and perhaps they're extrapolating pressure via oil temp + rpm? But I'm still trying to think of why you would need to monitor oil pressure at all in the absence of any kind of vvti system because there isn't anything the system can do to act on the information besides turning on the idiot light, which can be done with a simple switch.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Thanks guys, will keep it at low revs till it’s warmed up for twenty minutes or so from now on.

No one tells you this stuff when you’re a newbie.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks guys, will keep it at low revs till it’s warmed up for twenty minutes or so from now on.

No one tells you this stuff when you’re a newbie.

You aren't going to hurt unless you are a complete rear end with it anyways. As long as you aren't immediately trying to do wheelies its probably totally fine. Change the oil and don't crash it and that will be all it ever needs.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
please do not just be redlining your bike as a general everyday operation thing. not because i think it will shoot a piston through your face but because it only goes to reinforce many of the dumb stereotypes about motorcyclists.

sincerely yours

a guy with a loud dumb obnoxious bike

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

please do not just be redlining your bike as a general everyday operation thing. not because i think it will shoot a piston through your face but because it only goes to reinforce many of the dumb stereotypes about motorcyclists.

sincerely yours

I'll ride my 125 any way I drat well please

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

sincerely yours

I keep it at low revs anywhere near other people including in towns.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

How about electric bikes, can you give em the beans from a cold start?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

How about electric bikes, can you give em the beans from a cold start?

From what I've read about EVs that's kinda the only time you can give them the beans. The performance drops as the battery gets below 80%.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Fair enough, thanks!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

please do not just be redlining your bike as a general everyday operation thing.

No :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You’re not my supervisor!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
nvrmind!

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Oct 6, 2021

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
looking at an '06 sporty 1200 for a potential project bike, has 13k on the dial, branded title, damage to pipes and tank (haven't seen in person yet and does not show up in the average craigslist photos dude took), and then in my emails back and forth the guy hits me with this conveniently undisclosed information;

quote:

It is not running. the Starter is working hard, there is spark, but it wont start,
Could be fuel. The mechanic rode it in the garage 2+ years ago, I did not start it enough.
The Next troubleshoot might be spraying something into the carburetor / air filter area, just thinking out loud.
If you're able to come by & have a look at it, consider buying it great,

He's asking $3500 and, seeing as I'm going to likely strip the majority of the stock components and chop the frame anyway, I'd consider going in at $3k but am curious to hear y'alls opinions, will likely go take a peek tomorrow

ALSO there's another '95 in the area with ~7k on it where guy says he's looking for $3400 firm. part of me likes the idea of having two of the same oddball year of sporty so i can swap parts/wheels/etc if needed but I'm not entirely convinced that's as big of a benefit as it may seem.

IM DAY DAY IRL fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 8, 2021

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

looking at an '06 sporty 1200 for a potential project bike, has 13k on the dial, branded title, damage to pipes and tank (haven't seen in person yet and does not show up in the average craigslist photos dude took), and then in my emails back and forth the guy hits me with this conveniently undisclosed information;

He's asking $3500 and, seeing as I'm going to likely strip the majority of the stock components and chop the frame anyway, I'd consider going in at $3k but am curious to hear y'alls opinions, will likely go take a peek tomorrow

ALSO there's another '95 in the area with ~7k on it where guy says he's looking for $3400 firm. part of me likes the idea of having two of the same oddball year of sporty so i can swap parts/wheels/etc if needed but I'm not entirely convinced that's as big of a benefit as it may seem.

3500 is to much for a non running sportster. Especially one that has been dropped. Though I doubt there is anything wrong with the motor.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
update: went today to check out the bike, sprayed some starter in the carb and it fired up with very little issue. wouldn't idle consistently with 2+ year old gas in the tank but i offered the guy $3k and he said yeah. heading back on monday to pick it up so i can then drop twice that much on parts over the next two years like a True Harley Guy

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look forward to seeing piles of sportster parts scattered on your garage floor, as is tradition.

06 with a carb is a good find, it'll make life a lot easier if you're going to do chopper stuff to it.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
i still have all my sporty pull-offs from the last go-around so i'm no stranger to the "you know, i really gotta get out to the swap meets this summer" mentality

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
Ugh my friend is going to test ride a new low rider s. So now I started looking at street glides. I have no interest in something that doesn’t have hard bags or a windscreen. To bad prices are pretty silly for used ones. I’m definitely not spending 20k plus on a new one. But something like this is probably doable.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/saint-johns-2014-harley-streetglide/7381097064.html

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
If any of you are aware of decent HD classifieds accounts on IG or the web (e.g. @thechopswap on IG, chopcult's classified section on their site, etc.) please post 'em ITT so I can not go broke on this build, thanks in advance

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

If any of you are aware of decent HD classifieds accounts on IG or the web (e.g. @thechopswap on IG, chopcult's classified section on their site, etc.) please post 'em ITT so I can not go broke on this build, thanks in advance

What exactly are you after?

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Valt posted:

What exactly are you after?

here's the short list of things that i put together during a short brainstorming session the other day but basically anything that would help facilitate a norcal/frisco style build of the aformentioned 06 sporty

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

here's the short list of things that i put together during a short brainstorming session the other day but basically anything that would help facilitate a norcal/frisco style build of the aformentioned 06 sporty

You are honestly much better served by fixing the one you have and turn around sell it for 4k. Then buy a motor and all the stuff you need. It kind of doesn't make sense to buy a running bike and basically only use the motor. I don't know where you are so the title stuff could be weird. But Paughco frames come with an MSO and you would just register it as a new bike. So if you have to pass inspection it would need to do so. You can likely get a rolling hard tail frame for less then 2k and a motor for 1500.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
thanks dad

anyone else have any recs for used parts options online?

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Valt posted:

You are honestly much better served by fixing the one you have and turn around sell it for 4k.

Are you trying to use logic? You know this is the Harley thread right?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It seems reasonable that if you're basically building a sportster from scratch, you're better off just getting an engine considering there will be almost nothing of the original bike left. Idk how the costing works out but usually they're worth more as a complete bike than a collection of parts with no engine.

But yeah Harley thread go hog wild.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Slavvy posted:

there will be almost nothing of the original bike left

this keeps being brought up despite the fact that there are major components of this bike that will very likely still be present in the final build. i don't really feel like spending time getting in some goofy digital scrum over a custom motorcycle min/max plan for cost and labor efficiency so i will simply say that i find great pleasure and reward in the process of doing a DIY build with the resources available to me. spending $3500 on a frame and motor to then have to also purchase every single individual component (as opposed to doing things like adding new tubes to an existing fork and triple tree, cutting an existing frame, putting new rubber on existing wheels, etc. etc.) is simply not an option. this is also a main reason why i asked for recommendations for swapper accounts in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok, if that's the case then you could save some money by not getting an entire wiring harness cause the sporty already has one you can modify. This is both funner and cheaper than just buying one.